Post Mono Depression and Depersonalization

Posted , 5 users are following.

A few months ago I contracted mono while at university. Admittedly, I didn't take care of myself accordingly afterwards. I still lifted and stayed up late doing homework. Upon returning home on Thanksgiving break, I started getting feelings of anxiety upon talking to others and having to do things and started feeling tired even after getting a good night's sleep. Then over Christmas break I didn't really want to do anything nor talk to anyone. Since then, I've returned to University and have come to find that I cannot focus on anything and have no ambitions. Over previously easy tasks like going to class and buying books I get so anxious and feel like I can't function in the moment. It's as though I'm on a tired, sad, boring autopilot.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Its a horrible feeling I feel you.

theres not much I can say im sorry.

• Posted

I feel like I need to leave school to get help, but my parents told me that I am only covered by insurance if I remain a full-time student. I don't want to stay in school because of the anxiety it causes on a daily basis, and I know that my grades will suffer. What should I do?
    • Posted

Maybe u dont like the school so much...health it's the most important.Cant you take vacations for healths issues?
    • Posted

unfortunately not and if I disenroll for a semester, my student loans will kick in, which I cannot afford
  • Posted

The start of my depression was linked to post viral fatigue after mono (or glandular fever). I had to drop out of my uni course, I lost all motivation. It took a long time for the fatigue to get improve, but still have a problem with depression.

It makes you feel very low not having the energy to do more than the essentials (sometimes not even that) and I felt bad having to drop out of my course. I was put on antidepressants, not sure if they really helped at the time I was still exhausted with little activity but maybe lifted mood slightly or made me OK with sitting about and not doing anything.

I would try to speak to your university to see if they can do anything to help.

Sounds like you are in US, with health insurance, and in a dificult situation.

If the only way you have health insurance is staying in the course then I would try to go through the motions of the course, skip a few classes to get some rest and see a doctor, try to do enough just not to get kicked off, beg/borrow/steal coursework. Hopefully your recovery won't take so long, not sure if you can repeat the year if your work suffers, but the most important thing is it would give some time to allow you access to medical help.

• Posted

I see that these postings are 3 years old, but I happen to be going through this very problem now. Mono symptoms began in early June--this is already mid-August and while the worst symptoms are over, there is continued sleepiness/fatigue, and a depression that seems to coincide with how I feel physically. It's unusual for me to have a low mood that just keeps going, day after day. Being unable to face big responsibilities only makes it worse. How long does it take to lift?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.