Post op 7 days

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I had anterior & posterior 3rd degree prolapse surgery 7 days ago. I am also on clexane injections to prevent blood clots (due to previous DVT) & have to wear compression stockings for 6 weeks post op. I was virtually sent home with little information regarding recovery. I would love to know what the recommended time frame is for driving again. Also I have a holiday booked in less than 6 weeks, which is a 10 hour drive, after reading everyone's posts I'm starting to worry that I won't have recovered enough for this long journey and are you allowed to go swimming at 6 weeks after this surgery. This has really knocked me off my feet, was not expecting this much after pain afterwards.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Im 3 weeks post op and like you was given little information about recovery. what i was told was :

near enough bed rest for first two weeks

then build up to doing 5mins per day and increase so that by 6weeks I'll be able to do 45mins 

no lifting for 12weeks

no driving till see consultant at six week check.

see how you feel, everyones copes and recovers differently and i would also speak to your consultant about your holiday

hope you recover well x

• Posted

Oh my goodness. Did the hospital know about your holiday before the operation?

Driving is six weeks as per insurance company recommendation.

Took me 5-6 weeks to start feeling better.

Could not have done anymore than an hour of sitting in a car even now 13 weeks and I wouldn't like more than three hours or so.

• Posted

Don't think chlorine in the pool will do you any good. Could make you sore and inflamed etc
  • Posted

Hello. Another hospital not giving ladies much information. I despair! Firstly I answer your question about driving. Most insurance companies and consultants recommend you wait until you are 6 weeks post op because before then it is difficult to perform an emergency stop. Some companies say it's up to your doctor but it's best to check. There's a test to see if you can do an emergency stop but please don't attempt it yet. You have to stap your foot hard on an uncarpeted floor and if you don't have pain then you should be ok but still double check. 

For the first 2 weeks you shouldn't do anything and definitely no lifting except a kettle with a small amount of water, nothing heavier. After that mobilise gradually and if you get tired, stop and on no account push yourself. Listen to your body has been my motto for nearly 40 years now!  

Have you got plenty of pain relief? Take it regularly and don't wait until the pain is severe. There's no point in being a martyr. 

Are you driving on this holiday? I think you will struggle if you are but if not you should be ok but you'll be uncomfortable still sitting for long periods so you'll need lots of breaks.

• Posted

Surgery was planned for a few months time, but everything sorta "fell out" so it then became urgent surgery. Now my holiday is going to clash with recovery gggrrrr!!! I wasn't even shown how to give my own injections when I left hospital, just had to read the instructions!!! Definately not enough info given to women in regards to what & when you can do things after this surgery. This forum has been so informative - a big thank you x
    • Posted

Good question barbara because I'm giving UK advice on driving. It's probably not the same in other countries.
  • Posted

Hi recovery does take a lot of time and rest, I had what you had plus hysterectomy it took 6 weeks before I could drive and 8 weeks before return to work anf I am still experiencing some lower abdomen and back pain 6 months on, but I would say probably 3 months for a good recovery. Good luck
  • Posted

No not UK, I'm in Australia. I will check with my insurance company today about driving. They tell us to rest, but having four young children at home makes it quite difficult & husband only has one more week off. Thanks ladies smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.