Post Op Blues

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Having had my gallbladder removed on the 25th April I am now feeling pretty fed up. I started to feel really well and was able to introduce foods back into my diet. I had a couple of weeks set back with a urine infection for which I was given anitbiotics and felt better but now I feel wretched. I am getting pain in the gallbladder area and in the side of my upper back. I have nausea and I have vomitted twice in the last 10 days (3 times in total since op). I can't face food and so am feeling miserable. I know I still have the hiatus hernia and Barrett's to deal with but this is making me feel very down. Am I the only one who hasn't had a full recovery? Everyone seems to say how much better they feel after the op and I am just longing for that.

Sorry to be a moaner but I just don't want food to be the enemy again.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Maggie,Sorry to hear you are not feeling too well. I wouldn't worry too much as I have digestive problems as well now,and so does my daughter in law. If she eats anything\"controversial\" like a small piece of cream cake she has griping pains and has to dash to the toilet. I have the same as well . I am getting a lot of pain in the area under my rib cage which I would call the solar plexis and I cant eat any dairy products at all now. I seem to be worse at lunchtime.I always wait for at least an hour before I go out, after I eat at lunchtime, as I usually have to rush to the toilet.I seem to have a lot of bile in my stomach.I am still on the bland low fat diet as I cant tolerate any grease.Nichola and I are both still suffering the after effects of the operation. She is also under a lot of strain as her mother has been diagnosed with bowel cancer,and is waiting for a CT and MRI scan to see if it has spread.All we can do is hope it is a low grade,as she has had no obvious symptoms. So ,don't despair Maggie,this is just a glitch,and it takes your body a bit longer to adjust to the bile being put straight in to your stomach instead of being stored in the gallbladder.Aches and pains are all a part of getting older I am afraid.The doctors can give you medication to ease any symptoms,there is always something you can do.

Take care,

Jean

• Posted

When did your Abdomen originally brake down [b:118ebfef9f]Gemini[/b:118ebfef9f]? Mine went kaput in Aug 07 and yeah Im still here needing something looking at :?
  • Posted

I have had digestive problems most of my life. It took a real turn for the worst in 2007. I started getting severe pains in the chest and then gradually the appetite went completely and the attacks (which I now know were due to the gallstones) started coming with vengeance. I spent my life not eating, vommitting and in great pain. My weight dropped 4 stones and I truly believe that my friends and family were so shocked at the change in my appearance that they thought I had cancer.

I do feel better after the op but still have Barrett's and a hiatus hernia. I have vommitted 3 times since the op and some days I have pain, wind and feel nauseous. The good days are great. The bad days are awful. Can't win.

• Posted

Well another day of feeling really sick and severe pain in my upper right hand side of back. Vommited a little with a very bitter taste. Hubbie insisted I try to eat a little but I am scared to. These off days are awful and it makes you begin to wonder what the heck is going on. Really expected things to be a lot different than this after the gallbladder removed. Maybe something else is causing it.

Are you ok Dr Spock?

• Posted

Just seen my GP. I need a Vitamin B supplement. An examination showed that my hernia on the abdomen is back, but just small at the moment and that my bowels are not emptying. She gave me a B tablet and something to take to help the bowels. She feels that this can cause nausea etc. She also said that sometimes there can be pain in the area of the removed gallbladder where things stick! I also have to continue taking Domperidone until nausea eases. Hopefully things will improve.
  • Posted

Good Luck Gemini. I'm routing for you and sending positive thoughts your way. I hope it is sorted out for you soon.
  • Posted

Many thanks. I am worried about Dr Spock. No word from him/her lately.
  • Posted

Oh sorry [b:efe39cf3ee]Gemini[/b:efe39cf3ee] I was just off licking my wounds / in a mood :oops: :D

Hmm your condition isn't great, you should be able to eat quite well by now :? Your Abdomen needs looking at by some means to make sure its all in order smile My Abdomen is back in order now after my last attack, Ive decided that Ill fix myself up next time I need actual help off my GP's :roll:

• Posted

i am sorry you are having a bad time right now gemini, sorry for not replying sooner but i have had internet issues!! i have also been having a bit of a rough time - my oven has broken down and i did not appreciate how good my general eating was, as a result i have spent the last 3 weeks living of microwave ready meals - i am suffering with frequent nausea and occasional sickness due to my diet (the good news is the man who looked at my oven has got the part but needs to wait untill my next day off to fix it!!) i will be really worrried if my problems dont resolve once i get back to my normal home cooked eating pattern!! also i ave been really stressed at work due to circumstances we have been down from 6 full time members of staff to 2 - which has not helped!! everything should get back to normal next week.

i hope yu are feeling better soon!

vix

• Posted

Glad to hear back from both Dr Spock and Vixen. You both have been a very supportive pair on this site. I spoke to a dear ex colleague who had her gallbladder out quite a few years ago. She told me that for 2 years she cried with the pain after the op.! No one would listen to her. Eventually a reflexologist worked on the muscles on her back and that seemed to ease the pain but she [b:66fec352e8]still[/b:66fec352e8] has problems with eating.

I fear a lot of my problems are the fact that my bowels (sorry about this) are just not working properly. I am taking fibre granules and Lactulose (on doctors instructions) but with very little effect. Anyone got a stick of dynamite. Perhaps I should watch a horror film. Nevertheless I managed to get to Sheffield for a sewing course and to see my sister so that's something good.

Hope you both get your problems sorted and any other fellow sufferers.

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling too well. I was away for a week visiting my sister. I have the opposite problem to you ,as I tend to have to rush to the loo after almost every meal,and then for a few days there is nothing at all.I am still getting a lot of pain in my upper rib cage area,and it is happening at night now,when I am lying in bed.My sister had her gallbladder removed 20 years ago by the conventional method,and never had half the problems I have had. She and her husband eat butter,cream,curries etc,and both smoke. Her husband drinks a few glasses of wine every day,and has never had a days illness in his life.They have no children and have a very relaxing lifestyle,and I think that has a lot to do with it nowadays as well.

Nichola's Mum got good news about her bowel cancer as it hasn't spread,so no chemotherapy,but she will have a colostomy bag for life. Small price to pay. All our prayers were answered.We visited the shrine in Walsingham in Norfolk when we were down there at my sister's,and brought back some of the water for her.

I hope you feel so much better soon,Maggie,I will be thinking of you.

Take care.

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean Glad Nicola's Mum is better and hope things go better for you. I've had quite a good day today (Lactulose working!). Feel a bit nauseous tonight but that may be the little chicken dinner I had. I am sure things will even out for all of and in many ways I expect we are much better than the days when we had the gallstones.

Nor sure what Fleet is Dr Spock but will investigate further :D

Here's to pain free days and the better eating options.

• Posted

Oh sorry, look up Fleet Enema :oops: :D Anyway you dont need it now, but Im surprised you was / are constipated as its usually the opposite smile Oh god I hope you havent ended up with IBS :?

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up