Post Op Check Up

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello , I had my gallbladder removed almost 6 months ago

and I haven't been called back for a post op check up .

Anyone else the same ? Is a check up needed ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

How are you doing?  You should have had a check up--usually 10 days after surgery, and then at 6 weeks.  If you're In the UK or in another country that has a similar health system, they usually just cut you loose and hope nothing bad happens. sad

• Posted

hi,they dont seem to follow up anymore, i was discharged next day, never heard any thing, told to take it easy, that was it, no tablets, nothing, 
  • Posted

Unless there's a reason for a call back appointment then they don't call you back in the UK. I was called back after a month as they didn't think that a gallbladder removal was going to reduce all the pain I was having so the surgeon had to refer me back to gastro.

When I left hospital I was armed with gastro contact numbers, if anything bad is going to happen its usually occurs soon after surgery.

So don't worry about not being called back, if there's something wrong then go to your gp otherwise just let it heal naturally.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Linda! Since yesterday I had an open cholecystectomy some 25 years ago from the Philippines, I haven’t seen my surgeon. Never had any follow up check up. I was even told by my doctor that I can now now eat now anything and just go easy on meats. I had some bloating from time to time but since I started taking beano just before eating large meal;  my bloating has left me. In fact it has been  some three years now when I stopped using beano and everything seems to be alright with me. I hope everything will be alright to all the people who underwent GB removal. 
    • Posted

Sorry for the typo. Please disregard the yesterday on my first sentence. My thoughts are faster than my fingers. And if your not careful enough this smartphone sometimes type words that you don’t really mean. Hehehe. smile
  • Posted

Hi All , Thanks for your replies.

I still have a lot of problems eating . GP has made me an appointment

with a gastroenterologist . It's a major surgery, I think everyone should

have a follow up , ah well that's the NHS for you . I appreciate what we get

but aftercare is terrible ! I'm feeling rather depressed as I'm no better off having

surgery as I can barely eat anything, still getting awful gas pains after eating.

I can only tolerate potato, toast and sometimes a few crisps ! I've lost so much weight. Anyone else the same ?

• Posted

Hi Linda!

Try taking Beano. It is a digestive enzyme that would help you from getting gas and being bloated. You take it just before eating your meal. I did it for a while and it worked. 

• Posted

I had mine done 25 years ago. I wasn’t required for any follow up check up unless. I stayed one full day at the hospital.  I had all the gas and bloating before. I discovered about beano an OTC digestive enzyme and since then I rarely get gas. I stopped taking it for a while now to see if I can eat the foods I want without the fear of digestive discomfort, so far so good for me. Just don’t overeat. smile
  • Posted

I didn't have a post op check up either.  When I was discharged after the removal (I had to stay in for a few days as I'd had complications) I asked about a check up and was told it wasn't necessary, just check in with your GP. 

If you are wanting any reassurances, I'd got to your GP and take it from there

• Posted

Linda, sorry I wrote my reply to your original post before realising that others had responded too.  Good luck with going forward.  You are so doing the right thing pursuing it all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.