Post op concerns

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am one of the lucky ones who have had my op one month ago. The relief from pain after eating was great. However I do find my stomach is distended and I have a lot of wind which is uncomfortable at night.I bled an awful lot during the op so have gauze inserted in the wound. The consutant was very surprised at this as I was not on warfarin or similar. However I had been taking numerous alternative medicines in an effort to reduce my pain levels. Surgeon say some of these may have similar effect to warfarin so it's worth bearing in mind if you are similarly tempted by all the online claims to combat gall stone pain in this way.Does anyone know if the distended stomach is something I just have to live with? I can hardly wear my bra for more than a few hours. Similarly my jeans.I had lost well over a stone in weight but cannot buy fitting clothes because of this.

Dont Be put off getting the op but please be aware of these considerations. It great to have a coffee pain free as well other things. As I know it's early days I'm hoping these problems will pass. Meanwhile at age 72, I look at least 6 months pregnant !!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine, Thank you for your post. I am still awaiting surgery, so cannot really help as regards your question. Just wanted to say it is good to here from someone  over 60 who has had surgery as many of the people who have posted in these groups appear to be in their 30s - I guess as many gallbladder problems flare up due to hormones and pregnancies, etc. I have been feeling nervous as my sugery looms as not had any ops for 10 years and last time I was not only younger but also fitter and had not had months of poor nutrition and pain as this time. Did you have stones?

I have bloated stomach already, something that has never troubled me until the Gb saga, so it may be that it does cause this and could do so until all healing completes, which may be up to 6 months I believe for abdominal surgery. Are you having any follow up appointments? I know these are less common these days - I was a bit surprised after a hysterectomy that I was discharged by letter and no-one ever wanted to check I was OK.

Your point about alternative medicines is interesting and true, they do have effects on our body same as other meds although they may be gentler. It is something of a minefield trying to find remedies for gallstone pain and natural people look for something as it can desperate with the long wait for surgery and there being little on offer from the Dr meantime. I've tried lots of things as I had a bit of prior knowledge, but nothing has really stopped the inevitable route towards surgery once things start to deteriorate.

I truly hope you have a good recovery and keep enjoying the foods and drink you could not before and that your tummy will soon return to normal size. Take care and post an update when you can smile

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I too am lucky ,having had my surgery to remove gall bladder getting on for six weeks or so.i don't have a distended stomach but I do get wind ( something I've always hidden from my husband but now he just laughs :-) ha ha.

im wondering if the bloated news comes from that as I do sometimes swell a bit depending on what I have eaten.  I am gradually learning to change my diet and see over a period of time if this improves things.  I had my cut under the bust line about 10 long and am struggling to find comfortable u defeat. I have had good days and bad days over the last few weeks but am finding this week to be the best as I am now noticing my progress although I cannot wait to sleep on my side once again.  I lost a stone and have not regained it I'm assuming again because of my change in diet.  I have been advised that maybe in the future I will suffer from adhesions which can be painful but this can be treated.

Anyway well done you on your surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery....

• Posted

thanks for telling us about alternative meds. i vastly underestimated them until i realized that pharmaceutical compaines dont want us taking those as there is no money it in for them so they say everything is beyond proof and i'v now found that out to be a pack of lies.  doctors are paid £25 for prescribing certain drugs to people and also to get them to take certain vaccines. they are invited to seminars by those big companies who promote their drugs and are treated with many gifts in top class hotels where they are invited to stay before there seminars.i know this to be true. many people, especially in america know a lot about this. the fact that they put people on statins who can do without them is a disgrace. many of those big companies have been sued and are still in the process of being sued by many peope especially in america. im not sure about your tummy but im glad things are going well otherwise.
  • Posted

also i meant to say that anything im taking thats not from the doctor i will stop 2 weeks before my op and i was even told to stop drinking apple cider vinegar two weeks before operation, when i went for my pre op assesment. 💐
    • Posted

yes that true. i also have been drinking  black seed oil so i will stop that as well. i did not mention that to the  nurses though as she wouldnt know what it was and i find it hard to explain. it has helped me in the past. its full of vitamins and good for boosting the immune system. it tastes horrible but after a few weeks you get used to it. you can always look it up on internest and lost of utube videos on it as well. it comes in shampoo and soaps to. 
    • Posted

That is interesting. I took Apple cider vinegar almost every day right up until the day before my op. It helped with th pain. Nobody advised me at anytime  what not to take. My surgeon who is the top man in his field shrugged  his shoulder and admitted to knowing nothing about alternative therapies. I find this disgraceful as it is  true of most conventionally trained  medical graduates in the uk. I almost needed a blood transfusion he cheerily told me. I'm not too bad really but tired all the time and don't sleep well at all. The surgeon who did the op did not do the preop assessment. He told me if I waited for nhs hospital I would get a trainee and the minimum waiting was 6 months. 
    • Posted

Six months sounds about right or even optimistic. I've been waiting over five and I've now been transfered to another hospital because mine said I'd have to wait until June or quite possibly longer. I've been waiting since October.
    • Posted

cynthia.its also said that regular drinking of apple cider vinegar thins the blood. i looked it up and was going to copy and paste for you but when i do that they dont post the post. there is also a lot of other negative things said about it. like it burns the throat, takes enamal of teeth. and more but i dont beleive half of it. i use a straw and dilute it well. and it has helped me. but i just thought i'd post this as i do believe myself that it thins the blood. and thats a good reason for some people to take it themself. 
    • Posted

Ah, yes, I would have thought you would need to take a fair bit for it have any major effect on blood, I only have about a teaspoon in apple juice myself but I will stop everything that might be an issue as they ask. Even things like grapefruit juice and garlic have effects, it is interesting. Lots of spices and herbs affect the gallbladder as well.
  • Posted

I'm awaiting surgery as well. My stomach is bloated. I've been working really hard to lose weight AND get fitter in preparation. I just want it over with now but the longer I'm waiting the more time I'm thinking about post op. It's good to have some idea of what to expect. Sorry I can't help you on your query though. I have read that bloating is a side effect of having the op. A month isn't that long but if it persists you should go see your GP
  • Posted

I've been researching bloating as I have it now pre op with a vengeance and worried it will get worse or not improve post op. Seems to be very common after gallbladder surgery which is depressing BUT to be fair it is actually very common after lots of other surgeries as well, if you google it, so maybe just one of those things. Although going back to the drs makes sense as there may be an underlying reason or a remedy.
  • Posted

Honey, you are only one month post op!  You are in such early days of recovery.  I feel you are worrying unneedlessly.  Please try and relax about it.  It will go down.  I too lost blood during my operation - quite unexpected and with no medical reason.  I didn't have gauze but I had had a difficult operation which resulted in the blood loss.  It just takes time.  Take care.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.