Post Op Day 8 advice needed please?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm day 8 post op pushing on with physio been given additional exercises to do plus being attached to a machine on Friday to see a full range of my movements. Am trying on my own suggestion to use one stick today but I'm not sure which had I should be holding the stick in if my operated leg is my left one?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was told always have the stick in the opposite hand, so you should be holding the stick in your right hand.  Good luck
  • Posted

It might be a bit early to go to one stick Freestork, but if you feel happy with it, then do it.  You need it in the opposite hand of the op (so the right one) and it goes forward in timing with the operated leg.  Good luck!:-))))  You are doing so INCREDIBLY well!!!!!  Go girl:-))))
    • Posted

Thanks Chris have managed all morning so far around the home, not sure I would venture outside on one just yet. Am trying to walk as "normal" I have a conscious little achey niggle in centre of my left cheek think it may have been from they way I used to walk so am trying to loosen it. Feel really good still sleeping through night apart from needing loo, and ploughing through physio, have that tight band feeling but doesn't cause me any bother

• Posted

I LOVE this!:-))))  You are ploughing along even faster than I did:-))))))  BIG smiles for you!!!!!!!  Yes, do concentrate on walking with a proper gait - that's important so you don't get back problems.  I slept through the night apart from one night, after I came home, too, if the other knee didn't wake me.  I'm SO SO pleased how you're doing!  The tight band feeling will go.  At ten or eleven weeks now (lost count) my thigh still feels slightly bruised even though there's no sign of bruising (I notice it when knickers go down when I go to the loo etc. and just hit on that band) but other than that, nothing to remind me and sometimes when I wake in the night I have to try and remember which knee was done!  I'm SO excited for you!:-)))))

• Posted

Thanks Chris will keep you posted and look out for your updates x
  • Posted

Use stick in the right hand. Move left leg and stick at the same time
  • Posted

How to use a cane...

1. Hold the cane in the hand on your “good” side so that it provides support to the opposite lower limb

2. Take a step with the “bad” leg and bring the cane forward at the same time. Move the cane and affected leg forward together.

3. Lean your weight through the arm holding the cane as needed

4. Always have the bad leg assume the first full weight-bearing step on level surfaces

5. The cane should be moved the distance of one average step forward with each move. You should not feel that you are stretching to catch up to the cane or stepping ahead of it.

• Posted

Are you goingvto have any physiotherapy? Its early to use just one, why not stick

With two for a bit, to help keep body balanced? I would ask a physio for advice..

• Posted

Hi Jenny yes I'm having physio had 1 session already and am booked for another Monday with an additional session on a machine Friday to measure full range of movement. I will ask when I go back. I've managed fine around home on one but dont think I would venture outside without the 2

• Posted

Glad things are going well! I hope you have plenty of help at home..remember to rest regularly!
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny my partner on nights at moment so is here in day. Wakes me with a cuppa in morning then does lunch when he gets up and helps me with physio. I take myself upstairs before he goes to work. Hopefully he will finish Friday and is then going to take some annual leave. I find tiredness hits quite quick and I take a power nap as and when. Can't wait to drive again thou x

• Posted

All support is much needed! Yes, the tiredness hits quick, and energy just

Does not seem to return as quickly as it used to. But our bodies have A huge

Amount of work still to do. If possible, it's a very good idea to organise

Some visitors, maybe just every other day to pop by and say hello, just to help keep

Your spirits up. Nothing like a friendly face. You will feel low from time to time, even

When things are basically going well. It's just the exhaustion I think. No need to keep a brave

Face on for others. However, I have to confess to this being one of my

Own major temptations!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.