post op gall bladder removal issues - should i see a doctor?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello!

I had my gall bladder removed in february 2014 and i know it takes some time to get things back on track but i'm noticing a few issues, mainly in my stool and i'm not sure if i should be worried and consult a physican or if i should just wait for it to get better.

my stools change constantly and ever since my surgery its either been yellow or black and sometimes normal brown with black stripes. the odour is pretty foul as well (which also only started happening with my gall bladder issues) and most of the time the stools are loose or mushy.

Any advice would be helpful and if you would like any additonal info to help better evaluate my issues please dont hesitate to ask.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi go to your gp. 

Black in poo is a sign of blood. It turns black . 

It may not be anything to do with your gallbladder op.

could be ulcers etc ... 

Best to get it sorted . 

• Posted

hi Sally!

Thanks for your advice. I'm hesitant about the GP just because its not always black.

• Posted

Your gp knows what symptoms are what. 

I don't want to mention the c word but you'll kick yourself if you don't get checked and it is something more serious. There are so many things it could be from ulcers , to cancer. All treatable if u go gp. 

I suppose I am being alert as right now two friends of mine have bowel cancer and are being treated and two are waiting tests to rule it out .... Seems to be a very common cancer right now.

remember the advert on the TV. 

If you have blood in your stools or your stools are loose etc see a doctor . 

Anyway I won't keep nagging it's your call . 

Just concerned . 

• Posted

Hey Sally,

thanks for your concern. admittedly i under react to everything. even figuring out i had gall stones took me a month before i sought medical attention thinking it wasnt serious. I have contact telehealth and they recommended i go to the hospital and they suspect GI bleeding.(like you said if not worse)

I think you really gave me the kick i needed. I will be heading to the emerg later today.

THANK YOU smile

• Posted

Feel sorry for you as you will be worried  now. 

But glad you are getting it sorted if it's ulcers there are drugs that heal them now . 

Hope it goes well . 

• Posted

It sounds like from your discribition you should see your doctor and the stool kit to have your stool check for blood or other thing that might affect it.  i use two table spoons off clear sugar free fiber in my coffee every morning and it keeps my stool in good order.  Hope you get your answers soon.
    • Posted

Hello,

thank you very much for your suggestion. do you think its worth me trying the fibre first?

I know it never hurts to see a doctor but as discolouration could also be nothing serious (food related etc..). I just dont want to make a mountain out of a molehill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.