Post op Nissen Fundoplication

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I had a 360 wrap on Friday and came out of hospital on Monday - I was kept in due to my sats being low.

The main reason for me having this op was due to the chronic throat clearing and coughing I have suffered with for 8 years.

All seemed to be going well for the first couple of days and I know it's still early but I feel like the chronic throat clearing is coming back and it's really getting me down.

Did anyone else suffer with this and did it go away immediately after the operation?

Everything else is fine as I have no heartburn and I am able to swallow liquids ok although I sometimes have a bit of bearable pain.

Thanks

Louise

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise.

Tomorrow is 16 weeks since my op. I had 270 degree wrap, my throat clearing before op was almost like a habit. It used to be at its worst in the morning with thick phlegm that wouldn't shift.

Now 16 weeks on I still have a little bit of phlegm mostly in the morning but nothing on the scale of before.

Best wishes for your recovery 😊

Margaret x

• Posted

Thanks Margaret that's good to hear. Usually the first thing I do when I get up is just cough but that hasn't been the case since my op. I guess I just need to give myself more time. It's mainly after food I am having to clear my throat.

Glad your recovery is going well

Lx

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I'm guessing that as you had 360 wrap your food is taking longer to get past op site and that's what's making you cough, it won't be acid that's for sure with 360.

I'm managing small slices of bread with cheese and toast, it does make me feel full up yes but after 16 weeks I want to be as normal as my body will allow, I'm finding seeded bread is good as it makes you chew it up more before swallowing it, I was probably about 6 weeks after op when I tried bread.

• Posted

Hi Margaret

Yes I did so I guess I just need to be patient!

I have lost 10lb in weight since Friday and no doubt there will be more loss too.

I am sick of seeing my family eat nice food while I am still on liquids haha they are so boring. I was never a bread lover but for some reason now I can't wait until I can eat it.

I am just so impatient and so use to be able to do things for myself but I guess I just need to sit back and relax for a few weeks.

I have an office job so hoping to be back at work in three week but will see how I go

Lx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.