Post op pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

i went out for a walk yesterday a week post op now i am in lot of pain in the leg have o over done it feel like crying debbie x

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

First of all, I'm so sorry for your pain. This is a difficult operation with a slightly difficult recovery period. One week post op you should only be walking the length of going to the bathroom. I over did it too but I suggest, ofc, the pain killers and keep it warm. I really wish you the best!

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Sorry to hear you are in pain. I am nearly 5 weeks post THR. How far did you walk after a week? Did you go outside? Everyone is different but I didn't walk outside up and down my road until nearly three weeks and then on two crutches on advice of my physiotherapist. I am now using no crutches around house and one outside but probably ditch that soon. I walked my longest distance yesterday and must say my leg is complaining today and aching a bit. I hope you continue to recover well. It does take time, rest but also keep doing your exercises regularly.

Best wishes,

Sarah

• Posted

thanks for your advice hun i gonna rest today and take small steps from now on sorry to hear you have had so many ops at such a young age i am 56 and thought i was young to have it xx

• Posted

Take your time to do your walking. Your body needs to heal from the surgery. Keep ahead of the pain, too. After I stopped with the prescribed pain meds, I took a Tylenol (500 mg) prior to going out for a walk. Better for me than having the discomfort after.

Wishing you the best!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

You poor thing, have a cry but take painkillers and rest the leg. I remember that feeling of walking too far and then the pain.

I had first hip done 2 years ago and heading for the second one in just over 3 weeks ( i am 51) but at least i know now to listen to my body

Don't try to do to much and lots of little naps during the day.

Be well and happy christmas to all hippies out there

• Posted

The pain really is horrible if I miss painkillers. On the advice of the hospital I'm taking paracetemal every 4 hours and codeine if I'm still having any problem. I'm 11 days post op now and I'm still resting on the bed for at least an hour during the day. I have been able to go for short walks outside and manage light household tasks. Feel a little stronger every day.

• Posted

Rest Ice and Elevate leg. It will settle but probably overdone it. Little walks building up to longer walks with walking aids, painkillers is way to go.

Wishing you pain free soon

• Posted

hi just in bed wide awake the pain is so bad yet been pain free all day and eve but soon as i get in bed anyone had this week post op

• Posted

Some exercise is needed every day, but overdoing is as bad as no exercise, as you have sadly found out.

Remember the tortoise .................

• Posted

Debbie,

It's tough to hold back when you feel you should be able to do more. You've got to do it, though. Everyone's different. Set small, achievable goals every day for your exercise. Exercise does help the recovery, so you have to do it, but listen to your body. It WILL get better!

Best wishes in your recovery!

Kevin

• Posted

I feel you. very early days for you though. i didnt go far first week and built up pretty slowly. now 7 weeks i can do couple of miles but grt very tired and sore. nothing like what i could do post op. i am bring pragmatic though and looking forward to more mobility.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.