Post Op Pain - did anyone else experience this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there,  i had my surgery last Friday so I'm now Day 5 post op. I had hardly any pain on day 1 then on days 2 and 3,  I had really intense pain under right breast going through to the side (presumably where the gallbladder used to be) It eased off a bit yesterday so i expected that today the pain would be just that little bit less.... however it's gone even worse today.  (I don't have fever, sickness or anything like that).  i just wanted to ask whether other people got this intense pain (ie. is that what we're to expect after this op)?.  If so. how long did it take to get better and did anyone else experience it getting suddenly worse.  I'm really starting to panic that this pain is not right and I'm going to end up in a worse situation than I was before.  I'd be interested to hear what your pain was like post-op as the info they give you on the 'discharge sheet' is so vague, ie. it just says 'it's normal to experience some abdominal pain'.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can I ask carol what symptoms were you having before your op ?
    • Posted

i was getting bouts of severe pain in the same area which were coming about every 9 days prior to the op.  No sickness, etc.
  • Posted

Hi did you have keyhole? As it could be trapped wind, I had terrible pain after keyhole, drank warm peppermint cordial and had peppermint tea. I was back to work after 2 weeks, and feel great now. One of the lucky ones after reading stories on here! Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

I did have keyhole but this is not really what i would expect 'trapped wind' pain to feel like.  I have already been drinking the peppermint tea and cordial.  When you said that you had terrible pain from trapped wind was it in the same area as I've got it?  This just feels like far too bad a pain to be trapped wind.  Many thanks for your reply and I'm glad to hear that you're feeling great after this op. 

• Posted

Yes exact same place, also in my tummy, they do blow the whole of you tummy up, the nurses told me that trapped wind can be upwards and below, the pain was horrendous at times for me, does it ease when you walk around a little? To be fair, apart from the healing pain, I only had trapped wind, so I don't know of any other pains!

• Posted

Thanks for replying sharon.  I suppose the pain does ease a bit when i walk around.  It's interesting to hear you describe the pain as 'horrendous' at times because i really thought that this pain was just tooo horrendous to be 'gas pain'.  It also didn't start until day 3 and i always expected that if you had 'gas pain' you would get it straight after the op, which i didn't.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi

I hadn't op 2wks ago and my pain after was much less painful than I expected although I did have one evening where I had a really intense pain. I've had varying pain with some pain free days then niggling pains in various places - I think it's just different parts of my body healing at different rates. Hope you're feeling better soon

• Posted

Thanks dona, it is kind of a strange comfort just to hear someone else say that they experienced 'intense pain' which, presumably, then went away.I'm so worried at the moment that somethings wrong and this pain isn't going to go away.

• Posted

Yeah mine lasted a couple of hours - I've had pretty much pain free days and also nighly days and pains in different areas was on different days which I assume is just different parts of the abdomen which have been messed about healing at different rates. Over the weekend one of my wounds started reopening and now has a minor infection but didn't stop me sunbathing today ( came away for a cheeky week in the sun to recuperate). I flew out on hol 11 days after surgery so reckon I'm healing pretty well. I'm also eating totally normal diet and consuming alcohol all with no probs so far. Hope you're recovery goes well

• Posted

I am a day ahead of you, and had intense, horrible pain also where the gallbladder used to be.  It is the gas they pump you with so they can see better.  I took pain meds until yesterday as they add to the usual constipation most everyone experiences, now I am using ibuprofen, colace (stool softener) and miralax as needed until no long constipated.  I found sidelying about 45 degrees with a pillow behing my back and another soft pillow across my belly (and one between my knees) to be the most comfortable.  Obviously I am now up and doing work on my computer!!  I ate mostly broth with crackers, jello, prune juice and my normal LOTS of water to stay hydrated the first few days, so I have gone back to a more traditional diet- just trying to keep the fat no more than 3-4 grams per serving, which had been hard.  I am in the US and seeing all the 4th of July Independence Day commercials for big juicy hamburgers sure didn't help!!!!  During my quest for info I found several people I know who had their gallbladders removed in the past and I didn't even know it!  A few can eat anything they want now- but it is still best to try to limit the fat intake.  It is on all the packaging.  I am making a crock pot roast now, with lots of veggies, but cut off all the fat I could see then when it is finished, I plan to put it in the fridge to let all the fat come to the top so I can use a paper towel and take most of it off.  Mo son in law is a surgeon in another state and he started getting discharge papers printed with specific instructions on drink water, colace 2-3 times a day, and miralax once in the morning and once in the evening.  Just remember we all heal differently and to get a good outcome take it easy, limit fat intake for as long as you can and try not to stress..... makes it worse!  (I am very Type A, so very hard for me).  Good Luck!  Jan

• Posted

Glad you are recovering well. My op was two weeks ago today and I've been eating normally since day of op, not limiting fat and even had a few pints - all with no problems so fingers crossed I'm all good, I'm pretty much off all painkillers and have been for about a week other than when I get niggles.

• Posted

GREAT TO KNOW!  Thanks for sharing-  I wil intro foods slowly and hope I can have that big juicy burger again some day!!!  (And occasional ice cream and chocolate as well!  :-)  I am going to try to amend some of my eating habits, but stopping with the foods we love altogether would be, to me, a tragedy!   Jan
    • Posted

I've had burgers, ice cream and chocolate - all fine. A little bit of what you fancy does you good :-)

• Posted

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply jan. I really hope it is the pain from the gas - and if so i just hope it stops soon.  I'd heard about people getting awful pain in the shoulder from the gas (which i never had) but didn't hear of anyone getting that pain in the 'gallbladder' area. In regard to diet I'm already doing the same as you, ie. no fat or less than 3%.. and drinking plenty.  In regard to constipation... I've got the opposite problem so hoping that will eventually stop!! I'm very glad to hear that you're doing well and hope it won't be too long before you get to enjoy that burger!

• Posted

Be sure to go back for post op visit w surgeon. And I wld call the surgeons office and explain the pain. Some pain appears to be normal for many, but there may be something else going on.

I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow and while I was huge from my face to my toes with the gas they blow into the tummy area, I never passed gas, it took 2 wks for that to be gone tho. I began having horrid diarrhea 3 days after surgery and haven't eaten anything other than dry toast since. Surgeons office ask for stool sample which came back normal. They didn't want me to USA anything to stop the D just let it run its course so nothing wld change stool color. Finally the morning of July 4th I decided enough was enough and took a dose of Pepto and had my first day of no D. Nite of the 5th I has some very soft stools, but D hasn't returned. Tomorrow I see my surgeon. Last nite I ate my first semi meal,a pork chops w brown rice.  Tasted so good!

im thankful I haven't had any of the pain that many seem to have, but being shut up in the house on the toilet was no fun either. 

I pray you get relief from the pain soon.

• Posted

Are you in US? I had my op in uk and we don't have post op appt with surgeons for gallbladder. Luckily I've had no problems so not a concern for me

• Posted

Many thanks for your advice.  I'm going to see if the pain is still as bad tomorrow. I'm surprised that you didn't experience horrible pain from the gas. Like you i started with the awful diarrhea 3 days after surgery and it's still ongoing.  I've read on this forum of other people having it for several weeks before it stops so I'm just praying that it stops soon! I feel like this is all a bit of a nightmare at the moment and i gues I'm really worrying that things won't get better.I'm glad that the dreaded D has no stopped for you and it does sound hopeful that you'll be able to enjoy some other foods. Wishing you a 'good' recovery.

• Posted

Yeah, i was actually amazed to find out that they don't do post-op appointments - i took it for granted that you would get a follow up appointment and it was only when i got home and read the discharge note that i realised you didn't. 

• Posted

Remember that you have had surgery to remove an important organ, your body will adjust over time. Also, the bile will continue to be produced, and without the GB to release it slowly, it must go somewhere all at once. Be patient but wise, it the pain isn't better quite soon, go back to the surgeon. Sometimes the Gall stones form in the tube going into the GB as was the case for a friend, his body was trying to pass it, but his surgeon went back in and removed it as it was quite large. Thankfully my stone was lodged in the neck so it went with the GB. Most have this surgery outpatient, I was in hospital for nearly a week as they were quite concerned about it rupturing. It was enlarged and encompassed by 6cm of inflammation. Be patient but wise. 

• Posted

I I am in the US, I guess it isn't typical to have post op appt for GB as they are usually outpatient, I was in hospital for nearly a week and was quite sick going in, though not from a history of GB attacks, I had only one attack. While the GB is 4cm X 8cm, mine was 10cm X 14 cm. in addition, there was a 15 mm stone lodged in the neck which meant there was a substantial amt of sludge in the GB. I was on morphine and bed rest for days before they would even do the surgery. Maybe that's why I have a post op appt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.