post op swelling to feet and now ankles

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi there my toe friends x i am nine weeks now post op after having double bunion removal and hammer toe correction, stitches and pins all out, and trying to cope with recovery still, my big toes are so stiff still and still quite numb but its this swelling that is still giving me discomfort, i am trying to walk as normal as possible, if i go out shopping i can only walk for a short while so slowly that my sister puts me in a wheelchair because it would take for ever.... after a day out yesterday where i was sitting down quite a lot i had to come home to these feet and ankles being so swollen, i know the hot weather does not help but this swelling of the ankles and toes are daily now even if elevated... but i dont want to be elevated all day again after nine week down the line, is anyone experiencing this xx

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

ps ..... forgot to mention i have not been wearing any shoes as i can not get my feet into any and i can not have any pressing on the scaring its too sensitive has anyone else had this x
    • Posted

How long has it been since your operation? This scares me now. Ive only been 2 weeks. But im scheduled to go back to work at 8 weeks.and i do heavy lifting, and on my feet all day. Dont know how thats gonna happen
    • Posted

hi bev, i had my op on the 11th May so its nine/ten weeks now, i did have the two done together, but i am now where near going back to work, i can not even get shoes on and i certainly can not drive at the moment, i live in central london and have to drive through the blackwall tunnel which is stop start all the time and with the swelling still being bad no way could i even think about it at this stage, i did tell my boss i would be back at the 6/8 stage but no way, just make sure bev your totally confidient with standing and lifting, as all the weight bearing goes to the feet, and you do not want any set backs after coming this far, i so hope you get on ok as i know work is so important to us to get back earning some cash, i wish you well, and we are all here to help you should you need it, take care x
    • Posted

that must be so hard getting around ,my dr. said he didnt recomend having both done, but now i wont get my other foot done for a while,.with short term disability your only allowed 12 weeks out of work in a 12 month period,im not even sure if ill be able to wear a shoe at 12 weeks,it wasnt hard to drive at 2 weeks, but you had both done, so it must be really tough.I hope in days to come it gets easier for you, Thanks for your input
    • Posted

That's crazy if you are expected to be back to work and heavy lifting!??  That's so unrealistic!!   Talk to your doctor!!!!  You are going to hurt yourself and likely do some damage.  Does your doctor know this?  See if you can get a note to either extend recovery or request light duties.    I am back to work in 3 weeks (6 weeks post and had both done) and had note from my doctor indicating that I will be on 'light duties' for about 4 weeks.  
    • Posted

yes, dr. knows, it was my short term disability company that gave me that date.so when i see dr, in 2 weeks i will let him know again that i stand on my feet all day and do heavy lifting, so i can maybe get him to send somthing to  disability co.
  • Posted

My big toes are still numb and if im on my feet for more then a few mins they swell up and even look blue in color
    • Posted

I was just the same. Even now after 5 months by the evening my feet and ankles are a bit puffy and I still can't wear comfortably many of my pre op shoes. Apparently this is normal up to a year. Take heart.
    • Posted

hi rebecca, thanks again for replying, its such a help, what you have just said is whats happening to me, when i get up they are like little sausages, but after a couple of mins the swelling starts and the purple blue colour shows its face.... really starting to get me down because i want to start doing things but finding it painful, ohoooo just to be normal again, i will never take walking for granted and will certainly be enjoying life once this is all over, take care rebecca and remember we are all here still to help each other x
  • Posted

Im about 6 week post op on my right foot and 3 weeks post op on my left foot zi go bk to work first week in augest and still cant get into trainers
  • Posted

Hi Gillee, I am 9 weeks post op on the left foot and 2 weeks on the right (second op more painful, not sure why) only problem is with having them done like this is one needs rest and the other needs mobilising. I attended dressing clinic last week and spoke to the consultant and physio about the first foot. I have a feeling of a stone under foot. They said it was due to off loading and that the foot needs to be in a normal shoe to be able to heel, toe walk. They said I was walking flat footed. My big toe was slightly rigid and has a sensitive numbness. He advised to pull it up and down a hundred times a few times a day. This has loosened it. The physio also massaged the scars really hard, a lot harder than I had done. I am now doing the same with bio oil and it is improving. I ordered some bunion shoes, the alice shoe from mean feet. Because I havent been out properly since the second foot op,I have been wearing them in the house ( my kids are embarrassed by them) but they do feel comfortable. I have read many articles that state the swelling is the last thing to go. I applaud you for have both feet done at the same time, not sure how youve done it, well done and good luck, Denise
    • Posted

PS  Only wearing one mean feet shoe, the other of course is in the surgical shoe. I ordered black so that they wont be discoloured when it comes to the time to wear both shoes. I couldnt get it in a trainer denise
    • Posted

Hi Denise, thank you so much for replying, that has helped me, everything you have said is so what i am feeling right now, the feeling of the stone under the foot too, and the sensitive numbness makes me cringe, to be honest with you i dont think i really took on board how long this healing takes, even on the day of my surgery the surgeon said now are you totally sure you want the two done, denise i was like del boy from only fools and horses, given it the right big confidence thing, yes doc you do the two because i wont be back for second, all laughing and joking... omg when i came out of the theatre the pain was awful as i am sure you know... it was not really an option for me as i also had an hammer toe and if i had not had done walking in later years would of been hard, and i am an outdoor person, and could not bare to be stuck at home... you know denise i have had no physio help no advice on after care at all, infact when i had my pin out last week the surgeon just said yer your ok now infact you can even drive, drive ??? i cant even get a shoe on, so this site has been a god send to me, i too know what you mean about the boot thing, my boys are grown up now but when they come round they call my boots Jimmy Choos !!!.  Also denise i dont know if you have felt the same but all this has made me feel so low, very tearful and almost like i cant be bothered with life at the moment, everything seems so much of an effort... i feel like i have put on weight as not being out much eating seems the next option, infact i am going to post something on that in a mo... eating with no excerside has also been a prob with me... after reading my other replys it looks like the swelling is a long drawn out issue, i am going on holiday on the 11th August, cant even be bothered with that the way i feel, so if i still cant get a shoe on i dont know what i am going to do, is all i keep saying is never again !!! i do wish you well also denise and keep strong and positive we shall have happy feet again i am sure x
    • Posted

Hi Gillee, i suppose we have to see this as a short term loss for hopefully a long term gain. I wouldnt have seen a physio at all, but when I had the dressing appointment for the second foot, I expressed concern about the first, so the consultant referred me to the physio to look at it. Fortunately I saw her on the same day. Have a look at the mean feet website, the sandals can be worn on holiday and they have hidden support for the bunion area and sole support, they are just the job, just not that trendy. I hope not to have to wear them for too long. Next week, I intend to sit in the car whilst its stationery and practice the clutch with the first foot, just to see how it feels.

everything is an effort, I have a busy active job and now stuck at home. I'm trying to eat less, with lots of protein but I have gained weight and I cannot afford to gain it. I do feel down and isolated, but I managed to get a work laptop to keep me up to date with whats happening at work, thats been a huge help. Just try to keep busy around the house and potter round the garden. Im informed its cabin fever. Hopefully we will have forgotten about this experience within a year, take care Denise

• Posted

Enjoy the holiday, even if you just sit and relax, it will be a different environment to your own four walls 
    • Posted

xx cheers denise, so helps talking to someone who understands, take care and heres to walking and laughing again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.