Post op symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

Had surgery two weeks ago and experiencing right side  (near incisions) discomfort penetrating round my back.. Feels like a stitch/ache. Is this part of the healing process.

Also, instead of the dreaded diarrhoea I am constipated, again is this classed as normal? 

thanks for reading

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Im 5 weeks post op and the last two weeks had the same discomfort round my right side and into back/shoulder blade. MY Gp thinks it is just healing and she said that to  take things easy as still early days.. I find moving my right arm out starts it off so im sure shes right. Also I have the constipation but  it is improving a little. Drs given me laxido whihc is helping. Two weeks is very early so take it very easy and give your body time  to heal smile
    • Posted

Hi Jane, thanks for your comforting reply. I guess you're right it's early days, and still healing. Think I must've been doing too much.

With regard to excercise what would you say is acceptable two weeks post op?

Thanks again Jane. 😊 Look after yourself

• Posted

It is difficult for me to say as I have other health problems  with fibroyalgia so exercsing  has been difficutl although it has majorly improved since op so thats good smile I think  if you listen to your body you wont go far wrong. I find when ive done too much the ache increases and I generally feel  fatigued. I well over did things yesterday walking wise and the pain came back and im not feeling so good today so taking it easy but as i say i am a slightly different case due to my health issues. I keep hearing people say that it will be 3 months before you really feel you are totally over it but two weeks is nothing so take it easy.
  • Posted

Hi 

yes and yes.. I am 18 months post op ... No pains or aches for last 6 months or more .. But yes constipation so I eat all bran every morning and I am fine .. I think we produce less bile the good side is no indigestion heartburn or gastritis due to acid ..I can eat curries, spices , fruit etc stomach, like a rock..no problems .. But if I over eat fat I get the dull right side ache which I think is my poor liver working over time ... So don't worry all normal 

• Posted

Thanks Sally, will try some all bran. That being the best option I guess, better than daily laxatives 

Funnily enough, I can eat spicy things ......love my spices

Happy, Painfree Living 🍷, all the best x

• Posted

Are u taking. Codeine or tablets as they can constipated you.

Kiwi is good to get you moving too. I've been taking a digestion support vitamin since the op and I've found this is helping. I'm 4 weeks post op and second day back at

Work and have found vacuuming thick carpet and lifting children troublesome feels like a bruising feel on my right. Just my body getting used to life again I suppose.

The docs told me to take a ibroprufen instead of other painkillers as could be muscle tenderness.

Hope it sorts it self out for you

Sammie

• Posted

Hiya, not taking medications. 

Funny you mentioned vacuuming, this effects me real bad and now hubby does this for me. I find being right handed all of what I do is on the right side, causing this discomfort 

Think  I will try ibroprufen as my discomfort may be muscle tenderness. Seems logical to me. Go back to Surgeon next week, hopefully he will be able to confirm. Still am two half weeks post op, perhaps I'm expecting too much.

Thanks again for advice, you look after yourself and wishing you well 

Take care, Julie 

• Posted

I find this very interesting as I  am having and have had since about week 2/3 the same discomfort in my right side. I find I dont want to move my right arm outwards at all as it starts it off. Doing things like hoovering are impossible and also I find cooking hard to do. I also find when its really sore that even lying or sitting up against anything is uncomfortable.  I am week 5 post op now and I have noticed a little differnce this week and hoping it is settling down now. Im sure it is linked to resting as when i do rest up its much better but a soon as i try to do too much it plays up. So im sure its just healing that will take time with me. Hoping yours soon starts to ease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.