Post operation experiences?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have heard pros and cons about it all and I had my Gallbladder removed 6 weeks ago coming this week. Though I'm feeling much better then before I'm on a very strict diet myself. This is because some foods mainly higher in fat goes right through me. I'm sticking to less the 5grams of fat a meal. It has made me feel better and had two great weeks then one bad again but I think it's what I ate. A few people I talked to had theirs out years ago and are 100% fine.

I'm hoping this is just a stage and eventually I'll be absolutely fine to return to a normal life.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had my GB removed two months back. I'm still not feeling well, I have problems with my colon due to all the constipation before surgery. I haven't gain any weight and I'm having anxiety attacks , insomnia and discomfort around surgery area. I've been to urgent care a couple of times, they say I'm ok . I really don't feel well and each day I'm feeling more depressed ??. My primary doc won't see now, she has no openings for an appt til Aug 8 ??

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about what your going through I'm having my surgery on July 26. Hopefully you feel better and keep us posted as I will do the same. My prayers are with you

• Posted

I'm having surgery on July 26 I'm a little scared but I'm so ready to stop feeling these attacks. I wish you the best and hopefully we are lucky and don't ever have to feel that pain again. Please keep us posted on how you feel after I will do the same.

• Posted

Let me know how you go. I was yuck the first day after then was amazing for 3 days then food started to run through me but all easing slowly. You will be fine.
  • Posted

Hi. I had mine removed 6 years ago and I can assure you it will get better over time. The first few months were the worst as you're getting used to constantly flowing bile. Toilet habits will change but will settle down. At one point I had a few accidents when the diarorrea was at its worst, not pleasant, now I'm very careful if I have to break wind.

I can eat what I want and don't worry about the fat content. Remember that eating fat triggers the gallbladder into working, but when you don't have one eating fat won't have that effect, so in my case it doesn't bother me what I eat.

The only thing I went off was Red Wine. My dad can't eat spicy foods (he also had removed) but I can eat anything.

My advice, don't worry about what you eat. You will get used to discovering if certain foods make you worse and everyone is different in that case. You don't have pain anymore, that's the biggest plus, and your body will sort itself out in time without its gallbladder. Be patient and don't worry you'll be fine.

• Posted

Sounds like you're doing the right thing about watching your fat intake. My older daughter's GI doc told her that she needs to stay away from oils of every kind. Her pancreas has been taxed from all the high fat and greasy foods she consumes since her GB removal in 2013. The painful ttacks she has experienced and running into the ER many times was out right scary. But now it's been 2 weeks since her endoscopy and being out on a non fat diet PLUS  the doctor out her on a med/emzyme called "CREON." She is doing much better now. I think as long as you continue to watch what you eat you'll be good as new or at ;east close to it. God Bless!!

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 12 weeks ago. I've had severe case of diarrhea for around 6 weeks after the surgery. I still have the dreaded symptom, but the severity has decreased since then, and each week I notice a slight improvement. I too am hopeful that eventually I'll be free of this debilitating condition.

Foods I found to have adverse effect on my system are coffee, milk, leafy green vegetables, barley, and flax seed. There are more, but these are the worst offenders to my system.

Foods I found most helpful in reducing diarrhea are grilled chicken and pasta (the ones with iron supplement in its nutritional content).

I have been avoiding all fatty, greasy, oily foods since the surgery, so I don't yet know how ground beef, hamburger, sausage, or steak will react in my system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.