Post opt

Posted , 7 users are following.

i can't bend knee very well after 5 weeks, and won't lay flat. I'm so worried about this, any information from anyone for my concerns? 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you in UK and care you having some physiotherapy input? What Have you been told to expect by professionals?
    • Posted

I'm doing p.t. 2 times a week,   Have total 15 scheduled Little over halfway done I just wished I could bend it more and stretch it more I think I'm like just 90° I can deal with the pain and swelling I just want to be where I should be

• Posted

No I'm not in the UK I'm in the US I started five weeks postop yesterday

• Posted

Where should you be? Swelling reduces range of motion a lot ...it takes some people longer than others. Keep doing exercises, and for the majority of people it will come. I think I was around 90 at five weeks. I am now 13 weeks post op and 130, with 0 extension. But most of the improvement came at ten weeks onwards, when swelling much less. Don't panic...early days!

• Posted

I'm almost 6 weeksrange of motion is still not good enough I don't think I only have 95%

• Posted

Try not to worry, just keep at gently stretching and bending, and reduce swelling as much as you can.
  • Posted

Hi Lucy

Do you have a lot of swelling?  Some people have lots of swelling and others have hardly any.  This can affect how far your knee will bend and the harder you try, the worse it gets.

• Posted

Lucy keep up the excersises and the hard work will pay off .Meds and ice it will all come good . its a long journey.  I am 11 weeks 120 bend and nearly flat stretch. walking is good with out stick or crutches.you will get there. Pain meds at night but thats for my other knee. This site has given me lots of advice so just ask and someone will have the answer.

• Posted

I'm having a pretty hard time with the straight out stretch, getting concerned. It's not like I'm not trying someone a try harder I don't want to end up with a limp when I had a limp before the surgery

• Posted

I had a limp too! Did you have a flexion deformity? Mine was -10. I felt anxious too, but as said, it is a long process. It also can be very painful at back of knee...leg is not used to it! Take a look at my profile info, and maybe my blog, if you are interested. Write a lot there! Much later on...around 9 weeks, I started adding 4kg weight on top of thigh when doing the"knee hang" exercises but consult with your physio. I would say , be patient, and just continue gentle stretches...it will come. Rushing is counter productive, and will just aggravate knee. It has been through a lot, never forget that. Chopped!

• Posted

Hi Lucy, I am also 5 weeks post op and still have a lot of swelling. I have great days where I do really well with exercises and then bad days where it gets very painful. My bend is about 90. But I feel that improving if only by a small fraction every day. I find the extension stretches far more painful and make the knee swell even more. It is a slow process but I believe we will get there eventually. Keep up the good work!
  • Posted

Early.  I started PT at 3-4 weeks -14 / +84.  Took 10 more weeks to get to -1 / +123.  At 15 months, I'm 0 / +133.  You've just started...this takes time...and work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.