Post opt

Posted , 7 users are following.

i can't bend knee very well after 5 weeks, and won't lay flat. I'm so worried about this, any information from anyone for my concerns? 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 5 weeks post op. Got 115 degrees on the bend. Continue to ice it frequently and take Advil or Tylenol or aleve to decrease swelling. Must do stretching exercises three times day. The stationary bike helps a lot. The pt has to stretch the knee and also straighten the knee even if it hurts! No pain, no gain!
  • Posted

I am at 5 weeks post op. PT and exercises at home are helping but I still cannot get my leg straight- bending is a little easier. I attribute a great deal of this to swelling and stiffness. This can make walking very tiresome in a short amount of time. A few days ago I started swimming and I couldn't believe how much better I felt. I am able to walk without a cane and only use it when I'm out and about for stability. I am so anxious for this stiffness to subside but this forum has helped me realize that persistence, patience, and time will probably resolve my issues.

• Posted

Five weeks..."Kneebie"...  

"You've only just begun." - The Carpenters, 1976

Took me 10 weeks of PT to go from -14 / +84 to -1 / +123.  Straight is not just a number...it's a state of mind.  See it...do it.  This takes time, patience and strength.  It's a painful; journey but you WILL get there.  If you hurry, the knee will swell and set you back.

"Don't do dat." - Arnold Schwarzwenneger, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

The stiffness will lessen but could take 12-18 moths to be barely noticeable.  Again...patience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.