Post-Surgery Droopy Eyelids

Posted , 2 users are following.

First, I'm a 69 year old male who, last month, had Laser Cataract Surgery, with customized Astigmatism Lens inserted in each eye.

Before the first surgery, I was not told by my surgeon about any risks concerning the surgery, especially the use of the eyelid speculum instrument, that keeps the eyelid open, or that two of the prescription eyedrops could affect the eyelid and there could be a "burning" sensation after using Durezol or Prolensa eyedrops. My surgeon stopped the use of the Durezol on the left eye less than a week after surgery, but continued with the Prolensa. As of now, Nov 21, I'm completely done with using prescription eyedrops, but still use Systane Ultra eyedrops.

When I was 6, I was bit by a dog just below the corner (across from the ear) of my left eye. I've always had a very slight "droop" in that corner of the eye, due to the bit. Now, that eyelid is "drooping" more and I was told it was due to the eyelid speculum. The right eye "droops" as well, but not nearly as much as the left does. The main muscle in the eyelid has been weakened due to this instrument. This is really not impacting my vision, which now is 20/20 in left eye and almost the same in the right eye.

So, has anyone here had this problem and what did you do about it? I read that it could take 4 to 6 months to re-strengthen the muscle in the eyelid. What about "strengthening" exercises for the eyelid or a eyelid serum for tightening the eyelid?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

sorry to hear about your resulting droopy eye following cataract surgery. I have not experienced this myself but after a quick google on this subject did find a few posts from eyeworld and healthline outlining the condition and treatments both surgical and non surgical for it. If you are unable to find the articles I would be happy to message them to you (as links general don't work on these forums.

On the eye world site it mentions this usually takes care of itself in a matter of months but given you've had that incident of a dog bite that weakened the muscle more might have to be done. I would try all the non surgical treatments first to see if this just doesn't correct itself with a bit of time.

Hoping for a full recovery for you. On the positive side sounds like your cataract surgery was successful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.