Post surgery issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed Saturday afternoon lapriscopically and have lately noticed a pain in the center of my chest that comes and goes a few times a day. Heart is fine... all my labs and heart checks confirm that.

Very little soreness around incisssions and GB area.

The chest pain is about dead center near the breastbone. Not debillitating but bothersome and makes me worry. I see others have complained about such pain here, so that helps a bit with the anxiety.

One other issue. At the hospital ER (Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN), before they examined me, I went to use the restroom and had blood in my urine. Never have had that before. It happened a few other times before surgery. The docs didn't seem too concerned and had no idea why. 

Yesterday, the blood returned and has been there a couple of times since. Other times, its clear.

Since the discharge from the hospital, we have been driving a lot. We are now in North Dakota headed to Glacier National Park for a week. And we had been driving a lot the day I veered off the road to go to the nearest hopsital last week for abdominal pain. That hospital just happened to be Mayo... where an ultrasound forund a 5 mm stone clogging the neck of the GB.

ANyway, everything else is ok. They did NOT stress a fat free diest when I lwas discharged. And I had some fatty food yesterday and the night before. Perhaps that played a role in the chest pain?

Will try a bland diet today.

So... anyone else have blood in the urine and chest pain? We're continuing with the rosdtrip befre heading back to our Michigan home so I have lots of drivng over the next few weeks. Will try to take it easy at Glacier.

Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Mike!

I hope you enjoy Glacier, it's so very beautiful.  If the blood in your urine keeps up, I suggest you go to a clinic and see if you have a bladder infection.  Not everyone exhibits the classic symptoms, pain on urination being one of them. It is important to catch an infection while it's still in the bladder, you don't want it to move up into your kidneys. If you do have one, and take antibiotics, start taking a probiotic to replenish the bacteria in your gut and urinary tract.  

The pain in your chest could be because you have a hital hernia.  Is it more pressure than pain?  That can be found out by ultrasound.  Usually, they don't operate any more to correct small or medium sized ones unless they're giving you problems swallowing, etc.

Do take it easy.  Having your gallbladder removed is still major surgery.

Best of luck to you!  Please let me know how things turn out.  

• Posted

I was originally diagnosed with kidney stones because there was blood in my urine. However you should not ignore this and should see a doctor. It may be nothing more than a urine infection.

The pain you are getting could be down to a stone that got missed and has migrated elsewhere in the digestive system. There is a system of ducts connecting the gallbladder to the liver and pancreas and other organs. It's possible for a stone to migrate anywhere in the digestive system. Maybe get a second opinion? Better safe than sorry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.