Post surgery pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my gallbladder removed yesterday 7/24 in the morning. Swelling and pain is intense today and it hurts to breathe. I was told about 4 days of bad pain but I can not even stand right now. Does it get worse before it gets better.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Days 1-4 are the worst I’ve heard. You just had major surgery. There are going to be gas pains that are stuck in your body. You have to walk them out. Here is some advice from several of my gallbladder removal buddies : Keep drinking fluids, walk as much as you can, sleep as much as you can, use a pillow to help press against the pain. Drink peppermint or papaya tea or ginger ale. Try sitting on the toilet and learning slightly against your stomach if the gas doesn’t move or you can’t walk.
    • Posted

Day 2 was rough. Day 3 today actually seems a little better so far. Tried the toilet thing and finally gas is moving. I have not really eaten in 3 days so I will try something light today.
  • Posted

Gas pains. Mine were in my chest, hurt to breathe they said it was air. If I remember right sitting up right as much as possible helped. And walking as much as you can. I slept in a recliner so I stayed upright.
    • Posted

Thank you. I am sleeping in a soft oversized chair stuffed with body pillows and as foot rest. I walk at least every half hour and it seems to be getting better today, 7/26. Hopefully after a shower today I will feel better...
  • Posted

Hi imm4 weeks post

Op.  I have to be honest it’s inky been the last week that I consider myself to be pain free.   I’ve only just stayed laying on my right side now.  I was fortunate as I didn’t suffer with gas , although I had swelling and bloating.  My pain was mostly from the op. 

It  get easier but I have to admit I wasn’t expecting to be the way I was!  Just keep to regular small meals, fluids and try to get to get up and move every hour or so when you can.  Rest when you need because the tiredness can hit you like a brick and emotions can run high.  

Give yourself time it’s eay days for you.  You will feel bit better daily.  Keep up with paracetamol and ibrufren  regularly for first few days!

• Posted

Thanks. The tiredness has been hitting me pretty hard. The bloating and swelling are starting to go down a little but I have been bloated for months. Dr gave me hydroCodone for the pain but I think I will add OTC p as in killer.
    • Posted

Hi Heather, its helped me reading your message on the post op symptoms and generally how it is. I struggled a lot from the op and getting back to normal, although the operation ended up with complications that is what the doctors told me. The Gallstones i had were pretty big.  its now 16 days for me and im still getting pains and bloated when i eat. I stick to a healthy diet and have not felt like big meals its too much for me. 

I was never a big eater, just eat the wrong things like cheese was my guilty pleasure. i now stay on a low fat diet, and found that is helping no end as well as weight lost of over 3 and half stone.

Its been a massive learning curve and i intend to keep healthy from now on and doing my best to recover and looking at getting some Digestive enzymes to help me with my meals. I have to be careful with anything containg cream this caused me a lot of pain i did not realize it was in a take out coffee i got.  spent most of Tuesday in bed made me really ill.

any tips greatly appreciated i did ask at the hospital about diet and what to eat post op even the dietician but got told to look on Google which i have been doing. I wad totally shocked when after surgery the doctors told me to eat anything i wanted.  Needless to say ive been really careful and my stomach has been fine and all my bowel movements. sorry to be graphic there. its good to talk to others who have been through this and no where you are coming through. many thanks Joanne

• Posted

Hi I’m just coming up to 6 weeks now.  I’m pretty much back to normal.  I had also complications but have to say I’m feeling alright now.  Tiredness is still an issue.  The hospital also told me to eat normally and have started to do so but taking note of different foods I’m adding each day and seeing if I’m ok afterwards.  I was told to expect to lose weight initially but to watch out afterwards as it can pile back on.  I’m

Like you sticking to low fat as best I can.  

• Posted

Hi Heather, thank you for your message. It’s good to know things are pretty much back to normal for you. 😀that’s great news. I’m finding that I have to be very careful what I eat! I had a chilled coffee not aware it had cream in it ended up in bed with cramping pain. I’m sticking to low fat for life now. I’ve been on a low fat food plan for a year this August. 

I found my stomach has shrunk and I get full quite quickly. I’m determined to stay healthy not wanting anything that can cause me stomach problems. I will have the occasional treat but making sure I’m trying to help myself with some digestive enzymes to help my body adjust and Liver. B vitamin for some energy and little and often meals seem the best for me.  😉 good luck with your recovery hopefully we will both be fighting fit soon  Joanne 

• Posted

Hi Bob ... the first few days will be painful - you've had major surgery and also I think any operation takes it toll on your well-being for a while (that's what I found anyway).   I still sometimes, 3 years on, get that stitch like pain when I breathe though not as it was when I first had the op.

Give it time.  Drink plenty of water and, especially in these first weeks, go easy on your diet where fat is concerned.

With very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank you. Glad to hear about the breathing. I thought it might be a problem but the pain is lessoning.
  • Posted

Hopefully it does.  Still looking forward for my removal as fed up (scunnered) with the daily dizziness and nausea.  Be a change to get a bit of pain instead of thissad
    • Posted

So far I do not regret the surgery. The pain I experienced daily is not there so far and the diarrhea has stopped but I have not really eaten. Good luck on your removal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.