Post-surgery update - completely unexpected results!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello Ladies... just got home a little while ago after a 10-hour day at the hospital.  For anyone new to my situation, I was supposed to have an ovary removed that appeared to contain some type of mass, in addition to having a couple of small uterine polyps removed.  My doctor ordered lab work on hormone levels and cancer markers that was all normal.  She said that the mass was contained within the ovary and appeared to be solid.  So this is everything we knew going into surgery.

Well, I had the surgery today, and guess what... there was nothing in the ovary!!!!!!!!!  I was awake in the recovery room, and extremely dizzy, when my doctor came in with a big smile to tell me.  She explained that I have a benign "floating" fibroid outside of my uterus that has been positioned in such a way that it has been pressing on the ovary.  The ovary itself was a yellowish color, not the whitish color that it should be, but she said it was not the color that it would be if cancer was present. However, to be sure, she removed it and a frozen section was done on it that confirmed no cancer.

She also removed the two uterine polyps, in addition to a cervical polyp that also turned up, and these are all expected to be benign.  The other ovary has a functional cyst present that she said will be gone in a few weeks.  She also did a D & C as expected.  The pathology results will be back on Monday or Tuesday.

I am still in total shock about the ovary.  Since I was so dizzy when she told me, I couldn't process what the doctor told me at all.  After they put me back in my day surgery room with my mom (I was allowed one person with me there), she explained it all to me.  They gave me a pain pill and I slept for about 2 hours and then a nurse with really cold hands came in to wake me up.  I had some juice and crackers, and a couple of cups of water, and after a while they made sure that I could urinate and sent me home.  I'm staying with my family while I recover and they are a huge help.

So that is everything for now!  I learned a lot today.  It has been crazy and the outpatient day surgery unit was very noisy, so I am grateful to be home.  I will have a follow-up appointment with the doctor on May 4, assuming that no emergencies or complications arise.

Time to rest more now, feeling sore and a bit yucky.  Thanks again for all your support!

Elizabeth 💕

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh Elizabeth I am so happy for you that it was a false alarm. Get some rest! I have had an ovary removed years ago because there was a torsion to it and it hemorrhaged. So I am somewhat familiar with what you had to endure. They thought mine was cancer too until they did the laparoscopy. So I know the feeling of relief and elation to know that everything is okay.
    • Posted

Thanks Sharcerv!  It is a huge relief as you said.  I'm still letting it all sink in today and just really glad to be done with the surgery!  😊
  • Posted

So glad to hear your great news....well done and feel better soon xxx
  • Posted

That's really good news Elizabeth. So pleased it all went well. God bless.
  • Posted

Glad you came through it all very well Elizabeth. Also, best of all - they found NO cancer. That's always a big worry when you go in for such an evasive surgery like that.

Well hope you get some rest, and will be feeling much better soon.

Take care!

• Posted

Thanks, Didi, definitely resting as much as possible.
  • Posted

Thats brilliant!

My mum had what was thought to be ovarian cancer some years ago, and had surgery, the mass was totally benign.

Before she had surgery I remember her consultant speaking to me and my sister on our own, and explaining that my mum would have to have chemotherapy after the surgery, and the horrible side effects and that we would need to be supportive, and there was also an oncology nurse present. They seemed pretty sure it wasnt benign, and then it was!  So yes there can be really positive outcomes.  Hope you recover from surgery soon.

• Posted

Oh goodness, Ursula, you and your sister must have been devastated, and then so completely relieved!  What an experience to go through.  Thanks for posting, so far I am getting lots of rest and the pain medication has become gradually more helpful!  
    • Posted

Thank you so much for posting what you just did. I am due to have an ovary removed next Friday for a possible malignant cyst. Ive cried, been so scared and my anxiety is thru the roof. This made me feel better and I keep hoping for a positive outcome.
    • Posted

I am really hopeful you will be OK.  I will be thinking of you and pray that you have a good result.  My mum was totally fine with no complications and no return of any problems at all after the surgery.
    • Posted

Yes it was awful at the time. It felt almost unreal as the consultant was talking to us.  I dont think they had actually told our mum what they thought it was at the time, so she never knew they thought it was dangerous. Our dad had died the year before, so my goodness, we were so, so relieved and happy that she was fine!
    • Posted

Sometimes, those people don't communicate well, that's for sure!  The urologist who ordered my CT scan was like that when we got the report showing the"enlarged ovary".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.