Post TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am waiting for a TKR and have learned a lot from these forums.  All you post 'post oppers' can advise me how does one go about 'icing' ?  What do you use? Also I occasionally use my tens machine to relieve the pain in my shoulders but I did wonder if it was  unsafe to use near metal.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You can use ice cubes in a bag from a suoermarket, make your own, use a bag of frozen peas or a cold drink can! But the first is best. In hospital they threw lots of ice cubes into a pillowcase. Hold it firmly but not aggressively on the swollen parts and on the painful areas. No longer than 15 minutes really - do not put ice directly on skin make sure it is in a bag or a cloth. I made some small bags using food freezer bags too. You can also use cold patches from chemist or instant ice packs if going out. I was advised not to use freeze spray or anything like that with chemicals in. It really was a important to do after exercise and at night when swelling goes up. I still do it once a day at 20 weeks. i stopped too soon and when I bothered to do it again it was worth it. Get into a routine and do it in a proactive rather than reactive way every few hours at first.
  • Posted

Hi Margaret.  I bought some gel ice packs from ebay beforehand - I bought four large rectangle ones. And 2 bags of cheap peas decanted into slightly larger freezer bags so they spread about a little.  I use either the peas in a pillowcase or 2 of the gel packs side by side wrapped in a tea towel.  At first I would do probably 10 minutes every hour or so, now at almost 4 weeks I do about 10 to 15 mins every 3 hours but definitely 3 or 4 minutes before exercise and 10 mins after.  

With having the different ones, there is always something frozen enough - at first the peas were most comfortable as the gel packs felt hard and heavy.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks folks - I knew some of you would help me out. Bless you. 
  • Posted

lol its quite easy I bought medical ice packs from amazon or the chemist and it just means applying the ice packs as often as you can to relieve the swelling and pain but be aware that ice can burn so I put a muslin cloth over my knee before applying my ice pack. There a god send the relief from them is phenomenal! !!!!!!
  • Posted

forgot to say margaret the packs I use are GEL so they are soft and pliable and you dont need to freeze them I just keep mine in the fridge!!!!!
  • Posted

The tens unit is fine. I use one a lot after the wound heals. Icing is done so many ways. Some by the item called a cyrocuff others j just use ice in a plastic bag. I bought one of the blue quick freeze bags that stay soft and are pliable so they can be m o lded around the leg. Whatever method, the ice bag should never come in contact with the skin. It should have a cloth of some sort between the plastic and leg otherwise you can get a nasty burn.
  • Posted

I was given an ice bag from the hospital, still use it.  Don't forget to put a towel under the ice pack, not the ice pack straight onto your skin as it can give you an ice burn.
  • Posted

Not having been prepared when I first got home I used a bag of frozen peas, but once I could get someone to the chemist, i bought those soft gel packs which you put in the freezer . . Being soft, it adapts nicely to the shape of the knee, not the hard blocks they provided in the hospital!  Looking back, I probably didn't use them enough . . 

• Posted

Dear Margaret

If anyone can give u advice. Believe me it is me.

If u have read my story u will understand.

First after 3 TKR in past 18 months. Here in all Florida hospitals they send u home with this cooler box and attached is a knee wrap which send cool flow to knee 24 hours first few days.

After for swelling it is not good to place ice on knee directly.

It can cause a freezer burn.

No joking

And not for more then 20 min at time

I shall be having 4th surgery within next 4 weeks

• Posted

Unfortunately, we certainly don't get anything like this cooler box here in Tenerife, and I don't think you do in the UK either. . . We have to resort to the frozen peas!
    • Posted

Is this site ... Out of US

I see many relies from UK

What do those badges mean?

Somehow since my first post I have been rewarded

In 3 days a lot

I guess many people have read my original post

Good luck to all that read on quick recovery

• Posted

I saw one in the hospital when I visited someone but she didnt take it home - prefer the old fashioned way - same effect! 
    • Posted

your very lucky Gail here in Bradford west yorks they send you home with NOTHING!!!! no dressings no physio and 1 nights pain killers!!!!! Hey Ho!!
    • Posted

It is actually a UK site, but there are people from all over the place. . UK, India, USA . .tenerife (me)  I think you will find the badges are awarded for several things. . how many times you connect to the site, how many replies you make to other queries, hw many times you initiate a conversation . . a bit pointless really!  But it's a good site and provides some excellent support when we most need it!
    • Posted

Hi Gaill, yes you are connected to a UK website, but advice is advice and it is great to hear others experiences across the world, we have posts from India, USA, Spain and I am sure further afield.
    • Posted

It's a UK site but many from the US, Australia, New Zealand and several other countries are on here. I'm from the central part of the U S. It's interesting to see the different approachs concerning the surgery from country to country. If you have questions about country or area just ask the individual

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.