Posted , 5 users are following.

Write here for 6-12 week markers

0 likes, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm exactly 6 wks today from a TKR

I'm 34 and had this done due to severe wear and tear to my knee joint. This is my 7th op on the same knee. A lot of old scar tissue and varicose veins not helping. 

Still very swollen, to the point ive just spent the day in hospital having texts for DVT's and all sorts of things. To the conclusion it's just swelling and I need to elevate more often. 

My bend is still at 75 degrees, this is because of the swelling. Straight leg is great, can't do a raise though. Not yet anyhow. It's nearly coming!! 

Pain is controlled to an extent, sleeping is a bit easier. Managing to sleep on my side which is fab!! Still taking quite a few drugs to manage this. 

Walking is funny.... I look like Herr Flick from 'allo'allo haha straight leg with a duck foot. Using one crutch out and about. 

I'm still quite emotional, I expected to be up and going again by now. Still not driving and on the sick from work. I have quite a manual job and have to be fully mobile and fit to do. My exercises are quite good and ive bought my self a foot pedal machine to do while I'm sat to get my rotation going. It's really good. 

I'm hoping that all of a sudden I turn a corner and improve. It's hard work but I'm soooo hoping it turns out to be worth it! 

Without being to out there, 'relations' with my husband is hilarious. It's so hard haha at least we can laugh about it!! 

Hope everyone is well and doing ok ☺️😊

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Wow that's a lit to go through for someone so young. Glad you have retained a sense if humour well done for getting through it. I'm at 7 weeks git a feeling it will fall into place soon
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi all I am 7 weeks from my TKR.                                                                                   I went for my follow up last Friday and to be honest I am so disappointed in my self I saw a gentleman there who had is op on same day as me he was doing absolutely great he told me he only went to PT twice and they said they couldn't do no more for him he said he had been off meds from day 7 now me I am walking unaided by bend is 103 but haveing so much trouble trying to straighten and I am haveing so much pain I am still on meds when I saw my surgeon he said I shoul be pain free now and my leg shouldn't be still getting hot so he sent me for blood test I see him again on Friday I have tried to not take painkillers but then I just can't cope just wonderd if anyone at 7 weeks still take meds ? Xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm 7 weeks to Cath. I take pain killers at night and in the morning . Still on 2crutches so I can walk properly . Went swimming today for the first time. Highly recommend it even if you do some walking in water .i have 105 degree bend but it is forced. I have tried to get out and about to put the knee into different types of challenges like going on the bus, train, walking in grass going to work for a few days.

Sleep is still a challenge at night.

i think PTs and surgeons should have had the op to qualify . LOL!!

Would be interested to know what your blood test says. I think a lot of us nay be a little anaemic 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi .... just joining in the conversation I started hydrotherapy as well as physio at RPA  in Sydney where I had the operation..... getting into the water has been a real breakthrough.... wonderful!   Am 9 weeks on Thursday, have 110 degree bend, am driving since 6 weeks, all going well.

EXCEPT I can't sleep, not for pain in my leg its just my mind won't shut down and sleeping pills don't help..... hoping things get better by 3 months.    

ALSO  we are all individuals, some heal quicker, some tolerate pain better, but we all heal in our own time...... good luck everyone, what a journey we are having!    cheers Carol from Sydney nsw

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am now 8+3 days following total right knee replacement. Not using crutches. A little unsteady at times. Have to be careful and think about what I am doing.

Went back to work two days ago. I am on my legs all day and can't believe how will I have coped. Knee and leg swollen. Will try and take it easy today. Pain fine. Take Ibuprofen when I work other than that just Panadol. My biggest challenge is to loose weight and decide when to retire.

Christine NZ

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you for your reply I would love to go into a pool but I am frightend of water I do do all my exercises and more I ice befor and after my hubby bless him massages my leg every night to try to help it at night I am sorry to here you are still on meds but all so pleased because I was thinking I must be so mardy ho sorry you might not no what that means lol in different country's but I mean I must be like a baby I will let you no what blood test shows xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Have you tried. Aqua fit. You only go waist deep and very good for strengthening legs. I'm not sure if you may have had a bad experience with water. I can understand the fear. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am exactly 11 weeks post op...right TKR.  I used a walker post op, went to a cane by the end of the first week and have not used that but one time, when I knew I had quite a long walk, in over a month.  I drove around the neighborhood at 3 weeks and did well enough to go back to work where I do not have to be on my feet much.  I've been back full time 1st of Dec.  Because of work, I have resisted taking pain pills except for Aleve.  The burning on the inside of the knee is still bothersome at night so I have resorted to a mild sleeping pill which seems to help.  As I am in a showroom and January Gift Market begins on the 14th with 7 days straight working 8 to 6, I'm wondering how THAT will go.  I will keep up the home PT before and after work but won't be able to go to physical therapy.  I am currently at a 115 degree bend with my straightest at -11 (the last few degrees are going VERY slowly).  If I concentrate, even with the slight bend, I can walk without a limp. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes when I was young I fell in a dam when out with my brothers so I keep away from water I even had to take my bath out and install a shower I no everyone tells you this op is very painful but you can never prepare your self for this much I shoul have the left one done in the spring but I re don't thin I ca go through this again xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh that must have been so frightening . You're on the other side of the op now. Now things will slowly start getting better. It might be worth writing down how yo feel now and what you can and can't do. Put in an envelope and leave it in a drawer for  2 or 3 months then look at it again to see how much you have progressed. You forget how far you've come
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up