Post TKR, Post MUA!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Six days after MUA and 14 weeks after TKR and I feel due to the MUA I've gone back quite a bit. I was recovering well and strengthening my knee and was able to walk quite a distance and have been back driving for 8 weeks. My bend was as low as 65% and under the MUA my surgeon got it back to 95% to 100%. However, on discharge my knee has certainly stiffened up again and my range is probably back to about 80%. The exercises are so tough and I have to take as many painkillers as I can to do them but I now have pains in the my new knee that I haven't had since three or four weeks after the TKR! I'm a bit miffed but maybe I should accept that my range will never be much better than what it is now. My surgeon said as much saying that everybody is different - some can't walk as well as I can but can bend their knees normally. Help!

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Still time to improve. Don't overdo it. Little and often. Be rigid with ice. Massage several times a day with oil. As all muscles get stronger the bend will improve. Try and get in water and do pt in there. Will swell and be stiff but will eventually pay off. Don't give up stay focused and think six months down the line is the time to start worrying not six weeks. Literally expecting too much from your body and brain. Small steps. At 7 months only yesterday did I finally think wow the knee is almost natural and part of me rather than a separate entity from the rest of my body. A diary of your progress might help - good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Don't give up hope. I am 25 weeks post op and I am still working through problems after my tkr. My bend at six weeks was 45°, I contacted the hospital and saw my surgeon two weeks later. In the meantime I did my own research on how to make improvements, my life saver was buying a children's skateboard, about £4 online, I used it several times a day to help improve my range of movement; by the time I got my hospital appointment I had improve to 61°. I started having physio around week 12, now at week 25 my bend is 104°. My extension at 12 weeks was 30° currently it is sitting at 10° but I am working on improving this through exercise. I was convinced that I would need an MUA but with exercise and determination I have managed to avoid this. I have just started walking outdoors without a walking stick, it is hard, but I now feel that I am getting back to some normality.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Everyone is different we can only give the story of what has happened to ourselves,  mine was totally fine after manipulation , twice, on first knee, I have had second knee Tkr early May and it is a long hard slog,  we all get there but it takes time I wish you speedy recovery, 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

surgeons say what suits them just see how it goes for the next few weeks it will be very hard work there is no point in having a M.U.A. and not giving it your all im afraid taking it easy wont help you need to keep it moving or it will stiffen up maybe get anti inflamatorys to help and a stronger pain med its only for a short time when i had revision 12mths ago the surgeon said to me you will have to work very hard to make sure you get the bend and he was right i had to the reason i had revision i had 70 deg bend and alot of pain i now have 95deg and i probably wont get much more but i can sit without holding on and get up without holding on so im happy enough with that and pain has eased off quiet abit   what id say to you is the M.U,A.did give you more but you have to really give it alot of pushes now to maintain it dont give up and say it wont stay it wont stay if you dont push it sorry for being strong about it but i dont want you to end up with revision without giving this a chance it might take a couple of weeks of utter missery but after that it could keep the bend keep going
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Linda. Your candour is appreciated. The annoying thing is that the pain I have in my new knee now is really bad and bending it is excrutiatingly painful. Before the MUA I had got to the stage where I had virtually no pain in the new knee/leg and could walk for a good distance. Bending was the only issue. Achieving 95% or 100% in hospital is one thing, but I don't have a motion machine at home! I am going to get strong pain medication from my doctor this week and will perserve until I see my surgeon again in about six weeks time then go from there. If it means I can't ride a bike or go down stairs as quickly as I'd like, then I can live with that! Thanks again for your input.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

dode your so unlucky that you have so much pain    i truely feel for you as ive had so much trouble with one of my knees i know how debilitating it can be .because my leg was broken during the bi lateral tkr it caused my not to be able to bend it but unlike you my pain was severe and i had MUA  it worked for a very short time and it went back to very little bend and severe pain so i had no choice but to get revision as i couldnt stand the pain and the limp i had  i do hope yours settles down it must make you mad when you had no pain before the MUA i must say it is unusual not to have pain when the bend is so poor just goes to show we are not all classic tkr we are all so different i really hope it can be sorted for you
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up