Post TKR Swelling - How Long Does it Last?

Posted , 12 users are following.

The swelling is, of course, the major culprit inhibiting ROM. I am just about 6 weeks post op, and like many other posts I have read here, I am wondering how long it takes to get to the point I am glad I had TKR. It just seems that the swelling will never go away. My next visit with my surgeon is 2 weeks, and I am terrified that he will want to drain it. I ice my knee, go to PT 3x a week, do my exercises, and sometimes worry that I am pushing too hard, although they tell me at PT that I can't push too hard.

How have others dealt with the swelling? Are there other things I might try to reduce it?

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is 3 years ago that I had my TKR so I am trying to rember that far back.

The other thing you can do to help with swelling is to elevate the leg.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I've had some of the same issues. I am almost 6 weeks out PO. I do a lot of icing and elevating and waiting. My doctor says my knee looks good and then I'm not that swollen.but the longer I'm up The more swollen it gets so I have to take lots of breaks to elevate and ice. I was told by my PT that the swelling could take a year to totally go away ( bummer). I believe you're doing all you can do.

Stick with the site. It is encouraging and will help you get through the tough times.

• Posted

Thanks Nancy. I am 6 weeks post op today. 2nd day back at work, PT after work today and I am so tired and stressed.

I will definitely stick with this site, the support and information are invaluable!

• Posted

debz13, I am about 11 months post TKR. For the first few months I was wishing I never had it done.  I had quite a bit of swelling and a lot of tightness down the outside of my knee. I told my surgeon I felt that something wasn't right, but he kept telling me not to worry, my knee was fixed and to keep doing the exercises religiously. At 6 weeks it is still very early days for you. I was taking celebrex for inflammation and continued to do so for a few months. It definitely helped. Also, remember that everyone heals at a different rate.

I only started to feel much happier about my surgery at the 6 month mark. Now, after 11 months, I couldn't be happier. There is no swelling at all, no pain and I walk 12,000-15,000 steps every day without a limp. I couldn't walk half that distance before surgery without feeling a lot of pain in my knee. Whilst some people bounce back reasonably quickly after TKR, others take longer. My surgeon said I would continue to see improvements for up to a year. I no longer take any pain killers or anti-inflammatories.

You are only in the very early stages of recovery. Expect to have good days and bad days with some steps forward and some steps backward. But eventually the good days will outnumber the bad days until there are only just good days. Your best days are still ahead of you. It might take some months, but the day will come when you will rejoice that you had it done.

Best wishes for your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you sdporter, your post has encouraged me also since I have lots of swelling and stiffness after six weeks. I was getting a little discouraged yesterday when my knee was more swollen than it has been and not understanding why. I guess it was just one of those bad days this morning it's doing better. Thank you
    • Posted

Thank you! Today, especially, I am in great need of support and encouragement!

It is so great to hear from those who have recently been there!

• Posted

I am also 6 weeks out,, my rom is 122/0 which is good,,but swelling on inner knee is constant,,no sleep for weeks,, one thing that has really helped was I am using a CVS  Pharm,,grey knee brace I used to play softball in,, I think its called a Futuro Infinity. I only use it for 2 hrs at a time or when I go  grocery shopping.. probably should consult with your Orthopedic surgeon before trying it,, it really reduced the swelling.
    • Posted

Sleep is the one problem that's never discussed in advance as far as I know. It seems to be weight shift from tense to relaxed and nerves (the last part of healing process)starting to get their routing back. Try icing, pain meds, a thin pillow between your knees. Its just going to take time and you may be awhile getting there. Its frustrating but for those with the problem, its huge. I found somnipure (herbal with no heavy drugs) a little relief and eventually started getting some relief. I've been through this rehab 5 times and have emphatically been advised absolutely no braces or supports of any kind. Something to do with damaging instead of helping soft tissue. Please get advice from your surgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.