Post TKR tiredness

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello

I had a TKR 3 weeks ago and all going well except continual tiredness. I realise that sleep is broken but just wondered if anyone had any tips. Thank youtwisted

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My advice is (if possible) sleep any chance you get!  You need sleep to heal properly.
    • Posted

Thank you Sky. I do set high expectations of myself no doubt unrealistic time to be the tortoise not the hare I think!rolleyes
    • Posted

I completely agree with Sky. Unless you are sleeping because of depression, take it every chance you get. Because we all know that sleeping at night is horrible and never very fulfilling.
  • Posted

Have a nap any time you feel like it. I used to feel guilty at having an afternoon nap then realised it was doing me good. Now at nearly eleven weeks if I have done a lot I still might have one. 
  • Posted

You will be several weeks overcoming the tiredness as surgery alone will pull you down. You probably aren't eating as usual due to meds and quite possibly are dehydrated as fluid intake suffers post surgery plus pain meds tend to drag you down. You are very early in the process. Be sure and rest every chance you get. A rested body heals much better than a tired one. Don't worry about others thinking you are just using the surgery as an excuse. Listen to your body and give yourself a chance. Docs don't tell you all the dirty little hidden secrets of this process but there are many things you become concerned with that are just the normal part of healing. I'm currently at 5+ weeks since having the prosthesis removed due to staph. I currently have a plastic spacer in place e and my leg in a brace that allows 40° bend and no more than 50% weight distribution. I take antibiotic infusions twice a day (2hrs each time) and have 2+ weeks to go. Even with this, I have to continue strengthening and stretching like a reg tkr. In 6 weeks I go back and get a new knee then start the process over again. This is my 10th surgery on this leg and I've never escaped the fatigue and general worn out feeling. Give it time, you'll feel different and better every few days. Stick with the rehab program as you absolutely will not heal properly without it. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi OFG nice to see you posting again!Haven't seen you for a while. Glad to see that everything is going according to plan, even though the plan is not a very nice one!

• Posted

Glad to see you back on here and great advice given as always
    • Posted

Thanks....been a rough week. My wife overdid it last Monday and made herself physically I'll which also increased the depression so I've had to use what little energy I've got to see that some things got done around here. Dragging a leg behind a walker drags you down fast. We have a program here called "meals on wheels" that seniors can buy at a very low cost. It is a fresh, daily prepared and delivered between 11 and 12 noon so I ordered a couple of weeks of that program. Seems like food preparation was the thing we were having the most difficulty getting accomplished. This way we get one nutritious meal a day plus a partial breakfast for the next morning. Her Parkinson's has really caused her to plummet as she seemed to activate it with unnecessary activity. Our daughter came by to run a couple of errands and she decided she wanted to ride along............then shopping and standing got out of hand and its taken a week for her to start recovering. Hope you are doing well.
    • Posted

Thinking of you and you wife we are here for you anytime xxx
    • Posted

Glad you are getting a good meal a day without the hassle of preparing it.  I can imagine (I think) how difficult it must be with you leg the way it is now. . but the reality is probably even worse than my imagination! Not too long now till you get yur new joint. . .and then start all over again!  Fingers cross your wife improves with rest. . Parkinsons is such a cruel condition . . . 
  • Posted

Hi susie im 5 weeks post op and not sleeping. Last night I had about 2 hours in total and today ive just laid on the sofa all day in agony??? Im at docs tom and gonna mention the lack of sleep as a lot of people seem to have slow release tramadol at night??? I am exhausted through the day which makes me unable to exercise and very teary x
  • Posted

I am 5 weeks post op, still only getting at the most 2 hours of sleep or naps each night. Sometimes like last night I saw every hour.  I have scented my pillow with lavender and this does help relax you.  Good thing my hubby has no sense of smell!!!! but then I made him sleep in the spare bedroom.  I can at least manage to get comfortable on my side, with the aid of a pillow between legs, then wake turn over and adjust pillow again.   Its all a case of not hurrying the healing process.  In fact this week I feel better and would feel great if I could get a decent nights sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.