post turp

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my turp procedure 5 days ago, I had the catheter removed on day 2. I was able to pee on my own, had to urinate every 30 minutes. Called the doctor and he gave me Myrbetriq and a antibotic to take on day 3. No blood in urine after day one. My issue is how long will it take to get better to be able to leave the house? I have  read that some guys take weeks to feel good enough to leave to do things, I am retired so a job is not the issue. I can now last 1 hour before I have to pee, I do not know if that is good or bad. I am looking for some help so that I know what is going on with other guys who have done this turp procedure also. Thanks

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

My doc put no restrictions on leaving the house or driving. Just NO lifting for a month.
  • Posted

Rick  Your doctor did not tell you that all men heal at different rates.  Some men on here have had problems for up to 6 month's. And sometimes it does not work and end up having another turp to fix the problem.   I hope you heal fast just be care full.  Good luck  Ken

• Posted

I had one in June. Bled for 5 weeks. Prostate squeezed back down on me. Had to have more material taken out end of November. Only bled for a couple days. So depends on how much he took out to.
    • Posted

Kenneth, was your flow good after the first week of the procedure?
  • Posted

I think after my Holep (very similar) ever hour or so was probably typical at first. Advice is also avoid ejaculation for 2 months after TURP, can slow recovery. 
    • Posted

thanks for your follow up. I am still trying to consume 4-6 glasses of water daily. i suppose that also increases urination.
  • Posted

I think lasting an hour between going pee would allow you to leave your home should you want to.  I did leave the house when being able to last 45 minutes so long as I knew there was a bathroom where I was going.  Had my turp 08 November.  Did good for a couple of weeks, started passing lots of scabs, clots and way too much blood.  Was back in the hospital on 04 December with the cath for three days.  Since then I've been doing well, not passing any blood I can see and peeing about every hour and a half or so.  I've been getting up twice a night and able to pee like I was 30 again, I'm 70 now.  I'm still drinking lots of water to keep things flowing.  When I was released from the hospital the last time the dock said no special orders just no lifting till I see him on 04 Jan '17 for a followup.  Good luck Rick

• Posted

Rick,

my post TURP problems with urgency sorted up pretty quickly in less than 2 weeks. Myrbetriq will help. Drink plenty of fluids during the day and not much after 6 pm. Do not do any strenuous work. Walking is very helpful.

To skip coffee was very hard and I stopped it for a week but it is recommended. No beer and carbonated beverages.

MK

• Posted

how was your flow the first week after procedure. i can pee for a few seconds and then just dribble, my doctor told me after surgery i should pee like a race horse.
    • Posted

When catheter was removed day after TURP, I was not able to urinate just dribbled and when PVR reached 500 ml catheter was inserted again and I was discharged home with catheter. I had catheter in for 8 days and was taken out at Uros office. I passed voiding trial and after that was having strong stream with just skight burning for a few days. Never had problem after that.

MK

• Posted

It can go two ways Rick. Pee like a race horse, or some trouble at first. The stuff he does causes stretching not to mention that huge Cath. Swelling should start to go down in a couple weeks if it's bad. My first I peed like a race horse. Second time I had swelling. After two weeks it's getting better every day. Doc told me the stretching causes it.

• Posted

Rick, congratulations!  I could leave the house immediately after I was sent home. I was not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds, or do strenous physical activity, like mowing the lawn.  I had blood in my urine for around 5 weeks, if I remember correctly.  What I"m describing is my first turp.  I had two turps about 7 years apart.  The second turp, was to remove what they call the median lobe.  It was obstructing the passage-way.  I am one of those unlucky guy's because I had three surgeries concerning my prostate.  The first one was a green-light laser surgery, the other two were turp's.  I am crossing my fingers, that I won't have to do another surgery, in the future.  I am doing CIC, or if you are not familiar, with the term. it's self-cathing.  It's the best thing I ever did for my prostate and bladder!  I can now empty my bladder completely and it feels great.  Getting back to your question, sounds like you had a successful operation.  No bleeding, for that short a time, is pretty remarkable.  You will improve as time goes on.  It will get better and better, if all goes well.  I remember weeks after the surgery, I would sometimes urinate and a bit of tissue would pass with the urine.  It would look kind of like old blood, mixed with tissue...hard to describe in writing. It surprised me the first time it happened, and it was something that I would be concerned about, for a little while, anyway. Because of my very large prostate, I would have to be on medication, even after the surgery.  The medication, helped my urinate better. Now with CIC, I just stopped my medication 4 days ago.  I hope that my prostate, will not start to grow again.  I think I answered all of your questions, but if you have more, just let me know, and I'll try to answere them, as best I can.

• Posted

Had a buddy had the green light. Same thing happened, he had to have TURP after. I have had to have TURP twice this year. Prostate was big and dense it squeezed back down. Second one he didn't take much out. Blood for a couple days is all. I bled more after he cathed and scoped me before second surgery. Little tissue passing . The first time omg I passed a bunch of it. Chunks, clots, scabs.

• Posted

I spoke to my doctor last night about not peeing like a race horse as he termed it. He told me it will take time to heal, I have had prostate issues for the last 10 years that i know of and he assured me that there was nothing wrong with me that time will not heal. He advised me that the prostate was pushing on my bladder for a long time and that just because of the surgery the body needs time to heal and adjust. also he reminded me that I am on Myrbetriq and that relaxes the bladder so my stream may not be that strong. I am due to see him in early January for my follow up. Thanks for the comments.
    • Posted

Rick can I ask you why did you pick qa Turp with all the other procedures out there.  Knowing Turp is the hardest to heal from.  Did your doctor offer you anything else or did it tell you this is it take it or leave it.  There is a decline in this procedure because of the healing time.  And alot of men that have had it wished they would have done something else  Hope all goes well for you  Ken  
    • Posted

He did not do lazer, he did do eurolift but insurance would not pay for it. The microwave had a 70% chance and would take 6 months to see any changes for me. At the end prior to surgery I would have to urinate every 30 minutes. So I went with the TURP, I read it was 100% chance of fixing my problem.
    • Posted

I had a urolift done almost 2 years ago I have well Care  They payed for mine.  If they would not have I would not have anything done.  No one is going to cut up my prostate.  I hope it works for you but they have been problem for some men with having a turp.  There have been men on this site that had to have 2 or 3 turp to fix the first problem.  It suppose to be good for 15 years but it's not the fix all it once was.  Good luck I hope it works for you.  Ken

• Posted

>> he did do eurolift but insurance would not pay for it

- 52% of the population here voted against Eurolift back in June, that's probably why insurance wouldn't pay !  (NB : it's really called "Urolift"wink.  Better to have PRostate tissue actually removed, i.e. it exits the body : PREXIT !!

• Posted

Not really if it's going to cause more problems.  I heard from my urologist office that medicare will be paying for urolift starting January 1, 2017.  Also acording to the Urology Journal   The Turp procedure is down 20% with all the other procedure. The main reason men do not want retro ejaculation.  Alot of men are not just taking there doctor word that a turp is a fix all.  It 's not for all men.  Thank God for that...Have a good Holiday  Ken    

• Posted

my doctor told me the same thing that Medicare was paying for it now. I am with Anthem Blue Cross that is supplied at no charge from my wifes employer.
    • Posted

i also had go have it done before the end of the year due to insurance deductible met and knowing next year of deductible will be higher.
    • Posted

What do you think about having the Holep done?  It supposed to be for very large prostate's.

• Posted

Not sure. Sounds good but they don't know about long term durability cause it's new. And what I read it runs the chance of regrowth requiring repeat procedures. But I guess that is the same as other procedures. And the article I read at Mayo clinic said almost all end up with RE. I don't like the thought of getting a doc who hasn't done alot of them practicing on me either. I guess it's a personal preference thing. Research your doc as much as the procedure.

• Posted

I had no problem when I had mine done in 2015 and when I had a repair in feb othis year they payed for both  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.