Post Turp

Posted , 8 users are following.

A month or so ago I asked for some advice about a TURP on this site so thank you again for all those who responded.

I had the operation on 24 April and still couldn't pee so was on a catheter again for two weeks. There is around a 40% chance of this if a patient presents with chronic or acute urinary retention - I had both. The catheter was out on May 11 and I was able to void resonably well although much better at night than during the day. On the first night post catheter I was up to pee 9 times, the next night 5, and last night 3. I have no post operative pain but the only thing that really motivates voiding are "stomach cramps" in the bladder but these are less painful now. Today I am totally knackered due to lack of sleep. My urolog has signed me off until 27 June with light duties until the end of July. I like to run, walk in the mountains, and ride my bike - what is it like getting back into action after 6 months off? Would welcome comments. I am 70.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You're rushing. Whilst everone heals at a different rate, you may personally need more patience. Your expectations should be for a sleady but sure recovery.

• Posted

Looking for someone who have had the Uro lift. My urologist is recommending it for post radiation scaring.
  • Posted

Lyn the only thing I have to say is you should have had something else done at your age.  alot time for your body to heal.  Did you get a second opioion.  It can take up to a year for you to heal and it may not work.  Doctor do not know if it will work until it done.  Good luck  Ken
  • Posted

I don't remember your post but did people on this Forum actually advise to to have a TURP?

• Posted

I'm 66.  One major difference between us is I did not have fluid retention.  It took me forever to pee, but it all eventually came out.  That and the urgency and frequent night trips made me decide to get the surgery.  I looked at all the options, but chose TURP as it seemed to have the best hope for long term results.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are improving.  I had my TURP in early January and was out walking a couple of miles within three weeks.  The only complication I had was that I caught pheumonia shortly thereafter and wound up back in the hospital.  I can't say the walking contributed to that, but I probably should have waited until my immune system was a little stronger post surgery.  From everything I've read, walking is encouraged 3-4 weeks post surgery.  All in all, my TURP was a very positive experience.

• Posted

I'm 66. One main difference between us is I was not retaining urine. I had urgency, frequent trips and very slow stream. All these have signicantly improved. After considering all the options I chose TURP because of its long term durability.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.