Post Turp Urination Issue

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I had a TURP last Monday and all went well. I went in to the urologist's office on Wedndesday for catheter removal. It took time to be able to produce drips, then, the drips increased to small spurts, which was adequate for me to "pass." I urintated several times thereafter. Each time the stream was better. The last or next to last before going to bed at 10:00 PM was almost normal.  By 3:30 AM Thursday morning I needed to urinate or pee, but, try as I could, without any straining, I had no positive result. True to my surgeon's instructions I went to the ER where they re-installed a catheter. I see the surgeon's nurse on Monday for removal of the catheter. Needless to say I am a little anxious about what things will be like on this go around. Has anyone experienced a situation. similar to mine? I don't understand why I went from being able to urinate to not being able to urinate at all. If anyone has had a similar experience I would love to learn about it. Thanks. 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is not that uncommon. Depending on how decompensated your bladder was before the surgery, it can take some time for the bladder to "wake up". Usually a few extra days of the catheter allows things to heal.

• Posted

Thanks for responding. I am seeing the doc Monday morning which will be three days that I have been on the second cath. Hopefully the total of five days will help the healing. 
  • Posted

It might have been as simple as a blood clot or piece of tissue got stuck. Might be scar tissue. I had a weak stream. Doc used a Cath to feel for and resistance like scar tissue, or stricture . He felt nothing said give it a couple days to heal. That was on a Tuesday and I had a follow up app anyways. He told me if I couldn't pee to call him back or go to the ER. After I got home I passed a huge clot. everything was fine after that.

• Posted

I had my turp last December, peed fine after cath was removed 2 days after surgery. From what i have read on this site over the months is that there is swelling going on after the procedure. By reinstalling the cath your body can heal and the swelling will go away after a week or so. The next thing you will deal with is burning after peeing for a couple of weeks. Hope things get better soon. The guys on this site will surely give you some good info about your condition.
    • Posted

Thanks.  I see the doc on Monday, which is a week following the surgery. Hopefully the swelling will have reduced quite a bit. Did you feel burning after the cath came out when you urinated? Or, did it develop after going several times. 
  • Posted

Hello, i had two turps done about 12 years back. I'm sure your Dr. told you you probably wont' be able to ejaculate every again. Hope it goes better for you but i regret it since it never helped me at all. I had them done because i got up and still do to this day, all night long.

• Posted

Be aware that the longer the catheter is in, the greater the chance of your developing urethra strictures.
    • Posted

I assume it's the irritation of the tube being there for a longer period of time.  Do a search on suprapubic catheters after TURP.  Studies show that a suprapubic cath, rather than a Foley, really cuts down on the number of strictures, and gives a better patient outcome.

After I had Greenlight, my catheter came out after a day, I had a blockage and the ER put another Foley in that stayed for 6 days.  I have irreparable strictures and  full incontinence 18 months later.  Don't know if that's the reason.  

Also, I recently ran into a study in which one group of patients (around 50 as I recall

• Posted

...irritation...

It makes sense. I also think about the urethra injuries that can occur during insertion. Hank

• Posted

This is scarey. The cath they inserted immediately after surgery was large, I am told. When I went to the ER the day after removal of the first, I was told that the cath was a regular, not large size. Hoping that this doesn't cause any strictures. 

• Posted

I was sent home the next day with a huge one in me! Back to er three days later fever an rib back pain. My dr saw me as I was going through every test pain med IV antibiotics IV Ct scans on my kidney ended up being an infection An bruised ribs from surgery but the the second day there he said let's remove the cath! Nurse this young lady's eyes almost popped out as that tree trunk exited my pee pee An blood dripping An matter my god I almost popped my eyes out as she said this is gunna hurt! Yeaaa it did damn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.