Post turp worry after having IDC for nearly 3 years.

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi i'm 69 &  had acute urine retention due to BPH.

the urologist said it would be unlightly that my bladder would function properly again but suggested i have turp procedure anyway.

i had a foley permanently for over 2 1/2 years & although i was spared uti's the cath regularly blocked so much so that i become obcessed with checking the leg bag every 15 minutes or so - strangely it always blocked between 2 & 4am & i had to endure the excuciating pain sometimes for 2 hours until the DN saved me.

fast forwarding to now - i had the turp last sept &

thankfully (a gross understatement) i've had no probs.

i just can't believe my luck.

however, now every time i go to the bathroom i get really stressed out in case i can't go & to be honest it's all i continually  think about..

surely this cannot be normal?

cheers

0 likes, 19 replies

Report / Delete

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As a psychotherapist I can't help but suggest you would benefit from a course of counselling, as what you describe as problematic seems entirely psychological in nature, albeit in reaction to some pretty horrible medical exoeriences.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm with Pepasan on this.  You story reminds my of a friend who will worry at whatever turn life brings him.  Anxiety conditions show themselves in many ways; this might be symptomatic of a more general stressed approach to small and large challenges of life.  Fear ain't fun, and better to get a handle on it sooner than later...
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Having had a Foley Catheter in place for only three weeks following a Robot-Assisted Prostatectomy, I feel for you having one for so long. I don't think I could do it for so long.

I am glad to hear you are over that period and have had a more positive outcome.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Can u explain what a turn is lol. Anyone having prostrate trouble did they pee out semen after the urine. Every time I have to wee wen finished semen comes out and I still soft not hard it's weird. It happened a few time a few years ago but now most if not all times. Nothing had changed in my life, I still ejactulate regularly I'm 40yo so not old , no drugs. Anyone else had this ? I also have an embarrassing problem too. If want to go to doctor but I dosnt matter female or male doctor touching me down there I get hard straightaway and I'm not gay. It just happens so I avoid doctor as long as I can because of this. Last time a male doctor grabbed my testicals and I was not tuned on by him but I got an erection and pre cum came out I was so so embarrassed and don't want this to happen again, any one have this
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Voice of experience (I had my own reasons for doc-avoidance, though not this.) :  accept that this happens, and SEE THE URO-DOC AS NECESSARY!  The uro's have seen it all; they will think nothing of it (or if the DOC is gay, will be mildly amused!   :-)  )  And who knows?  Many men and women are latent-gay (Not that that is a bad, thing, mind you..  :-D  ), and this would happen, though I'm sure there are other explanantions.  But your HEALTH is #1; see doctors as necessary....

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

wat makes it strange no one has come forward and said this happens to them tho, I must be just me and I can't go and be a ragging monster down there ever time a doctor sees me. sad 40yo and feel,like a weirdo
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Frankly I'm jealous - would love to spring to life so easily - who cares what happens at the doctors' - they've still got a job to do in helping you with whatever your condition is!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, at 66 I would say Everything's relative!!  A little embarrassment?  I could ahndle that!!  :-)   And really, Drewy, I'm NOT making light of your situation at all!  Rather, at my age, I have had to learn to laugh at myself.  And I've taken to wearing my kilt to the uro-docs office.  It tells them:  OH! OH!  We've got a weird one coming in!   And so anything that follows is just plain fun... which some of my dead friends don;t get to have.  Like I jsut wrote: it's ALL relative!!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sry , I have done discussion twice now no one answered so I sent email to contact email on here and they said to do wat I'm doing but I'll leave u guys alone, sry again
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Didn't mean to send you away, but compared to life and death issues of retention and cancer, it seems to me you just need to get on with getting checked out and stop worrying about your embarassment, and  indeed feel lucky that your sexuality is so energised!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

But they think as I've been speaking to doctors without actually being tested till next week or dropping the pants it most very well be prostate cancer. I did just want second and third opinions but thanks for making a guy feel worse than I thought I would
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I apologise if my comments weren't helpful, my intention is to be honest but with compassion. I had no idea from your post that you were concerned about cancer.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up