Post Uro Lift Doctors Visit

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have a Uro Lift procedure scheduled for 10/25. We spend the winter in Florida starting 1/15. My physician felt the last follow up with him would be 1 month post procedure and would not interfere with travel plans. Seems a bit optimistic . Curious what others have experienced with folloow up visits with their physician.

2 likes, 151 replies

151 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI,Did your urologist,run tests,urodynamics,cystoscopy,prostate ultra sound?

to see if you quailfy for the uro lift?Is this done in the office or a hospital?

I'm almost 87 years old,and have urine rentention.Thanksfor the information

• Posted

I too had a 3rd lobe aka median lobe however it was small, either stunted or just getting started. At any rate it was pinned back so as not to impinge on the urethra. As I noted earlier on this thread I view my UroLift procedure as successful. If you have a median lobe on the small side your urologist if skilled may elect to perform the procedure.
    • Posted

Bill,Did you have run these tests,before you had uro lift?

urodynamics,cystoscope,prostate ultra sound?

thanks

• Posted

HI BILL,I had the cysto, urodynamics ,not yet?Was their much pain with this test?Also the prostate ultra sound,did they give you  a genereal anesthesia ?

thanks for the info Bill??

• Posted

Yes I did undergo all testing prior to having the UroLift procedure. That included ultrasound of prostate, cystoscope, urodynamics. The ultrasound and cystoscope revealed the 3rd lobe. These test were not fun but nevertheless interesting, especially the cystoscope as I was able to watch the physician examine my prostate and I could clearly see the aberrant 3rd lobe.
  • Posted

How much is the cost of Urolift? Any one knows if its available in Canada?
    • Posted

In the U.S., our insurance companies can verify if a procedure is covered, the total cost they'll pay, and then, the patient's co-pay amount...But you'll need to obtain the Procedure Code from your healthcare (urologist) provider...I don't know how things work in Canada, but a urologiost there should be able to provide a price quote..

• Posted

FDA, yes,Medicare, yes. Size of prostate most likely will continue to increase post UL procedure. There may be brief, transient episodes of mild prostate swelling post sex or intense exercise such as running or biking hard that could temporarily cause brief, minor urethral obstruction that resolves after a few hours. Since my Urolift procedure I no longer rely on prostate supplements or Flomax. Follow up studies on UL patients now at 3 years showing little need of further interventions or most patients. I should note that at age 74 I run road and trail races and mountain bike including racing, hence I have experienced mild brief episodes of swelling but no need to do anything as it goes away quickly. Also because there is some evidence Vitamine D deficiency may contribute to continued growth of prostate, make sure you are not deficient in Vitamine D.
  • Posted

I really disliked urofynamics testing. I had no sedation or anesthesia but of course the test precludes that. Just an uncomfortable exam.
    • Posted

Hi Bill, Why didn't they give you a local anesthetic when you did the urodynamics test?

• Posted

The Urodynamics procedure is only painful to me at least during cath insertion. An anesthetic jell was used but did nothing for me. What was uncomfortable to me was after they filled my bladder to near capacity then ask me to urininate with the cath still in. It wasn't painful, but just awkward, I didn't feel I was able to come anywhere close to full bladder evacuation because of the urine coming not out of the cath but outside the cath. I assume no anesthetic is used as they don't want to alter your receptors used in urination. As I noted above a mild anesthetic jell was used for cath insertion but it did nothing to mitigate for me the pain especially when pushing the cath by the urethral obstruction caused by my swollen prostate.

• Posted

Hi Bill, Thanks for that info.Do You have urine rentention?  I do.How long was the procedure? i"m not looking forward to this?

thanks,

• Posted

I had that procedure 2 years ago.  Although my memory may not be the best, I remember PAINFUL experiences; this was not one of them for me, Frank.  Maybe this offers the possibility that yours will be easy, too!  :-)

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for that info. Did you have to run these tests before procedure?

Urodynamics, Cystoscopy, Prostate ultra Sound?

Thanks,

• Posted

Frank before UroLift I did have bladder retention of urine even after peeing. This is called incomplete bladder evacuation. Ultimately I was having total obstruction of urine flow and was just barely able to pee at all. I was given a couple of oral medications to sedate me prior to the Urolift install and those were highly effective. Yet I could respond to the physician during the procedure if asked to do something, so the procedure itself as painless. The install was completed in 20 minuted give or take a minute. I had no pain at all after the procedure and was able to pee but with effort. Beginning the next dap peeing was quite difficult and remained so for an additional 24 hours as my prostate was swollen from the procedure. However I was able to void 200 mL/ hour mostly in dribbles during that time so I got little sleep because just about the time I was dozing off I would awaken to pee, but only dribbles. Not fun but no pain. 3 days post procedure my urine flow was coming back nicely and by the 4 the day I stopped FloMax and have not used if since. To summarize the procedure was pain free, recovery was uncomfortable but tolerable, requiring no pain medication, the only pain I ever experienced was the cathertizations required for urodynamics and cystoscope and those were short lived, hence tolerable. I had no bleeding during of after the install but on first pee I did have a very tiny drop of blood but that was it. So, my advice is don't waste your energy being frightened as you will be getting a wonderful gift for your efforts: ability to pee and have sex normally without giving either a second thought.

• Posted

Bill - Congratulations on your succcess with Urolift!.....I hope you make a full recovery fast..
    • Posted

Hi Bill, Thanks for al the good info on Uro Lift.I hope you have a speedy recovery. Do you know if i could have general anesthsia,for this procedure?

thanks,

• Posted

Frank, that depends on the doctor.  My guy does it in his office, under local.  (I had something given orally.)  To go under general, you might have to be in the hospital, with an anesthesiologist.  So MUCH more expensive if you care about that.  My experience was similar to Bill's. No pain during the procedure, although it SOUNDED like a staple gun going off inside me each time he installed an implant.  That was weird, but NOT painful!                       Talk with your doc about it.  If you require being sedated, you may limited your opportunities!

• Posted

Frank when I had mine in 2015 I had general in a hospital.  I was there maybe 4 hours total.  Went home a hour after it was done..Ken
    • Posted

I just read cartoonman's response, and I'll second that.

• Posted

Hi Ken, maybe you or someone else has an answer to my problem?I have a Medicare advantage plan HMO--The worst mistake i ever made. I was told to change networks so i could see this urologist that does Uro Lift. I had to wait 3 weeks for exchange to take place in other network. Today i saw my new PCP ,asked for a referral to his urologist office ,they said he is not in the network ,i could only see him if i had a PPO.  New registration starts Oct 15, i cannot use this PPO plan unti Jan !st 2017. This is crazy i have to keep this catheter [foley in me until Jan !st.-for a medical evaulation on Uro Lift? E=If anyone has an answer to this i would greatly appreciate it.Here is the final blow ,even if your Dr,is in the network ,but not on staff at the hospital  you want to to ,you can't go to that hospital. HMO are the worst plans ,it looks like i'm stuck till the ist of the year.

Unbelievable!!!

• Posted

That is the way the insurence comapanys are.  Do you get it worked out  Sorry to hear that Frank  Ken
    • Posted

You are in an unfortunate bind, for sure!  Sad to read.  And yes, I was warned to stay the hell away from Medicare (DIS)Advantage... not everyone knows.   That said, two thoughts:  (1) Why a Foley?  Any reason you can't self-cath?  I had one week of Foley, two eyars ago--- and hated it.  Have self-cathed as needed ever since, and it's a WORLD of a difference!   (2)  Unless you insist on being totally sedated, the Urolift can be done in the doctor's office, not in hospital.  That might make a difference.  I had my Urolift last December with only a local, and it worked just fine.

Can you get rid of the Foley?????

• Posted

Hi, Why do you have to sel cath? You had a uro Lift? I don't get it? 

Thanks for the info,

• Posted

Blown out bladder that doesn't self-empty, plus small (38g) prostate, that filled in tight again  a few months after the surgery.  Have a return visit to the Urolift doc scheduled for late this month, to see whether another round of implants  will open the little sucker up enough to solve the tightness.  It's a chance, but worth the chance.  No TURPS in my future!  :-)

THanks for asking...

• Posted

Cartoonman How many did they but in the first time.  I know that Chuck had to have 8 implant put in before it worked great  I had 4 implants and for some reason my prostate got smaller Had to have them tighten Stll working good  Ken
    • Posted

Glad to hear all's good with yours!  :-)  How long ago was your procedure?

I had 6 implants last December.  The doc is willing to add up to 6 more.  My prostate's so small, I wonder where he will put them!  :-)   Must remember to pack my KILT for the return flight; tight jeans NOT the appropriate outer wear, post-op!!  :-D

• Posted

I had mind done April of 2015.  Had 4 implant put in  All was fine until December.  I know something was wrong.  Had some pain in the groin and orgasms were very pain full  Went to my urologist and he told me that I had a prostate infection Was on Cispro 1000mg for a month.  He did a scope at the end of feb found out one of the implants let loose.  Went in for repair.  When he went in he had to tighten at the implant My prostate got smaller. ( Don't know why )  He thinks it was the Cispro but he can't be sure.  A week later I had emergency surgery.  I was peeing blood and was having bladder spasm. The doctor that did the surgery was not mine so I made him sign a paper that my prostate was to stay in tak and there was to be no cutting of it at all.  They did not know why I was bleeding.  He did sign after 15 minutes.  I told him I will not have the surgery unless he signed it.  I had 3 blood clogs around the prostate from going on my blood thinners. He burn them   Was in the hospital for 3 days with a 24 hour flush.  3 way 24Fr catheter I was happy when that came out.  I was told that it would never have happer if I would have waited a week for my blood thinners.  I just did what my doctors said.  Will all is good now  I have no problems on no meds.  Just was checked My stricture is good my prostate is still small and bladder is great.  PSA is 0.7.  So  I have had some problem so I know what some of the men are going through.  I would do the Uro-lift again if I had the chance.  I would not do any of the others.  To many side effects.  I guess were he place the implants the first time were not right.  He  may get it right now.  I had the surgery at 1PM and was home at 4.  I also had a catheter put in.  I have a problem peeing on demand so my doctor throught it was best.  Came out 3 days later and had no problem just a little burning.  Do have some pads with you.  Just in case.  I had them in the first day  I hope all goes well for you.  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

You might be able to either pay out of pocket, or appeal their decision within that company because of the medical necessity of your situation. Finally, if nothing else works, self cathing will be better than having an indwelling catheter that long. There are other threads on this site which will tell you about self cathing.

Neal

• Posted

Yes Frank  If they give you a problem.  There are many men on here that have worked out the kinks of CIC  Listen to them  Ken  Sorry Neal  Have a good day
    • Posted

Hi Ken, Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. I guess you never know ,even with uro lift?I'm reading when some guys had GL Laser and they are doing great.I hoping i see the new urologist on 10/13.

• Posted

My urolift is fine Just had it checked and the implant are still in the smae place  Ken
    • Posted

Hi,Cartoonman,Is their much pain in self cath?? I asked my Uro to take out the foley Oct 24, and teach me how to self cath. I hope this is a good decision.So glad to hear you had no problem with the Uro Lift. I have urine retention,don't know if i can have a uro lift? I wonder if Uro Lift is better than Rezum ,Have you heard any news on this??D o you need another Uro LIft??

• Posted

Frank  I heard from my doctor and he said the same thing what your urologist said about getting up at night even if the surgery works he also said They need to find out why your diuresing so much ( Holding fluid ) not the meds  He said could be kidney function or sleep apnea.  He also asked me if you drink alot of coffee  Ken   
    • Posted

Hi Ken, Thanks so much for this info. I don't drink a lot of coffee.I just spoke with my PCP .she said if i drink 2 litres of liquids per day and have output of 3 liters,thats a sign of dehydration. I should see a The DR she recommends for hormoens?My nightly out with this foley catheter varies ,some nights its 1800 ML aother nights iits 700 Ml. I think its how much liquids you consume at daytime. What do you think?

• Posted

That may be true. It seams to me that makes no cents.  Not everyones pees th same.  When I was in the hospital with sepsis in 2014 they gave me 2000 cc of fluid and I told them that I did not need to pee they forced a catheter in me with out my permission 3 times never got it in the bladder  I pee on my own a couple of hours later  ken  Have they checked your kidneys
    • Posted

Hi Frank, I am on vacation with lousy wifi, so a quick response tonight...  No pain, very little discomfort, and it gets easier the longer you do it!  I had Urolift Dec 2015, worked great for a few months, then prostate filled back in, so it appears.  Prostate smaller than 80gm they say; my doc has worked on TINY ones and large ones  Mine is 38gm, no medial lobe; you must have size and configuration checked.  Yes, I am having second Urolift on Tuesday, to see if we can get more of those implants to hold that little organ back.  I'll report on the results.  Meanwhile, I cath 3 X daily, just to make sure my already-way-stretched out bladder doesn't get overloaded.  In-between cathings if I'm drinking a lot of fluid and peeing naturally as much as 200cc at a time (currently canyoneering in Southern Utah and drinking LOTS to combat altitude sickness!).  At least once a week I'll wind up with ~800cc of liquid cathed out.  (Normal max is 300cc!)  Mine is permanently stretched out.  Others can comment on Rezum; I know nothing!     Also, big obvious item:  DO NOT DRINK FLUIDS AFTER DINNER TIME, or very little, especially alcohol; give your bosy a chance to process it BEFORE BEDTIME!            Btw: added benefit of cathing:  I cath right before bedtime, and almost always sleep right through the night!  More than most people my age can say!  :-)

• Posted

I wish you luck sometimes they don't put enough implants in.  Ken 

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for that info. Even though you had a Uro Lift,you still have to self cath? Did you have urine rentention before you had Uro Lift? My bladder was also stretched out. I just turned 87,How old are you?I don't like the foley

catheter,however i don't have to get up at all night .thats a plus. I know you said you also self cath before bedtime, how do you know when to self cath again? I wonder if drinking to much {not alcohol} would make you selcath more often??

• Posted

Hi Ken,Thanks again for that info. Yes my kidneys are ok ,i had a blood test.

Did you ever self cath? I'm  thinking about this.This forum says there is no pain?I hope thats true?I'm hoping the meds will shrink the prostate after 6 months. My URO thinks not. I have been taken avodart and flomax for 5 months. I still have urine rentention>

Thanks again, 

• Posted

Stretched out bladder, yes!  When my prostate shut down the pee function, 2 years ago, I had 2.5 LITERS of pee in me!   I'm now 67.  Urolift worked great, immediately, but tapered off after a few months.  Second Urolift scheduled for Tuesday.

Would never have a Foley over self-cathing! I avoid drinking late-evening.  Cathing before bed clears bladder.  I generally cath morning, noonish, and night.  When I have over 500cc in me, I can pee like normal, up to 200cc on my own.  Late in the day, when I'm tired, I sometimes retain up to 800cc.  Hoping that the second Urolift changes that!

• Posted

Hi Bill,Today was my first day at self cath. I know you have done this before. Did you find lying in a upright position in bed was the best way to do this?

Great to hear your Uro Lift was a sucess.

thanks

• Posted

HI , I just started self cath today,trying to find the best way to do this?I tryed standing.and sitting,never tryed lying in bed upright position? Which way did you find was the best for you? The nurse at the Uro office said never to use alcohal wipes, i thought they good to use?

thanks

• Posted

Frank, I've never heard that about alcohol wipes.  I have been using such wipes, or witchhazel-flavored wipes, or alcohol from a bottel in our medecine chest for over two years, and still have a functioning pud!  :-)  

BEST TECHNIQUE:  several of us cathing veterans prefer this method, as it is fast and easy to accomplish:  standing, clean tip of penis, then hold it just below the head, close to STRAIGHT UP/VERTICAL (toward the ceiling!)  Holding the "spout" end (green end, for Speedicaths), lower the thin end to the tip of the penis.  Gently insert.  The trick is to keep the hand/fingers holding the penis slightly below the tip, so if you miss and the cath swings away from the penis, it doesn't contact unsterile hands.  As the cath goes in, lower the penis to 45º off vertical, or down to horizontal, if that makes further entry easier.  Resistance where it meets the bladder neck, and again more resistance as it passes through the prostate is normal.

In this way, you do not touch any part of the cath that goes inside you, thereby limiting the possibility of contamination.  Any questions?

• Posted

The Speedicaths I have look a couple of feet, or so, long. How much of that is actually going to go in?

Neal

• Posted

The SpeediCaths I have are the diagonal length of my MacBookPro (about 13 inches).  All but the last inch or two goes in.   But it's not about how far you CAN push it in; insert until you have GENTLY pushed it through the prostate restriction.  As soon as pee starts flowing, that's as far as you need to go.  Stand patiently until fluid stops coming out.  In my case, I then slowly withdraw the cath until the stream starts again.  I then siphon out another 50cc or so.  When that stops, I continue withrawing the cath until it's out.  

BTW, sometimes the stream from the bladder just trickles to a finish, other times I swear, the stream fairly "slams shut!"  Can't say why, but don't be alarmed if it does.  All part of the experience.  :-)

Additional tip:  You might want to cath/pee into a graduated vessel (like a 2-cup measuring cup or similar), and then note the quantities.  This is valuable info for numerous situations and conditions, and will tell you over time, how much you are retaining after you have peed what you can pee (if you can pee at all).  If you can't pee at all, cathing when you "feel the urge" will tell you how severely your bladder is permanently stretched out, by how much pee it holds before the signal-to-want-to-pee goes off.  With me it happens anywhere from 350cc (300cc is normal holding limit) to 800cc before it complains!

• Posted

Don't you need a Lubricant to  lubricate the cath so it will go in easier?....How do you clean your hands before you start?

• Posted

Is your Retention due to obstruction in the prostate or a Non-Functioning Bladder Muscle?....
    • Posted

Thanks for this info . I will try it.I have done this sel cath 4 times,i do get pain with the speedyicath prelubed cath . My uro said never to use alcohal wipes on tip of penis? I hope your way of doing this is better than theirs>

Thanks 

• Posted

???What does the doc say you should be using instead of alcohol wipes???

Also, SpeediCaths come straight-tipped and with a little "beak"-like tip, which is to be used ONLY if you have an obstruction (e.g., due to weird prostate).  I was once sent a box of hooked ones by (their) mistake.  I used 'em, not knowing the diff, and it hurt every time.  By the time I learned what was wrong (probably here), I'd used 'em all up.  Unsympathetic company said you used em, you bought em!  I have used only straight tips since, with no pain... 

• Posted

Hi, Valuable info ,thank you so much.I  have urine rentention also.I just started self cath,did it 7 times. I do get pain when i do this.Do you

get pain also when you sel cath? is this normal? Also,how can i know how much pee my bladder holds after i cath? MY OUT PUT IS AROUND 12 TO 14 OUNCES.

My uro did not tell me the things i'm learning on this forum.

Thanks again,

• Posted

Hi My uro said to wash penis with soap and water ,or use antibacterial wipes{wet ones } big

• Posted

Hi, uro said to use antibacterial wipes [wet ones' big.

i have an enlarge prostate with obstructing lateral lobes. Do you think this 

coloplast speedyi cath prelubed  is the wrong one,since i do get pain when i use them?

thanks

• Posted

Google the 2002 CDC report on hand hygiene.

Look at the tables from page 13 & 14 in the PDF.

Short answer: The alcohol-based hand sanitizers work very well at disinfecting your hands, and are generally better than washing with soap and water.

As for your catheters, ask for samples of whichever one you don't have, and see if it's easier.   There are two types, straight and hooked.  The right one doesn't hurt...

• Posted

Hi Cartoon Man,

What do you mean by "weird prostate "? We all have weird prostates, or we wouldn't be on this forum. Could you be more specific please.

Thanks,

Neal

• Posted

I never learned from my Uro-doc's PA what he meant by that, sorry...

• Posted

Hi , Thanks for all your info!!
    • Posted

Thanks so much for the information. I was surprised that they are so long,but if they work.......

I had a blockage after a biopsy, and had a terrifying and painful trips across town to get catherized at the doctor's office. One of those will last you a while, and I feel so much better being able to self cath.

Thanks again,

Neal

• Posted

Hi,my friend, Thanks for all the good info. I was wondering if what you eat ,or how much you drink[not alcohal} would make me self cath more? i just started,and i;m doing about 6 caths a day? 

thanks,

• Posted

The number of times you cath/day is dependent upon at elast a couple of variables.  Assuming an absence of infection or other internal stuff going on that would irritate the system, your intake of fluids and the size of you bladder are the two basic determinants.  You bladder normally holds 300cc before the bells go off, requesting relief.  If you are consuiming normal amounts of fluid, 6 X per day seems about right.  LUCKY YOU!  :-)  Meaning... with my stretched-out bladder, I can hold 600cc of the golden fluid without complaints from down below.  I don't drink much late at night, and cath right before bed, for a good night's sleep.  I forget your age, if I knew; Medicare covers up to 6 catheters per day.  If you're not old enough for Medicare, I will just say.... "Age has its privileges!"  :-D

You might want to Google what foods, what liquids are diuretics.  Just a thought...

• Posted

Hi,Thats great info,thank you.  I must have a stretched out bladder also.

500cc ,400, 300,it varies. I'm trying to hold the time to 5 hours,before i cath.

Do you sleep throughout the night? At 87 years old ,i wish their was another way of living with this problem.I'm hoping After 6 months the Avodart will work. I still have rentention? I had a foley catheter catheter for 5 months,I did sleep throughout the night with this.I think this self cath could be good for rentention?Do you also think so???

• Posted

Hi BIll, God Bless you for this info. I have complete retention .i cannot pee without  doing CIC. MY Uro said Uro Lift won't work if you have retention.

I'm 87  and if This uro lift would work  for that would be great. To find a URO that has lots of experience is the answer also?Can you tell me if you had complete retention?

thanks a lot BIllfrank,

• Posted

Frank, before Uro Lift (UL), I had episodes of complete retention. In other words I had a full bladder and could only squeeze out a few drops of urine. Fortunately, by standing in a hot shower for several minutes I was able  to urinate sufficiently to avoid having to be cathed. I experienced this several times prior to my UL procedure. As I have stated previously I now enjoy normal or near normal urine flow 8 months after my UL install. Also, I am able to have normal ejaculations during sex. Before UL I could experience orgasm but no ejaculation. Before UL I had to awaken to pee 3 to 4 times each night, and frequently was unable to return to sleep after these middle of the night awakenings. Now, I retire to bed around 11 pm and sleep to around 7 am with no awakenings to pee. Sleeping through the night is wonderful.  I am 74 years old and enjoy excellent health taking no Rx medications except for a dry eye condition (Xiidra eye drops). I use to rely on Flomax, taking it for over 10 years. I am aware of the floppy iris issue that can be unmasked by cataract surgery. I am years away from requiring cataract surgery but yes I do have concerns about my long term reliance on Flomax. Getting off of Flomax should be a number 1 reason for everyone with bph to consider UL. And if you cannot find a physician in your area qualified to do UL consider traveling out of town to find a competent urologist. 
    • Posted

Hey Neal,

That sucks!

I had a trus biopsy and had trouble peeing. The squeaky clean private hospital in Canberra had lots of perky young folks bustling about.

I had trouble peeing and thought it was normal so I  went home. The next day I was at emergency for a catheter.

It was in for a day and then removed. 24 hours later and back to the ER for it to be in for 5 days.

Tomorrow I get it out and see if I can pee. The urologist would not deign to call me! Not happy! 

I have an appointment with the urologist tomorrow afternoon. I think I am done  with the nice looking hospital. It is probably like when I worked on airplanes. If the hangar floor was painted with expensive expoxy paint and the lighting was good, chances are that the work was bad, real bad. Too much emphasis on the cosmetics and money.

Anyway fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi George,

Sorry you have so much trouble.

Keep the tip of your penis clean with 50% water mixed with 50% peroxide. Use a cotton swab to do this several times a day. After each cleaning, apply triple antibiotic ointment with aneanesthetic, Neosporin here in the states. This regimen will keep the catheter lubricated as it slides in and out as you walk and move about, and make it much less uncomfortable.

Hope this helps,

Neal

• Posted

Hi nealpros,

It is interesting that none of the medical people offered advice like yours. I did clean with soap. I learned that pubic hair gets trapped. It needs to be trimmed for sure. The catheter is out and I am waiting to see if I can pee.

I ordered a speedy cath sample today. It has to be better than a trip to the ER for a catheter.

• Posted

Hi George,

Yes, having done both, a Speedicath is MUCH BETTER than a trip to the ER to have a catheter put in when they "can get around to it".

If you haven't done it already, you should read the posts on here, and contact JimJames for detailed instructions on using the Speedicath. He's our resident expert, and is VERY good.

Neal

• Posted

Hi Nealpros,

I just got my third catheter. I am a little peeved at my urologist. He said in my last visit that he thought I would go into full retention. I had the wife along so I did not ask why he did not tell me to expect a catheter. I am ordering up some speedi cath for sure.

• Posted

Hi again,

The ER doctor spent a long time listening to my history and asking questions. She took a sample to test for an infection. This is something that to my knowledge has not been done even though I have said every single time that when I had antibiotics, for the first time I suddenly felt 20 years younger.

• Posted

Hi again George,

It looks to me like you need a different urologist. Yours is not treating you properly or effectively. You need to pursue the possibility that you have a prostate or urinary infection.

Also, I would emphasize again that you need to talk with JimJames and get some instructions on using the Speedicath or any other self catheter. If you use it properly, as I did after talking with him, it is completely painless. If you go poking around without instruction, there probably are blood, pain and infection in your future. Many doctors and nurses don't know how to insert a catheter properly which is one reason why so many men on this site have so much pain and burning after urinary / prostate procedures.

Neal

• Posted

Hi George,  

I'm a fan of the "JimJames Dive Bombing Method,"  and have been cathing for three years now, before and since a Urolift that didn't work for more than a few months. 

We each have our favorite methods.  To me, I like things to be as close to "normal" as possible.  For me, no soap, no peroxide, etc.  I keep a bottle of regular household alcohol in the loo.  I wet a piece of TP, swab the  (circumsized) "landing zone," open the package and insert the catheter.  I too chose the Speedicath 14s, straight tip.  The coude tip nearly shredded my insides.  One or the other should work for you.  

GENTLE INSERTION!  (The Serbian-born RN who "did me" the first time must have done time in another lifetime working for the Spanish Inquisition; she was ROUGH!  Not cool.)  Be gentle to yourself!    If there's resistance, WAIT.  BREATH.  Sometimes COUGHING helps, as the muscles (and maybe the prostate???) relax after coughs.  Insert, void, remove, slowly and gently.  

My approach adds 30 seconds to the process; not far from "normal."  I like it that way.  Although I had UTIs a couple times a year to start, I haven't had one now in over a year.  

Questions?  JimJames may be on vacation; a few of us follow most of his approach and can offer tips as needed...

• Posted

YES Jim is a great guy and know a lot.  He has helped many men on here.  And yes if you have to do CIC be as gentle as you can.   Take care all   Ken
    • Posted

I want to thank everybody who has taken the time to answer my questions.

I have a new one. Has anybody tried the 52 cent catheters from Paralogic's website in australia?

They go on about saving money. They do sell the Speedicath.

My next question is which size of speedicath to buy? I currently have a size 14 foley in at the moment.

• Posted

I would start with size FR14 and if you have an obstructed prostate, you will want to try the Coude (bent tip) model that is designed to go around and not stick into the prostate. If all goes well, you can then try dropping down to size FR12. Conversely, if you can't get by the prostate, you could go up a size to FR16. As to saving money, you can find a red rubber for maybe $3 that could last say ten days. So if you cath 6x/day, it comes to only five cents a cath, which beats Paralogic's 52 cent model! That said, 52 cents for single use is a good price. 

Jim

Jim

• Posted

Hi Nealpros,  I am starting to lose confidence in my current guy. Not because he is not a great cutter. I work on spa's and hot tubs and whenever I get the chance I strike up a conversation with whatever health care worker I meet. They say he is really good!

The problem I have had is the followup and dismissing any other procedure. He did a sales pitch for a turp using either open surgery or the new machine that they just got this year. The wife was convinced! That worries me as she has reverse instincts. All I have to do as say the word "Holden". When I first came to oz She and her dad insisted that I did not know anything about used cars and saddled me with a holden. I found stuff that only the factory could have done wrong!  Sooo I am not so sure about the cutter.

I asked him about drugs and got a prescription for Avodart. He did not remember prescribing it 2 weeks later when he finally called me. Other than flowmaxtra no other drugs have been   recommended. 

• Posted

Ditch the doc, avoid the TURP!  TURP should be the last choice!  Check out options; don't fall for pressure, from doc or your wife.  It's your body!

• Posted

Hi George

Frequently doctors only learn how to do only one procedure, or buy an expensive piece of equipment for only one procedure, for example a turp, and if you show up in their office with a broken leg you're going to get a TURP. Get another doc who will put your needs ahead of his or her pocket book.

Neal

• Posted

Expanding on what Neal is saying, take Urolift, Rezum or now the upcoming Aquablation, or FLA, or just about any procedure. I assume a doctor makes not only a sizeable monetary commitment to the equipment manufacturer, but a time commitment as well. (Well, not so sure always about the time commitment when I read Rezum training was less than a weekend course!) But in any event, the procedure then becomes not just a therapeutic vehicle for the patients but a business decision/investment or the practice. So yes, if the doctor is invested in Urolift, do you think he will recommend or even consider Rezum for his patients and vice versa? Some doctors, especially in the larger practices, may offer more than one procedure, so here you might be able to get a little more objectivity, but no one offers everything out there, so it's really up to the patient to do due diligence and narrow the field down because relying on the uro to do that is oftentimes unfortunately unrealistic. Ever go into a Ford dealer and ask about a comparative Chevy model? What do you think the odds are that the Ford dealer will give you objective info?

Jim

• Posted

I am seeing Dr Schlapoff in Liverpool Sydney next Friday about a PAE. His nurse sent a bunch of studies that say PAE is better than a TURP.

I wonder if the studies are skewed because every body is eligible for a TURP, and not everybody can have a PAE. I Sent them to my GP who had not heard of PAE.

He says he is going to research it.

• Posted

I am easy to push until the switch flips over into "lockwired in the p****d off position". Thanks for the support. This is my first foray into the medical industry.

• Posted

George   You also have to remember a PAE is much easier to heal from less down time  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Jim, I had a quick search on the interblab and found the CEO of NXthera's interview. He said that the single use applicator for REZUM is about 1100.00 dollars. The machine looks like something I could knock out in the garage. So once the sunk costs of the machine is paid off, the numbers he was using was 1900.00 minus 1100.00 leaves 800.00 for the doc. The training was two days and do some procedures under supervision. Way cheap and profitable.

• Posted

Hi George,

PAE is a wonderful procedure when done properly. Bear in mind that it is not done by a urologist , but by a different specialist called an interventional radiologist, so it will never be recommended by a urologist, since they make no money on It. You must be tested and diagnosed properly, and the procedure must be done by a well qualified IR.

The procedure involves as much pain as an injection, 2 holes about the size of an IV, and no urinary catheter. The only side effect is that you will produce little or no seminal fluid afterwards, but all of the sensations of sexual relations are the same or better than before the PAE.

Neal

• Posted

Neal  Yes PAE is better then most of the procedure especially Turp.  And yes the prostate will produce less seminal fluid and you may lose it all together. But there have been men on here that said that the orgasm is not as intense.  They say it is cut by a 1/3.  So if you can live with that then it will be ok.  There is a 5 to 10 % chance on retro that what the doctors are saying.  When picking a procedure you have to make sure what side effect you can deal with.  Is it worth it or not  Take care  ken   
    • Posted

I am much reassured by what I read on this blog about PAE. I am seeing Dr Schlapoff next Friday. He has had good reviews on another post.

• Posted

Hi Kenneth I am not too concerned about how much seminal fluid. I do need to start peeing again.
    • Posted

Well George that is good.  Just that your aware of what can happen.  I hope if you decide you have a good outcome.  And nothing changes to much.  Have a good day  Ken
    • Posted

Or you could build one in the garage and pocket 1100 smile

But seriously, before you do Rezum or PAE, or anything for that matter, make sure you get your bladder function tested with urodynamics as well as the standard bladder scans and kidney/bladder ultrasound. Meanwhile, have you tried CIC yet? It will definitely get you emptying your bladder RIGHT AWAY which is faster than any procedure. That will also give you the luxury of taking your time investigating other procedures and/or building your DIY Rezum machine smile  BTW PAE doesn't work very well if you have a Median Lobe, so you should get that checked out. 

Jim

• Posted

Thanks Kenneth, At least my GP will have heard of PAE. Hopefully he will catch up to the times. A lot of his patients are oldies.
    • Posted

Hi Kenneth,

I have noticed NO change in the intensity of my orgasm.

The RE you are talking about with PAE is the decrease in seminal fluid I was talking about. True RE is when there is a normal amount of seminal fluid, but it goes into the bladder upon ejaculation because the muscle between the bladder and the prostate has been injured by a procedure such as a turp. What happens with a PAE is that less seminal fluid is produced by a much smaller prostate. Those two things look the same, but have very different causes.

Neal

• Posted

I am happy that everything stayed the same for you.  Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.