Posterior Prolapse (Rectocele) Surgery @ 27. I'm worried!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have also been embarrassed to talk about my rectocele situation. 

Unlike most people on this site, I am only 27 years old. I have one child who I delivered vaginally 7 years ago. I am 5ft 6in tall and weigh 127lbs. Every doctor I've seen has been shocked to find I have a severe rectocele. I guess I don't match the normal profile.

I am scheduled to have surgery on the 19th of this month. I found out today I have 4 weeks off work for recovery.  I WAS shocked it was so long but now I'm wondering if it's going to be enough... Human Resources did say I can get more (up to 12 weeks) if it comes down to it, but as a single mother, I can't afford to live on 60% of my pay. 

The first surgeon I saw was concerned about my age, afraid the risks were too high because I may decide to have more children someday, etc. However, my surgeon now sees it as a good thing as says I have youth on my side. He thinks I'll have a full recovery and will even be able to have kids years (Doctor recommends I wait at least 4) down the road if I choose.

Are there any other young mothers who've gone through the surgical repair?? I'm so worried.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Meg,

I'm 32 and have had a grade 3 rectocele repair 8 weeks ago. It happened after the birth of my second son in feb 2013.

I was asked to make the decision prior to surgery as to whether my family was complete,as my consultant doesn't recommend further pregnancies after the surgery.

It will depend on the kind of job you do as to how long you have off work, but from my own experience there is no way i would have been able to return 4 weeks post op, and am taking the full 12.

Everything seems to be going ok for me so far! (even though i still have grade1 cystocyele and uterus prolapse) and I'm hoping that when i see thw consultant at the end of jan she will confirm it was all a success.

Hope that helps.

X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Wow Meg, you are young to have this problem, but my sister had it done at 33. She had 2 children delivered vaginally. She did not plan on any more children. That was 20+ years ago.

I had it done 4 1/2 weeks ago and her advice to me is sit still! Don't think because you feel good that you can do too much. She is right. Everytime I overdo it I pay for it. I hope you have a good partnership with your 7 year old, so he or she can help you. 

I am sure every recovery is different, and I would think youth is on your side, just do not over do it!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Meg

I'm 35, I have 3 children and suspect I had my rectocele for a while before it became symptomatic enough to sort. I had the repair done just over a week ago and it really wasn't too bad. I had a bad night in hospital with the catheter & vaginal packing causing discomfort. I really struggled with my first bowel movement 3 days later (more from worrying about the pain than anything!) I took 2 laxido satchets and just went for it! The relief after was immense!! I am hoping to return to my part time office job a week Monday. I think I will be fine. You do have to rest up and not lift for a long time. I do not regret having it done at all!! All the best x 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi meg

Tough decissions for you to make.

I think you need further discussions with your Doctor before you go ahead with the operation.

I am 5 weeks post op and I am off work for another two weeks. I wòuld not have wanted to go back after 4 weeks. I am aware though that I had an awful lot of stitches. Maybe your recovery time will be less if you have less done. All guidelines I have read state 6-8 weeks. Also no heavy lifting around the house and I didn't drive for 4 weeks.

Please give it a lot of thought before you make a decision and rope in all the help you can get with your daughter and yourself. Good luck

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up