Postmenopausal bleeding-feels like my period?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, nice to *meet* all of you! 

Much like many of you, I, too, have had what appears to be a period the past week or so.  I am 54 years old, and my last period was Summer of 2013 (now Jan 2016). Mine began as brown discharge, and has some actual blood in it now, too.  It really feels like a period!  Is that typical of all of these issues you have had as well?  Though it didn't really register at the time, I recall having ovulation-like discharge a couple of weeks ago, preceding the darker discharge. I am under a ton of stress right now, not sure that has anything to do with it..Have an appointment for an ultrasound this coming week.  I have gained a few pounds the past couple of weeks, but not surprised considering the current discharge, etc.  Is this normal?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi , I myself have not started the menopause yet !. But I have heard of this quite a lot ! How people go a year to years without a period ! Then randomly  have one . My friend was told it was quite normal . But mention it to your Dr if really worried ! . Jackie
    • Posted

Thanks, Jackie.  Definitely getting an ultrasound to be sure.  As with everyone else, hard to be relaxed about it, but from what I have read a ot of women are experiencing this, like you said.  I guess I just get a bit cranky when I read articles on the topic that almost always go to the "cancer" scare first, but don't find a lot of data of so-called "expert" articles that explore this issue that don't prominently feature a potential cancer diagnosis.  

I feel a lot of empathy with other women who are scared, and the data and information available to all of us is primarily scary.  Just wish some of the experts spent more time exploring the non-fatal possibilities of this issue.  Not sure why they don't!  

• Posted

Yes, I've heard stress can bring bleeding on, and although it needs checking out this is so common as to be almost normal!  After all the one year without a period cut off point is an arbitrary thing thought up by men, and use the word men advisedly.  And yes, you are right, websites always mention cancer first, even though in 90% of cases it is something entirely benign, I guess they are afraid of being sued if someone ignores a symptom 
    • Posted

Thanks, Helen.  Yes, I think it has a bit to do with liability. Although they always say to see a doctor, which is important either way, they seem fixated on the bad news, and probably because they don't want to be sued. 

Just would be nice to see something that discusses the other possibilities in more detail.  Feel badly for all of the women sitting on forums like this wrining their hands and scared. They need to visit a doctor, of course, but would be nice to see a more full and complete coverage of all of the medical issues surrounding these changes.  Life is tough enough!

• Posted

I haven't had it myself. But my sister in law went had a very early menopause and then had what you describe including saying she thought she had ovulated too. This was some 10 years after her last period.

She was checked out and all was well no one had anything to say about it except it was unusual.

• Posted

Hi Susan, yes, I went through this exactly, and it's normal. I had no ultrasound for it, since it's part of entering the menopause phase. But yes, this is normal. It may happen again in 6 months or 2 years. It's just your body cleaning itself out, of what ever residual is left from the hormones. I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't go away after 2 weeks.
    • Posted

Thanks for all of your comments.  I am really surprised by how much it feels like an actual period. Been searching all over for other information, but most of it is so "dark" I can't read it anymore! This site has been great, a real outlet for the anxiety and stress while I obsess over this :-). 
  • Posted

No don't Google!!! This happened to me after almost 3 years in menopause. I read every website on the entire internet looking for something positive. I made myself sick with worry. Several tests later, no problems and I'm fine. That was a year ago. I'm still in menopause, and was then. The doctor said we secrete estrogen from places other than our ovaries. And I probably just had a surge. I felt a lot of stress at that time so I do think that had something to do with it. Definitely see the doctor. But know that what happened to you happened to me and I'm perfectly fine. The worry was horrible! So stop Googling and take it from one who's been there.
    • Posted

Yes, you are right. In the end, driving yourself crazy isn't going to change anything anyway, and it isn't helping! Thank you so much Becky!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.