Postnatal depression

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had my baby 7 weeks ago and been diagnosed with postnatal depression. I'm so scared of my own child and every time she makes any noise it sends me in to a panic. I am taking 75mg pregabalin 3 times a day and 50mg of quitiapin at night as I was hearing voices. I also have diazepam for emergency. I'm really struggling and I can't do this anymore.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi cakey7,

Although I am male, my wife, suffered post natal depression with our second child and therefore feel for you at this time. It is very important that you keep seeking help and support from your gp and inform them of any changes while on these meds . Always remember that you are not unique with pnd and relief is possible, having a child is a very blessed thing and it is a terrible shame that you are suffering and cannot fully appreciate your baby.

Very best wishes to you both,

Mike.

• Posted

Hello Mike thank you for replying. May I ask as the husband how did you cope? I'm worried about my husband as I have good days and bad days but he can't understand how I'm ok one minute and not the next. Also how long did your wife suffer? I just want to feel better.

• Posted

Hi cakey 7 ,

It can be a difficult time for the partner as well, some can feel "left out", as all attention goes on the new baby.

If your husband cannot understand your situation and mood swings then perhaps you should both attend your gp  together so that they can advise your husband of just what exactly is happening to you as your body and brain adjust after giving birth.

Mutual understanding, not centering on an argument, being aware of both parties feelings are all things to consider.

Mike.

• Posted

He has said he feels left out but now he is feeling very hopeless and helpless which I feel to. He keeps trying to get me to do things like baby groups and I really have tried but now I just feel run down and want to hide away but I can't cuz of the baby. The last two days have almost changed from anxiety to server depression as I just wanna die as no one seems to want to help.

• Posted

Hi,

Okay, your feeling very down, unfortunately there is very little "me time" where baby is concerned. Are there no relatives locally where you could get some help. Even a couple of hours a day would do you both good. These first few months are the worst as baby needs 24/7 attention, when old enough to go on solid foods things will get better.

Please seek further help from your gp,  don't go through this difficult period on your own, you can't,  and you don't have to.

Keep writing on this site, keep us up to date,

Mike.

• Posted

Hello Mike,

I often spend a lot of time at my parents as I don't like being alone with baby in my house. Unfortunately due to some issue dating a while back baby isn't allowed to be in their house with out me. Husband doesn't like asking his family to help. I am under the perinatal team and told my key worker about how I'm feeling and he has recommended a mother and baby unit however when I talked to husband about it he flipped as he doesn't want to be parted from baby. I feel like I need to be in some where to get my medication sorted but I don't want to ruin my marriage.

• Posted

Hi cakey7, 

I think that asking for help seems to make your husband feel somehow a failure. He is not of course, we all need help somewhere in our lives. However if he won't ask his family for help, won't seek help from a professional and  knows your finding it difficult to cope what does he suggest that would be agreeable to you both. This is a short term blip in your relationship and things should get better over time. Don't rush into anything.

Mike.

• Posted

I think your right as when he was very upset about the mother and baby unit he was just repeating we aren't bad parents. I tried comforting him but he was so upset. The thing is and I understand where he is coming from is of I go in somewhere with baby then his bonding will be affected which is the reason the professionals are giving for me not to go in alone is that my bonding will be affected.

Husband thinks I can do it without hospital but the last time I was given anti depressants and not monitored I got very very poorly. This has scared me very badly now. I just want to feel better and I don't care how it's done now (although I do refuse to be in over christmas).

• Posted

Hi cakey7,  

I am on 40mg fluorine for anxiety and depression and have been for a couple of years now, my gp keeps in contact with me, I was on sertraline but they made me feel worse. Get your gp  to sort out which is best for you and go back if they make you worse.

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.