Posts op day 12 Sharing a bed!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys day 12 post op so far so good, pain pretty much under control mobility improving daily bend quite good straightening not so fab but getting there. My partner has been on nights for 7 weeks back in day shift now,

2nd night back on our bed, turned caught my knee OMG pain 😓😓any suggestions other than separate beds?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Freestork

What i did was firstly I slept with on the right side of the bed (right knee TKR), but also I put pillows alongside myself between my husband & me, one for my arm to rest on & one to protect my knee, so encroachment was more difficult! Also as I couldn't sleep on my side I put a pillow on the left side, a bit cocooned but effective! Of course as it was coming up to November it was nice & cosy too!!

I think also he was aware of the pillow & therefore a bit more careful.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Sorry got that wrong!😏😏😏 The other pillow went on the right side! With the 2 pillows on the left!

🙂

XX

• Posted

I slept alone for the first month! Now we have a big pillow to the side of me, which keeps his legs well away from mine!
  • Posted

Aha - NOW I see why my hospital said you should sleep on the side of the bed of the knee that has been done for six weeks!  Maybe that's why?  Is your operated knee closest to your husband?  If so, swap sides for a few weeks.

My husband was SO careful not to come anywhere close to where knees might be for weeks and weeks, even if I slept on the right side (he was on the right side of the bed) with the operated knee sticking out towards him.  Bless him - he'd hang on to the edge of the bed, in case he knocked it!  But they can't help what they do in their sleep!

• Posted

Lol Chris, I sleep on left hand side and it's my left leg that's had the TKR I think I'd turned into my right and he'd managed to clip me. I wil definitely use a couple of pillows as a buffer zone and hope it helps.

• Posted

Ah - I couldn't sleep comfortably on the opposite side for a few weeks, so wasn't so at risk at that point.  I was just talking to my husband about it and he said what a good idea about the pillows.  The only thing is, our bed is 4.6" so there's not that much room - need a 5' bed!  Or bigger:-))))))  But I might just try pillows anyway because he's complaining about swapping sided.  Even a towel rolled up would act as a reminder not to invade my space LOL!  Mmm - thanks for the idea!

• Posted

As my op leg is super sensitive and cqn't take even covers touching it, I bought a bed cage to keep the duvet off - fantastic really calmed knee down, but also put a long tube type cushion along side of me so also keeps a separation from partner, or covers falling on leg from his side of bed. Not had any problem. But one night I got up to go to bathroom and forgot I had TKR as half asleep and jumped out of bed jarring the knee--- ouch!

• Posted

I'm 13 weeks out now, my first 5 weeks I had to sleep in our recliner. I just could not get comfortable in the bed, after 15 min in the bed I was in so much pain. Well these last 8 weeks have been good. My husband and I had to trade sides as it was my left knee that I had done. We, like the others, have a pillow in between us, which really helps. Also I have a pillow underneath my feet. If he touches those pillows he knows he's getting to close. Lol. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm 13 weeks out now, my first 5 weeks I had to sleep in our recliner. I just could not get comfortable in the bed, after 15 min in the bed I was in so much pain. Well these last 8 weeks have been good. My husband and I had to trade sides as it was my left knee that I had done. We, like the others, have a pillow in between us, which really helps. Also I have a pillow underneath my feet. If he touches those pillows he knows he's getting to close. Lol. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi im 12 weeks post op and i still have pillow between myself and hubby he's away for work mon/fri so im lucky to have bed to myself but the first few weekends he was in other room as i was to scared incase he touched my knee and then when he was aloud back in bed biggrin we swapped sides as i couldin't lift my operated leg up at my usual end of bed for quite a while,i must say though you sound as if you'r doing really well very quickly well done x

• Posted

Thanks Victoria think I'm very lucky to be honest. I've had no trouble sleeping wake the odd time to two to pop to toilet or if I stiffen up but go straight back off. Each day seems to bring improvements so onwards and upwards

• Posted

Hi freestork, I am sleeping in a seperate room as specially in the early days ( nights) I was up & walking @ the room & icing I just didn't sleep, & at 4 months am only just improving.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.