Potential Reflux issues?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everybody,

I posted about a swallowing issue I've been living with for multiple months about 2 weeks ago. I was awaiting doctors results and wasn't sure what to do as I was feeling symptoms of anxiety. To save you all from an extremely long story, in short, I've been having trouble swallowing any type of solids for the past 3 months. When I force these solids down I get extreme shortness of breath and I feel as if my throat closes off.

Upon review of my Barium swallow test and thyroid ultrasound, nothing was found on the swallow test but they did confirm a cyst on my thyroid. When I brought this up to the ENT he said this had nothing to do with swallowing issues but upon a nasal endoscopy he found I had an extremely bad sinus infection that could require surgery. He also found some acid on the back of my tongue which may or may not point to acid reflux. 

He put me on amoxicillin / 1x 60mg dexilant / 300 mg 2x daily ranitidin / 1 2x daily prednisone for breathing issues. 

I stopped taking the rantidine as I was waking up in the middle of the night with severe back and chest pains that made it impossible to sleep. (I'm not sure if this is a side effect that goes away with time but it was painful). I've always been waking up every day with an extremely dry throat which further irritates things. 

The problem I have now is before I started getting these tests, the only problem I had (albeit a big one) was not being able to swallow properly. 2 weeks later and my throat is always on fire, I constantly have pressure right beneath my adams apple and I am constantly burping. I can't even enjoy semi spicy foods like Takis now without the feeling of mucus just flooding my throat and making it hard to breathe.

I have a CT scan scheduled for next week to check my sinuses so I'm hoping something comes from that but I'm just not sure. I'm still not eating solid foods and I feel like I've been pumping my body full of meds for no reason at all and if anything, it's made things worse.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If I was taking any medication that made matters worse I would stop taking them 
  • Posted

Hi there, 

Sorry to hear about your problems.

The steroids you’ve been taking have so many side effects! You need to taper them off slowly - 12 a day is an incredibly high dose! 

• Posted

Hi there.

Sorry ure feeling so ill.

All that is a real pain.

It takes long time to settle reflux should it be the case.

If u have an ifection u certainly should take the meds.

Definatelly tell them that u cannot swallow solids.

For now go on low acid food in soup or paste consistencies. Drink luke warm liquids.

Let us know how u getting on.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi , I had the same symptoms . i was immediately scheduled for surgery with a gastroenterologist . through endoscopic surgery the surgeon stretched my esophogous [ spelling] . i also have barrets esophogous. All better after the surgery . I do take Dexilant for acid - reflux .I hope you get a 2nd opinion . I think the doctors that r treating you should have considered this . My case was considered an emergency, as should yours .

I hope you find a speedy solution for this .

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.