Potential surgery needed- beyond anxious.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Some basics: I'm female and 19 years old- previously overweight but losing currently. I'm almost 40lb down since September. I need to lose another 40lb to get down to a healthy weight. (209lb started, 172lb currently, and I'm 5'3.)

So.. after having unexplained, unbearable, searing pain under my right rib for almost a year, my doctor finally has refered me to an ultrasound to check for gallstones. I've come home and done some research, and I finally understand what this horrible pain is- a gallstone attack. Everyone told me I was being dramatic, that it was 'period pain', but I always knew they were wrong.

I'm facing the prospect of surgery and I'm so anxious I had a panic attack coming out from the meeting with my doctor. I'm only 19- I'm not even twenty yet, and I've never had surgery in my life. I don't want surgery! If I was 40, 50, then I would be more open to it. But I'm not even twenty and I'm being told I need to have one of my organs taken out. 

I've read that people cannot eat certain foods after, or that doing so causes them great pain and causes them to run to the toilet in seconds. I have plans- I have friends in every single inch of this world, I'm going to travel and see every last one of them, I'm going to eat every world food I can get my hands on and live my life to the fullest.

But now I feel like I won't be able to do that. Now I'll have to limit myself. I'll be known as the person who can't eat certain foods, who needs people to make special exceptions for them. Hell, it sounds like I won't even be able to eat a McDonalds or a KFC after this!

And what if I don't even wake up from the surgery? What if the doctor messes up, damages my insides, and I have to have further surgery?

To be brazen and blunt; I am mentally ill. I have severe depression, OCD, anxiety and a handful of personality and sensory disorders. I already struggle to manage my ambitious dreams around this. Now I feel like I have another hurdle thrown into the mix. And I'm not even twenty yet.

I'm sorry for this long post. I don't have anyone in my life I can talk to about this. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

BG surgery was my first too. At 19 yrs old I was having terrible chest back and shoulder attackks. It too a long time before X-ray showed there were gallstones in the GB. Once removed no more attacks and I afelt so much better and remained deligent to stay away from fatty food . The GB produces enzymes that break up fatty foods. They are not good for you anyway. The doc RX enzymes pills. But after a few months the body adjusts to the change and slowly adding some junk foods fatty foods .

i was scared and anxious too. I think surgery kinda has that effect on most people. Ask,for medication if needed the day of surgery to help calm u and night before to sleep. 

Get well soon.

Hope xxxxx

• Posted

Congrats on the weight loss. That's awesome. Losing a lot of weight can lead to gallstones and if you're having attacks then yes, surgery is the best path to follow.

Trust me it's better you do it when you're young! It's much harder on you're body if you're older.

I had it a few months ago and although it was just really a couple of days of feeling pretty sore. I eat whatever I want no problem. The surgery is very common and it's very safe. I went in to the hospital in the morning and was back home by 11:00am!

You may feel unlucky but it is what it is. Just another step in getting yourself healthy. Many people would trade their medical problems with yours in a second.

• Posted

Congrats on the weight loss, huge accomplishment! Sticking to low fat foods after the surgery for a couple of weeks while your body adjusts to its new normal may be the only limitation you ever have. Be extra kind to yourself after surgery and truly stick to low fat while your body ajusts.
  • Posted

Just a few points I learned from this experience:

1. You're lucky it is gallstones and not something deadly serious like cancer. This is a good thing.

2. The surgery is the easiest thing you'll ever do, You won't even know it happened until afterwards. This is also a good thing.

3. After surgery, your gallstone related pain will be gone and you can eat whatever you want. And this is an even better thing.

4. If you have other digestion issues, then you'll still have those issues. That will suck, but it isnt' because of your gallstones.

Note that reading these forums will give you the impression that this is a disaster. It isn't. Don't be your own worst enemy. Look forward to having no more pain and eating a normal diet.

p.s. the staff in hospital will take care of you very well, so long as you're clear about how you feel. They'll give you things to calm you down. Go with it and good luck. And make sure you come back to fill us in later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.