PPIs dosage query

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

since November I have tried pantoprazole 40 mg at breakfast , ranitidine 300 mg twice daily and now back to pantoprazole 20 mg morning and night. Not sure my doctor has it right still, but he is getting frustrated with me so I am trying to stay calm while I wait for my hospital appointment (up to 3 months).

digestive enzymes have cured my burping and back pain problem but not my heartburn/ chest/ throat pain which I get intermittently throughout the day. Wondering if I should try a higher dose say 40mg morning and 20mg at night? Anyone take this higher a dose? I tried taking ranitidine 300mg as well but didn't seem to help.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You really need to talk to your doctor, tough if he does not like it. They

Are there to help you. If you have more Than one in the practice then see a different doctor.

• Posted

Keep thinking I should change doctors because I have lost faith in mine, but seems more difficult to have to start agin with someone else and I don't even know where tto start looking for a new doctor.

Been to A and E at Public Hospital and there they at least arranged an ultrasound of my stomach, liver pancreas and gallbladder. All results were good, no problems detected. Then just sent me away with painkillers which I don't think are the answer. Desperate to find an answer or at least know I am taking the right medication

• Posted

Hello janine I have the problem I was taking lansoprazole which I couldn't take now I am on ranitidine which I take twice a day but I have to take it for a month had chest X-ray tummy scan but all came back normal still suffering with heartburn just wish I could feel better
    • Posted

Hi Julie, yes very frustrating. I had a Chest X-ray at hospital too. Again nothing, we're looking for hiatus hernia but didn't find one. I think that my LES maybe is just so relaxed that acid just seeps up all the time no matter what I take! Pain isn't excruciating just mild and nearly always there
  • Posted

Hi Janine, I read recently that the problem with PPIs is the assumption that getting rid of stomach acid is good, when in fact it might to be. In my quest and search for some relief I tried an old home remedy that helped. Albeit, the results are temporary, but it really does help (a little). Drinking 1 tablespoon organic vinegar in 6 ounces of water actually helped, until I found probiotics which CURED me completely. You can try drinking the vinegar water if you want, it brought short term relief. But, like I said probiotics from the refrigerator section of a health food store (a 50 Billion live culture capsule once a day) cured me completely. I wish you well. smile
    • Posted

Janine...oops typo in my first sentence. "Getting rid of stomach acid is good, when in fact it might NOT BE."
    • Posted

I started my LPR problem after I was given Lisinopril and a duretic for high BP. I was then given Laronzeprole and a Beconase spray as I developed a terrible cough. The only time I stopped coughing was when lying down in bed on left hand side mostly. However, I recently found relief by drinking flat zero cola which made me think I needed more acid, not less. Have not taken the PPI meds for two weeks and am a helluva lot better for it. I eat very small portions of good now and drink one can of flat cola per day and yeah, feel great.
    • Posted

Hi Jenny,

lI've tried Apple cider vinegar a few times and it keeps giving me a stomach ache.

tried probiotics in yoghurt gave me a stomach ache too but several hours later. Thought maybe it's just the yoghurt and am yet to try them in pill form.

have been on digestive enzymes and they have been marvellous. Cured my burping and associated back pain.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up