Pre-knee op. advice sought

Posted , 22 users are following.

My prospective surgeon has told me that after my booked full knee replacement I won't ever be able to kneel again on the replacement artificial joint, & the operation is really only designed as a 'pain-relieving measure' & not a restoration of the walking mobility I had before the cartilage went.

Can any1 who has had this operation confirm their experiences along these lines please?

1 like, 83 replies

83 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Iwas just told that I have bone on bone and need knee  replacement but it will be a year wait list.

but I can get Cortizone shot to help with the pain 

any one had this shot and does it work and for how long

• Posted

Hi Bosco,

I knew I need replacement too. My surgeon advised getting the shots until they don't work anymore. They did work for me for awhile. Then they got to a point where I literally didn't get a ween if relief, so I opted for the surgery. I definitely think they are worth a try.

Good luck

Joyce

• Posted

no good for me see my post on these useless injections plus you cant have TNR for at least 6 months after having one of these shots 
    • Posted

I had a cortizone shot 3 weeks ago - I have less pain on the right hand side of my knee but no relief on the left but pain has now come back on the right hand side. I thought it was worth a try although I wont have another one.
    • Posted

I had my TNR 6 weeks after a cortisone shot. No ill effects. The same with my hips and shoulders,..I think each surgeon has different ideas.
    • Posted

see my post on this -it did not work for me in fact made it worse plus I had a £520 bill to pay as NHS waiting list is 6-9 months

jude UK

• Posted

Is TNR the same as TKR?  I thought TNR was trap, neuter and return!  (control of cat population)Hope you didn't have that.razz 
    • Posted

Love your sense of humour lol  I"ve seen both TNR and TKR and never gave it a thought til I read your post...
  • Posted

Hi AB,

I had a bilateral tkr 7 mo ago. I am 57 years old. My function with my knees is so far superior to before my surgery....and I am still healing! I still have some stiffness and mild pain at times. Last week I went on a 4 1/2 mike hike....not a nice little trail. I can sit cross legged again...couldn't for the year before my surgery. Oh and yes, I can kneel again. Now it feels weird because the sensation around the scars is not normal yet. My surgeon says kneeling will not hurt the prosthesis. By the way, I would Look for another surgeon who is more confident in his work and one that you could have more confidence in. He sounds very negative. Don't get me wrong , it is a very difficult surgery and recovery...but in general most of us get not just pain relief but improved function.

Good luck

Joyce

• Posted

AB, I have had cortizone injections before my knees became incredibly bad and they did help quite a bit. It's not too bad getting them, more pressure than anything.

My Dr told me to remember that replacements can't replicate the knees we were born with but I told him I don't remember having them any ways.

I am 6 weeks post op left TKR today, completely pain free, climbing stairs, and slowly beginning to walk the neighborhood. I don't know about kneeling yet (although I've heard some say they couldn't), but I think I'll wait til I'm sure I can get off the floor again!

I have absolutely no regrets. I'm ready to have my right one done in Jan and even if it's a slower recovery it doesn't matter. I'll be able to function again.

Get your legs as strong as you can beforehand, try to lose a few pounds if you need to, work hard on your exercises afterwards and rest inbetween. You'll do great.

• Posted

There must be 2 schools of thought on this one. Some drs say no and others never give any concern to the situation. I've never been able to kneel because of the tenderness but my tkr was the result of a rare tumor. Due to this I have had a long battle a/the knee that others won't expierience, thankfully. Due to staph infection I had to go without a knee for 4 months and then had the 3rd appliance inserted late June. This time the surgeon said no kneeling for 6 months and then he would look at it again. There have been a couple of folks on h e re that started kneelin within weeks of the surgery and had terrible setbacks. You really have to listen to your Dr. As he is the one that has analyzed your tests and knows all the parameters.
  • Posted

Hi,

I would look for another surgeon. I had a knee replacment just

over 9 weeks ago and I am delighted with the results. My

surgeon said that I would need a pad to kneel on but kneeling

would n ot be a problem. Already I have knelt a few times for a

very short period on a gym mat and although it feels weird

because of swelling kneeling does not seem im possible.

I was driving at 4 weeks and regularly walk over 3 miles.

My physio tells me that healing takes at least 3 months so I am still doing lots of exercises but I can now walk distances without pain and feel as if I have my life back again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.