Pre-knee op. advice sought

Posted , 22 users are following.

My prospective surgeon has told me that after my booked full knee replacement I won't ever be able to kneel again on the replacement artificial joint, & the operation is really only designed as a 'pain-relieving measure' & not a restoration of the walking mobility I had before the cartilage went.

Can any1 who has had this operation confirm their experiences along these lines please?

1 like, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

1AB

When I had my initial consultation with my surgeon, he said there would be no guarantees as to the outcome of any TKR. Certainly there would hopefully be pain relief but that mobility would never be like my other good knee, in that I wouldn't be able to bend as much (I was very very supple before). In fact he went on to say that he would rather I didn't stretch my leg back quite as much as my good one because it could dislocate the new joint.

I know of a couple of guys who are 2 yrs PO and they are completely happy with their new knees, feel no pain and can do all the DIY things they couldn't before, with the one exception..............they can't kneel on their new knee. Other than that, they are very satisfied. I at 5 wks PO can only hope I eventually get to such a good position. I wish you well in your future TKR.

• Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago. I can kneel on all fours but will never be able to kneel right back on my haunches. Hope that makes sense.

To me if TKR deals with the pain it is also going to deal with your mobility.

That is certainly how it has worked out for me.

OK my knee is never going to be perfect, accept that, but I think I was alos very fortunate in having an excellent surgeon. I had had previous surgery on my knee which the surgeon who did my TKR had not done so it was a difficult and complicated op but he dealt with it.

If anything went wrong with the knee that has not been replaced I would be straight back to him.

A long hard road to recovery but well worth it in the end.

Hope this helps

Sarah

• Posted

I had TKR 2 months ago, I have gently knelt on my knee 3/4 time to get up from the floor. My Dr said to listen to my knee and other than strenuous running nothing was off limits.

As everyone says the recovery is slow but I am just beginning to see benefits. Prior to this I had a couple of years having steroid injections, each time lasting less than the previous. I was going to Disney a couple of weeks

before my surgery and my consultant gave me the steroid injection to help

me enjoy the holiday.  Good luck  with whatever you decide.

• Posted

hi A.B. ive had both knee s replaced and had one done again (revision) im 13mths post op on revision /your surgeon is right that kneeling is a NO NO im afraid ,even though some here will tell you they can briefly ,but its not recomended . but in saying that you can get used to it though i really miss being able to kneel or even to get down on the floor without having to really think it out . !!! i supose its a matter of getting used to living with your new knee ,if your only getting one done you will still be able to put your good knee to kneel on .good luck with the op
  • Posted

So is that what the surgeon said well I'm going to have mine done on 10/26 let see what happens I will keep you posted ok 
    • Posted

Hi Angie - have just read your message and your op is today.  GOOD LUCK and please keep me posted.   AB
  • Posted

It's been 5 weeks since my surgery I'm in more pain now than I was before my knees swollen I can't stand or barely walk I have been icing it doing the exercises as I can. I am taking Tylenol for the pain. They suggestions on what I should do
    • Posted

First suggestion . tylenol is nowhere near strong enough to deal with this sort of pain. ask for something stronger. . tramadol, cocodamol . . tylenol is for a mild headache!    At five weeks one would have thought you might be in a better place. . I was like hyou up to three weeks, but after that things rapidly improved (have to say it was around the time I forced my unwilling surgeon to give me tramadol!) it makes it so much easier to do the exercises . . . Please ask for something better than Tylenol (paracetamol in Europe)
    • Posted

Tylenol for your pain is the same as a pint of gasoline for a cross country trip.....it isnt going to do the job. Get with your primary care Dr asap and get the right stuff for the job. Once you get pain controlled then you can worry about the excercise. There is a fine line between excercising and abusing yourself. Make sure you are getting plenty of rest as your level of pain is bound to be draining your entire system of its resources. Hydration is one of the keys so drink plenty of water. Don't feel guilty or like you are going to lose ground if you take some time to regroup.
    • Posted

yes i agrree with martinarvelo and ofg ,tylenol for knee replacement is crazy its like putting a sticking plaster on a dam !!! .not sure where your from but here in ireland we go to our own gp for pain managment , like many on here when i left hospital i didnt get much help with pain just a short perscription for paracetamol (tylenol) and a few days of codine that was all i got .my own doctor was great he has to be ,you need a good relationship with him he gave me anti inflamatorys and zidol 200 slow release for pain it made such a difference ,you need all the help you can get go see what ever is the equivelent in your country .you will be able to walk,excersise &sleep alot better in this day and age NOBODY should suffer when there is no need good luck to you let us know how you get on ,just remember this is a major op you have just had
  • Posted

OFG, you are wise as always. We should all be so caring and patient.
  • Posted

I can kneel for short periods, if I'm on a soft surface or using some kind of kneeling pad...feels strange though. Never heard of TKR as being only a 'pain-relieving measure'...the only thing my surgeon said is I might not have the same bend in my replaced knee as I have in the other knee. Which so far is true...my bend is about 123-124 degrees. I have total straightening.  I'm 25 weeks out from my TNR and I'm still trying for a 130 degree bend. No problem walking but going down stairs is still a bit of a problem but getting better each day. They weren't kidding when they said this would take up to a year to get back to 'normal.'  My doctor mentioned several things he said he wouldn't recommend, like jogging, twisting on the replaced knee, and sports that tend to be hard on the knees.
    • Posted

That should be TKR nor TNR...it's late and it's been a long day...LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.