Pre op

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi again,

You were all so good helping me put a list of things I need to do before my TKR.

I searched the forum looking for any ideas on what the actual pre op assesment entails but can't see anything.

I know it varies from hospital to hospital and Consutant to Consultant buy wondered just what does happen?

I think bloods and medical exam to determine you are fit pre operatively but is there anything specific to TKR's I should be aware of?

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question.

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi daisy I had tkr in may and the pre op consisted of height/weight blood test ecg and mrsa swabs then questions on medical history and what meds you onthe op is he best thing iv ever done can walk pain free and was back to work and gym after 12 week I'm 58 and will have other knee done next yr as that is going too but not as bad as first knee yet so just having cortisone injections for 12 month as I don't want to take more time off work just yet x good luck with your journey and hope it goes smoothly xxx linda
    • Posted

Thanks Linda.

Hope I can do as much as you did 12 weeks post-op!

Bloods/height/weight/ECG/MRSA screening and medical and pharmacological history is exactly what I would expect.

Looking forward to being pain free biggrin

• Posted

Daisymay I am relatively new to this board. I have my surgery this coming Thursday and was wondering what things were needed pre surgery? I have a rented walker, cane and raised toilet seat but that is it so far. I am in Canada and the Red Cross is so helpful with equipment
    • Posted

Thanks so much I will check it out right away. Good luck with your surgery. I will be thinking about you😀
    • Posted

Good luck Bev for Thursday biggrin

I'm sure all will go well and I will be thinking of you!  biggrin

• Posted

Thanks it is what it is and what comes will have to be delt with. One day at a time or as I read in these posts sometimes one minute at a time. Ha ha ha we can do it 🌹
    • Posted

I haven't seen anyone mention a large cross body bag . . it's really useful for carrying small things in the first couple of weeks . . believe me, it's really difficult if you are using two crutches.  I had to resort to my teeth on several occasions but that doesn't work for everything!  Try to remove loose rugs, and be careful with carpets too . . it's easy to trip over the edge of them. 
  • Posted

As you probably already know, all those test pre-op are to make sure you are ready for the knee surgery and the surgeon won't have any unnecessary surprises and is ready for them if any should happen. I had a TKR in late Arpil and went through all that wondering what it was all for. Post-op, they came in about every time I turned around to take more blood to test. They want to make sure nothing out of the ordinary is going on. I ended up feeling like a pin cushion...lol.  One thing they didn't tell me was that the opiode pain meds they give, can 'tie you up'. They did have some kind of laxative pill for me to take, but I didn't. They didn't tell me what it was for or that the pain meds would constipate me. So if they have them for you take them. I was 10 days home before I could poop again...not fun. They get you up and out of bed ASAP. This helps lessen the chance of blood clots and also keeps you from getting too stiff. They want to make sure you can geta round with a walker or crutches on your own before they send you home.
  • Posted

Sorry I had TKR 3 years ago so I really can't remember.

The only thing I do remember is they booked me in for pre op on Friday and op on Tuesday with a Bank Holiday in between.

When I realised this I rang them and they said

"Oh that's no good because the results of the pre op won't be through by Tuesday. We'd better try and fit you in earlier for pre op!!"

So that is what they did.

I don't know what would have happened if I had not rung them and queried it?!!

• Posted

Yay just received phone call from hospital and pre op booked for 18th December! So all systems go! What's betting the op will take place Christmas week anyone? The sooner the better so I can get on with my plans!

Thank you to everyone who replied on my thread! biggrin

• Posted

Just be sure and tell them everyone especially the surgeon and anestithist get a pre surgery breathilizer and If need be written documentation they all got at ke a t 3 hrs sleep after last nights Christmas partying. Two can play that pre op testing game. Good luck and advise family you won't be doing holiday meals. Sometimes they think its business as usual and this little old surgery is no reason to change the routine. Good luck and enjoy the holidays as best you can. At least you know what to put on your wish list for Christmas.......pain pills. Big quantities and they dont even have to gift wrap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.