Pre-op in 10 days

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi there.  I am awaiting a TKR on my left knee.  21 months ago after many problems I had a neurosurgery operation (laminectomy and discectomy) on my spine.   Much improved after this though still have spinal stenosis.   I was on a back forum then and found it very helpful and still view some people as friends.  So I am here before we start.

First of all I am puzzled by my pre op which apparently lasts three months (I had thought it had to be a couple of weeks before).  Apparently however that is right and I will probably have my op in August as away on holiday in July.

It would appear from reading these posts over the last month that neurosurgery carries far greater risks it is a piece of cake compared with TKR,

Something I don't really understand reading on here is that physiotherapy is very patchy.  I had assumed it would be a given like after my neurosurgery.

The other thing that is worrying me a bit is that we may have moved house before this or duiring recovery.   Surgeon unconcerned and says he does not care where I live if i am prepared to travel.  I am because if our flat does not sell quickly it could be ages before the move and currently in a first floor flat minus lift.   The thing I want to ask everyone is how did you find the journey home.   This will mean I have a two hour journey which is the downside.

Thanks

Angela

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It rather depends on how soon they discharge you.  I had a rather slow start, and when they discharged me at nine days i was still really unable to walk or climb stairs.  Most people are much quicker at this. Some people walk by day two, and climb a few steps by day three.  I found travelling by car not easy, although I did have the whole back seat to myself.  Even so I was unable to bend the knee much so it was a bit of tight squeez.e  It was about an hour and ghree quarters from the hospital to the house.  If you are still in the first floor flat with stairs, I should make this VERY clear to the hospital, and insist they don't chuck you out until you are able to climb, albeit one step at a time, otherwise it's going to be very difficult to get into your home!  I have five steps up to the front door and found it very difficult . . but as I say, I was a lot slower than most people due to a lot of swelling and nerve damage.  Make sure you put a couple of pillows in the back seat of the car, so you can prop yourself up comfortably, and perhaps keep your operated knee up on the  seat . . . hope it's a four door car???  Otherwise, it will be the front seat pushed all the way back to give you as much room as possible to stretch your leg.  Hope it all goes well for you.  It does seem a long time from the pre op to the operation!
    • Posted

Thank you Martin for your help and suggestions.  I feel much better now that I am a member of the board with all the help that implies
    • Posted

Angela,  I asked the consultants sec to go on a cancellation list and I had my op 4 weeks earlier due to a cancellation..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.