Prednisolone

Posted , 10 users are following.

my mum has been taking prednisolone tablets for 2 weeks and complains that her vision is getting blurry.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I presume she's been diagnosed with PMR and/or GCA?

What dose is she on?

I remember in the early days I had a few issues with blurry vision.

• Posted

I found at higher doses of Pred my vision tended to be blurry especially about 3-4 hours after taking it -  but it has improved dramatically for me under 25mg. 

• Posted

On Prednisone for GCA. Eyes were dry, trying to blink tears made them blurry. Artificial tear drops are very good. Hope your Mum will feel better after.
  • Posted

That is one of the listed side effects of Predinisone, but I would still be checked by an opthamologist.

Good luck!

• Posted

A bit more detail would be helpful - is it PMR or GCA she has? What sort of dose is she on? What are her symptoms? 
    • Posted

But what dose? 

Pred can affect vision - but so can PMR if it is accompanied by dry eyes. Does your mother find her eyes are also a bit itchy and do they stream tears at times? The second in particular is a sign of dry eye - the normal viscous tears aren't being produced properly so the eye produces a lot of thin tears to try to make up - and there are ways of improving that. 

• Posted

That is high enough to cause blurry vision - but it should always be checked with at least an optometrist.
  • Posted

Hi Kari - I too had slightly blurry vision and my eyes felt a bit sore. I use a spray for dry eyes that you can keep for six months - you spray it on closed lids and get it in any chemist. As I adjusted to pred and dropped the dosage when the GP said I could, the eyes improved. I also take a tablet combining luteine, bilberry and ginco - checked first with my optician and GP as they need to know everything you take when on pred. You would need to check with all the above with your own GP and ooptician. Hope this helps. Good luck and glad your Mum is being well looked after by you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.