Pregabalin - Anyone been prescribed it ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone taken this medication , i was prescribed it today by my psychiatrist as i have problems with social anxiety for quite a while now and has been getting worse since a panic attack i had at my local Community Mental Health Team Centre last Augsut , the psychiatrist told me that one side effect , symptom was feeling like one just had a glass of wine - light headed but that no major problems were connected with the medication .

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Maria, my daughter had severe social anxiety and was prescribed quite a few meds, including pregabalin.

She founf it the most helpful of all of them - and her anxiety had been going on for years = years I'd rather forget, but as a closee family, we all did our bit to help her.

Do remember that the side-effects of this medication can make you feel worse for a couple of weeks before you feel real benefit from the pregabalin.

All happiness and strength to you, MARIA!  We'll be thinking of you. Love Tess

• Posted

Cool ,  thanks Tess , my social anxiety came really about when i was told to go to a Work Programme back in November 2012 , finished it in November 2014 but by that time the damage had been done ( bullying by one of the advisors there - not even mine just a nasty bitch who had it in for me ) and i was referred to my local CMHT , but prior to that i was okay as i could choose where i wanted to go , who i went with , etc i       was on incapacity benefit but then changes came in and i was put on JSA , so my depression went downhill fast along with my anxiety going up so after having a useless pyschiatrist ( old  school ) he then moved elsewhere i now have a lovely lady who is more laid back , has a relaxed feeling in the room which helps my anxiety as i still don't like going to the centre because of bad feelings ( the other Doctor , etc ) and she sent me a leaflet earlier in the year about the medication which i showed my GP who agreed it was a good one but then it was forgotten until i saw her today and anxiety came up -i had some questionaires to fill out last appointment to see if i had  Aspergers due to me not feeling at ease with new people , entering a place  i  don't know , etc but because i care alot for others it was decided no to Aspergers but yes to Social Anxiety so she decided to give me 7 days of this tablet but wanted to make sure i had people around me this weekend which i shall as will be out with my Dad , shall get the prescription from Boots in the morning then take at lunchtime - 3 times a day to see how i go and she said it will work okay at night with my Mirtazapine and Promethazine - both to help me sleep and Venlafaxine in the morning , i am also on Warfarin at night time , Omeprazole and Lipitor in the morning so quite a mixture confused? , you always give good advice Tess as i come on these forums each day but though i cannot always advise myself i do like to see what others have to say if i see a discussion that i can relate to , my friends are always telling me i am strong but don't always see it myself but then i have come through a few Od's and my family are supportive , but i live alone with my dear cat as i do also like my own company - don't have to worry if i don't feel up to getting out of bed , etc , Take Care Tess , have a good weekend xx

• Posted

Thanks, Maria! I hope  that you anda your family have a great one, too.

Remember, if you need advice, or  just someone to talk to, I'm always  around.         Love Tess xx

• Posted

Will do , have my elderly parents nearby , my brother and sister in law live overseas but i am always in their thoughts , nephew lives away in Ipswich , my best friends also live away but i have other friends around here , i am one of the lucky ones who has a support worker , Art Therapist part time , Psychiatrist and a gentleman who comes out to see me - check on me , take away any tablets i have stocked piled , etc , so i don't have to go the centre but he collects me to take me to see the psychiatrist at the CMHT centre , sadly there are many out there who don't have good local NHS mental health support and i feel for them , there should be at least a small choice of offers like CBT ( i am not good at that as i can put on paper how i feel rather then verbally express myself ) , Art Therapy , One to One support , etc xxx

• Posted

what dose was it, as I am on 200mg and its had no effect on anxiety of back pain.
    • Posted

I was on 3 x 50mg tablet - take 50mg morning , 50mg afternoon ,50mg evening but i stopped taking them yesterday as i only had a week's supply and when i contacted the gentleman who oversee's my care at the local Community Mental Health Centre on Monday via email ( we always exchange emails as i have a phone phobia ) he never got back to me so i saw little point in carrying on with them if i was only going to be given 7 days worth so yesterday i stopped taking them - they did make me very drowsy like the pharmacist at my local Boots mentioned .

• Posted

Yes , had to have afternoon sleep the last couple of afternoons but no point in taking the last few tablets if i am not going to be given more to carry on following weeks with .
    • Posted

they usually make eople sleepy and also increase appetite, whicih is useful for elderly patients with dementia who are anxious and not eating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.