Pregablin in UK for anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, is anyone here taking Pregablin in the UK to help with GAD?

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I take pregab and have done so for over a year to date.

Is there anything i can help you with?

Regrds.

YOD

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Just didnt think the doc's in UK were too keen to prescirbe it for GAD due to cost.

What do you take it for, and how have you got on with it?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well, that is a very long & painfull story my friend.22 years, to be precise.

But i won't bore you with the whole lot.

I was struggling with mental state & was teetering on the edge of my cliff when i got a lucky break. I got to see another doc who having heard my story, & seen me shed tears all over his office carpet, told me about a drug that works very well for general anxiety & whats called Neuro-pathic pain ( basically, i've got some sort of nerve damage & all day long i got a seering pain run right in & around my brain like being electrified & belted with small traces of electricity). I got pregab precribed just over a year ago & it's turned it off,like turning a light out or a tap off. To me it's been ABSOLUTE MAGIC smile You may know this or you may not, but pregab is an anti-epilepsy drug too & is used for a number of conditions. I was told that it isn't really used much for anxiety but as my anxiety was prob caused by the head/nerve pain i was getting, i said to him that treating the head pain would kill the anxiety, which i must say it has. it has reduced it all by 90%.I tried to get my two previous psych's bosses to acknowledge they got it wrong.They won't.No honour left in some.

I am on the maximum dose of 600mg( 4x 150mg) but each pill has a very short acting effect & some days i take more than 600. i still worry about taking these long term though, but it's an acceptable trade off.

Regards.

YOD

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've read about them, saying they are good for GAD when anti depressants have failed, but think it is a last resort due to cost. I can understand that, butI've tried various ant depressants and hadto real relief. I am in bad place again and would love my doc to suggest these. Last time i mentioned it he poo poo'd it.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Then tell him again.And this time you might want to insist you try them.

Aproach him with the cost of him poo pooing it, long term.If that fails i strongly advise you to DUMP him and get another doc(if that's possible where you live) The only way i broke the insane loop they trapped me in was to change my doc.I got that advice quietly in my ear so to speak.

Having read the post by deirdre saying it helps her son, it is evident doc say and treat people differently as i was told it didn't help with anxiety.Clearly it does.

Insist on trying it.Otherwise change your doc or find a doc that will.

Best to you.

Regards.

YOD.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi to all on here...I have been on pregabalin at the highest dose for many. Many years for spinal pain relief....brilliant...one of my sons has also been on it for many years also. ( at my request. ) for anxiety..it has helped him enormously...we live in the UK..and have never had a problem at all...all five of us in my family are on at least. Nine different medications each....our Dr occasionally turns a little pale with horror ( only joking. )

.we are very lucky....regards and much good luck...and...good health to you...DEE .xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi. Yes I take pregablin at the max dose, 3 X 200mg daily. It doesn't completely eliminate my GAD, but it takes the edge off enough to get me through the day.

However I also have schizophrenia and depression, so this complicates my GAD issues somewhat. I also take other meds for these other conditions.

It's my psychiatrist who prescribes all my meds now, or at least it has been for the last 18 months since my GP referred me on due to the onset of schizophrenia.

I never had Pregablin from my GP, but it was never needed at that time when she was handling my depression meds.

I can't see this being a problem for you to get if you have exhausted other avenues. And as others have said, you absolutely have the right to try it if you have the relevant symptoms.

Best of luck.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks, If the upped dose of escitlaopram i got today doesnt work i will be more forecfull in asking for it
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up