Pregnancy AFTER embolization (UFE/UAE)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello -

I'm interested in hearing from ladies who have successfully had a successful pregancy after having the embolization procedure done to shrink your fibroids. Is there anyone who can share their experience?

I also have fibroids and I'm still deciding if a embolization (UTE) is right for me as I'm also wanting to have a child soon. I was pregnant before but suffered a miscarriage on account of the fibroids. 

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

I am really interested to hear also. Hope we can get people to share their experience. I had my ufe in Jan 2016 and am 40yrs with no children yet. Dr says I should give it 4months before I start to try for a baby. Hoping to hear people experiences. Thanks.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Just an update: 

My partner and I elected not to have the UTE after all. I just felt that it wasn't the right way to go for me as I'm not one to elect to have any sort of surgery if its not really warranted. My fibroids -- the largest being around 5cm or so -- did not cause me any pain or heavy periods, they were just there, that's it. My main reason for considering UTE in the first place was to shrink my fibroids in order for my partner and I to get pregnant as we were under the impression that perhaps they caused our first prengnancy to result in a miscarriage. Hence, the desire to shrink them. But, I am happy to report that we chose to do NOTHING in terms of tackling the fibroids (after doing extensive research on UTE) and instead just tried to get pregnant, which we did fairly quickly.  We were able to welcome our little baby girl into the world in January 2017 and she was over full term at 41 weeks. My largest fibroid grew to about 7cm during the pregnancy, and resulted in extensive bleeding after giving birth that I had to get a blood transfusion. Overall, it was a very pleasant pregnancy and delivery.

Just wanted to share this with other ladies who are considering UTE and its impact on pregnancy. Sometimes it helps to not do anything after weighing all the pros and cons. Good luck to all. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up