Premenstrual dysphoric disorder/depression & anxiety: first day taking Sertraline -HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I suffer with Premenstrual dysphoric disorder, depression and anxiety.

I came off fluoxetine last year which was tuff but I was still getting very low and me and my doc agreed it wasnt helping my mood, especially when i was due on my period. Ive been doing OK depression Wise since going through the horrible fluoxetine withdrawal. However, every month about 2 weeks before I'm due on i become soooo depressed and suicidal it is actually ruining my life! My doc advised me to go on the pill which I tried but it didn't help much.

I take 25mg of pregabalin for anxiety as and when required (this has become daily over the last week as my depression has been so bad).

Over the last week ive barely left my home, I feel as though everyone I interact with can see how vulnerable and scared I am inside then I panick even more! I feel myself burning up, and literally want the ground to swallow me up! Why does this happen I hate it?

Whenever I'm due on i feel suicidal and unable to cope with life.. a few days ago my doc prescribed sertraline 50 mg daily..

I really don't want to go back down the antidepressants route, but I feel desperate. I just want the depression and anxiety to stop. I've not been to work for a week and usually work keeps me goin and helps me forget, but this week I simply can't face it and this is making me feel even more guilty for not going!

I took half a tablet today and feel very spaced out!

I just need some advice PLEASE. . Does anyone suffer with any of the above and has sertraline helped? So desperate and alone right now :-(

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

omg I was the same, and sertraline has helped me loads. it can make you worse the first 10 days I got suicidal. but I then had Diaz iram to help calm me down. I am soo much nm better now thank God. not 100% but I live and enjoy life, I get my down days and had 2 panick attacks since I stated the meds back in November last year. lots of side affects with sertraline , night sweats insomnia, more anxious, then by week 4 1/2 I felt normal again... well 90% , I could function I started with a quarter of the tablet for 2 days then half for a week, and yeah made me spaced out heavy. I also felt that I was on meds on the 3rd week. but now fine.

I never thought I would ever take antidepresants, and don't like the thought of needing a pill to make my mood normal. but I rather this than the constant anxiety depression and no sleep not eating emptiness that I had.

just take them and ride it out you can do it, you will get better god willing I promise.

• Posted

Hi, had my 76th brirthday yesterday! Hray! I had been on sertaline for 18 years and I do not know why but all of a sudden I fell into a heap I just could not function. I was quite literally ready to die.After some research I stopped taking sertaline and went cold turkey.

The last 5 weeks have been terrible but really no worse than when I was taking it, just different! There were times when I wondered if I should take a pill just to help me along but I resisted.

I am happy to report that after 4 or 5 weeks (memory is not all it should be) I have periods when I am almost human again! I even went to the club and played lawn bowls May play again tomorrow!

So stick with it!

• Posted

so I have been on sertraline 5 months, I'm way too scared to come off them. but I have heard about them stop working after so long, and bad withdrawel symptoms that last forever.
  • Posted

Wow not the best reviews of sertraline. I must admit I am worried about becoming dependant on another antidepressant, after I fought so much to come off the last lot.. but I don't know what my alternative is?! Maybe the contraceptive pill .?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.