Preparing for a haemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

In the great scheme of things, a haemorrhoidectomy is way down the list of serious medical interventions, unless, of course, there are complications.

I’m a fit and healthy 69 year old male who had a haemorrhoidectomy on the 1st March 2017. The operation itself went relatively well and eventually (a month later) healed nicely but the immediate aftermath was a nightmare involving admission to A&E with urine retention and a blocked colon requiring both a catheter and an emergency colon operation. If there was a complication to be had, I got it including a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), post catheter debris in my bladder and colitis. Nearly five months on I’m still having tests and camera up both ends!

On reflection, the problem appeared to be that the trauma of the operation tipped the balance for other things that were happening with my body rather than anything inherently to do with the operation.

My offering to the community is therefore about being prepared for the aftermath of the operation.

1.       Absolutely top of the list – make sure you are not suffering from constipation before the operation. Having a bowel movement after the procedure is not as bad as you might expect UNLESS you’re constipated. You want those movements to glide out, not be forced.

2.       Don’t wait to go to the doctor about your haemorrhoids; they will only get worse and involve a bigger operation. Sort them early.

3.       Get as fit as you can before the operation. Any operation can be a traumatic experience for your body and the aftermath of a haemorrhoidectomy can be particularly painful, being fit helps.

4.       If you don’t have a bidet at home buy a ‘sitz’ bath (no, I didn’t know what one of these was either!). This a ‘portable bidet’ and you can buy them on Amazon for a few pounds/dollars/euros. This allows you to not only wash your backside but provides much needed comfort and relief.

5.       You will probably be told that the first week after the operation is very uncomfortable but you’ll start to feel better from the second week. Maybe for the lucky few, but I’d say clear the decks for a good two weeks.

6.       Maintain as scrupulous hygiene as you can. The period after the operation can be messy as your backside settles down and learns to work in its new configuration!

7.       The aftermath can be very painful. Take the maximum amount of pain killers you can safely take. Remember there are types of pain killers that can be taken with other types of pain killers – ask your doctor for advice.

Finally - The best piece of advice I saw when researching the procedure was the comment that “You will survive!” There were times when I wondered, but here I am pretty well back to normal; You will indeed survive!

Good luck!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm a 60 y/o lady in good physical condition. I'm 8 days post op and its been a horrible 8 days. What I want to know is when did you resume a normal diet?

• Posted

I dropped from 79Kg to 74Kg (about 11 lbs) in the three weeks after my operation due to not eating but that's as much to do with the complications I had rather than the operation.

I’m not a meat eater anyway (fish ok) and I started eating small quatities of 'normal' food virtually straight away after the op. In order to keep things moving so I drank loads of water and took Laxido Orange and/or Movicol sachets prescribed by the doctor, which are ‘bulking fibre’ rather than pure laxatives. I did however find it difficult to get the balance right and eventually gave up on these.

I totally empathise with what you are going through. I’m sure things will start to improve very soon. 

• Posted

There are many different types of bidets available at Amazon and other websites. The prices go from low to high. They make toilet seat bidets that just fit on your existing toilet as a new seat. Also, check out squatty potty which is a great tool for being correctly positioned. They also have a bidet toilet seat and it's a good price. I agree about a sitz bath but the two are very different and serve different purposes. Best of luck to all.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.