Prescribed mirtazapine for tiredness and stress. Not sure if I should take it.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 60 year old male. For the last few years I have suffered from constant daytime tiredness and occasional periods of nausea .The nausea I had been told was probably due to my hernia of the esophagus and I had been taking 15mg lansoprazole daily for many years to combat  acid reflux.

This year the nausea just didn't go away and the tiredness was getting worse. Over the last few months apart from many blood tests, all OK, I have had a gastroscopy, a CT scan and an ultrasound.

These all came back normal. I was surprised when the gastroscopy even said my esophagus was normal. So I have stopped taking lansoprazole.

This week  I saw yet another locum GP at my practice to discuss things. He asked me if I got stressed. Well yes I do, mainly about lack of job security and poverty ! This year has also been bad due to a new neighbour with a "home alone" dog barking for hours, ruining my time in my own house/garden and I was getting into a right state over it.

I told him that I self prescribed modafinil to cope with the tiredness. I am talking about getting up at 7am and by 10 am I  often just have to go back to bed. I then sleep for an hour or so, but feel so tired all day that I can't do anything when I get up again. So after much research I have been taking usually 100mg modafinil about 4 or 5 days a week.

This doctor has prescribed mirtazapine, saying it will help me sleep better and make me feel less stress. I have just read lots of horror stories on this forum about it and at the moment feel there is no way I will take it. I am already about a stone and a half overweight and don't have the strongest will power anyway, but had resolved to lose weight, but from what I have just read, feel like I will just gain weight. That alone wouldn't necessarily stop me from taking it, but I have just read lots of stories about it increasing tiredness and other unpleasant side effects. Does anyone have any really positive things to say about this drug ?

I would welcome any comments from anyone with a similar experience to mine who has taken it.  Mark.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark

Mirtazapine  is meant to be prescribed for major depressive illness although GP's seem to be prescribing it 'Off Label" for other conditions. I would suggest that your problems are directly related to conditions that would cause stress and sleep problems to almost anyone. Could you speak to your Senior GP? I find it a bit worrying that a locus prescribed such a powerful drug for your very understandable symptoms. Maybe you could talk out a lot of your stress with a counsellor ask for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? I think that given its side effects, and the condition it was developed for, Mirtazipine might not be the very best answer to your problems.

I hope that you find a less drastic solution and that the things causing your stress can be addressed in a more practical way - but I am talking from my own experience of stress, from neighbours and how I dealt with it.

Best wishes

Kim

• Posted

Hi Mark,

first of all, this lansoprazole is causing tiredness and nausea (read product data sheet!).

I agree with Kim that you shouldn't take Mirt. I took it for insomnia and it really helped with sleeping but same time daily tiredness was really awful not to mention all the wds after I stopped taking it.

I think you should eat healthy food, more vegetables, fruits, and probiotics for healing your stomach. 

These will help you with tiredness as well.

br

Timo

• Posted

Mirtazapine helped with my chronic insomnia, stress and related depression. Then it packed on 20 pounds and popped my glucose levels. My therapist is wonderful but he, cognitive therapy can't cure my 20 year old business collapse(at the age of 60) and the resulting financial collapse. Still miss the mirtazapine. And the sleep without nightly nightmares. And no, he isn't my first therapist

• Posted

Hello Marie

You don't seem happy with the Mitrazepam - the effect on your weight and glucose levels. As for your therapist  I'm glad you have positive feelings about him but of course CBT won't solve the events of the past but may be able to show you ways to move on.

I wish you all the very best. Maybe you could get some financial advice as well.

You, too, have life problems that require more focussed, practical help than drugs can really give. That is something that CBT can help you with - alongside practical help with your finances from someone at The Citizen's Advice  Bureau.

Good Luck

Kim

• Posted

If you are concerned about being tired, this drug will make you a zombie. Seriously, many individuals on this forum (myself included) find it very difficult to get out of bed on this medication.  It is a potent antidepressant.  You will in all likelihood gain weight.  I don't have anything positive to say about this drug. It is not your run of the mill antidepressant.  I would not recommend going on it.  If you are having sleep problems, there are other alternatives.  I guarantee you that after a couple days of taking this drug, you will feel incredibly spaced out, in fact you will feel more tired than you already are.  Withdrawing from this medication, even after being on it for a short period of time, is very difficult for many people.  Even after a month, you will have significant withdrawal effects.  If you were depressed, that might be a reason to take this drug, but as I read your post, you are not depressed.  This isn't a medication to take lightly.  Knowing what I know now, I would not have taken this drug, and I was only on it for 1 month.

• Posted

Hi John

Your comments, among many others, seem to suggest that mirtazipine  is being prescribed for  problems it was never intended for and I am shocked that this type of thing is still going on. It seems as though doctors are not remembering the problems that prescribing benzodiazepines caused and how many people became dependent and suffered side effects as a result of their side effects.

• Posted

Drugs are certainly prescribed by physicians for off label use.  But Mirtazapine is first and foremost an antidepressant.  If you are not depressed, I find it a stretch to prescribe this drug for stress.  It is used for anxiety in some cases, but depending on the severity of your stress, I would suspect there are safer options with less side effects.  I was prescribed this drug because I had (i) depression, (ii) trouble sleeping and (iii) low appetite.  This drug is supposed to help out for each of these issues.  The drug is serious stuff.  Ask your p-doc if there are any other alternatives - truth be told I'd rather take a benzo than take mirtazapine - in fact I DO!!

• Posted

I have had issues with anxiety since 1987. I have had great therapists and had a well balanced 15 years or so.

My parents both had issues with anxiety as do cousins on my fathers side. If I could move back to the mountain house I lived in for many years and not be facing financial ruin, I would feel great.

And, of course, I have Xanax as well.

The prevalence of GAD, depression and suicide are rapidly climbing. Life is a challenge for many.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I’ve been taking mirtazapine for 4 years now, 15mg is the best option; I respect everyone’s story but mine is different mirtazapine saved my life I feel much more grounded. The thing is that you need to plan the day at the beginning you eat a lot but  2 weeks later your organism stabilises itself, I’m Personal trainer, I run everyday with my dog and still have energy to do the rest;  I take melatonin and passionflower in conjunction they work very well together . I hope it helps you.

Lot of love. 

• Posted

I and my therapist decided to take me off of the 15mg of mirtazapine 5 months ago. I want it back. I will eat properly and up my work outside. smile
    • Posted

Marie

Why couldn't you do that with a bit of forward planning?

Kim

• Posted

Crazy suggestion for this doctor. Wrong drug for you.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

I totally agree and think you have put it far more bluntly than I dared to. Crazy Doctor indeed - especially as a locum.

Best Wishes

Kim

• Posted

Hello and Thank you to all of you who have taken the time and trouble to reply to my Question.

There's certainly a bit to take in. It seems that the Don't take it outnumber the Do's.

I had decided I wouldn't take it before getting a second opinion from a Doctor, but I have a feeling that I probably won't take it anyway.

I haven't noticed any lessening of my tiredness since stopping lansoprazole.

I am trying to eat healthy ,and I do take a good quality pro and pre biotic capsule most days as well as slippery elm.

So, Thank you again and any more opinions welcome,

Good health to All, Mark.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.