Pressure after rectocele and vaginal prolapse surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks out of rectocele and vaginal prolapse surgery.  I'm having a lot of pressure in my vagina and rectum if I stand or walk more than 10 minutes. Can't sit in anything but recliner or lay in bed. Riding in a car is horrible and still not driving. Only relief I get is sitting in sitz bath 4-6 times a day. Just wondering if this is normal.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello sheila what you describe is perfectly normal. With prolapse repair the pain and discomfort can get worse around the 3rd week as the internal sutures start tightening and the repair starts to heal. Some urogynaecologists advise no baths until 6 weeks post op as this can make the wound "soggy" but obviously you have been advised otherwise. It depends on the sutures used. As for driving, in the U.K. most insurance companies and urogynaecologists advise no driving until you are at least 6 weeks post op because until then you couldn't safely do an emergency stop. It can invalidate your insurance. There's some useful information on the Genitourinary Prolapse home page under Useful Resources particularly the South Tees information. Take a look and see if it helps.

• Posted

Thank you for easing my mind.  This has truly been a long healing but I'm very blessed in so many ways. Thank you again.

• Posted

Thank you Sheila and Matron. I was seriously sitting (lying) here thinking when will I be able 'sit' again. My husband wants to go out for dinner or to the movies and I agree - I am dying to get out of the house, but I can't sit on anything. I still have a pessory in place, and I'm hoping that is causing the discomfort. 2 weeks post op. 

• Posted

I'm almost 6 weeks post op and suppose to return to work this week but not sure how I can. Still have the pressure (a little better the last 2 days) still can't sit  just anywhere, still not driving and doing very little around the house. I've understood this is normal and it is a very long recovery. Praying I can't get back to me soon.

• Posted

Oh Sheila - that is so hard! 

Hope it's not much longer x

• Posted

I think it's too early to be returning to work sheila, you're obviously not well enough and you could be putting all that good work your surgeon did at risk. It's early days in terms of your recovery and the repair won't have healed yet so it will be fragile. You should be at least 8 weeks post op before you even think about returning. Please take care.

• Posted

I have my post op Thursday and suppose to return to work Friday. I'm a teacher assistant and I miss my class and wonderful teacher I work with. I definitely don't want to mess up the wonderful work my surgeon has done and I want to be 100% when I return to my students. Praying the next 4 days show lots of improvements, less pressure and able to walk more, sit without discomfort, and feel like me again. Thank you for all your support, just wished I had found this site earlier in my recovery.  Prayers for you and be blessed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.