Pressure below ribs and losing weight

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, first time poster. I was diagnosed with IBS D about 14 years ago a year or so after my gallbladder was removed. I took a soil probiotic and it was under control, never had any major issues until. In 2020, due to the pandemic, I started enjoying some cookies, chocolates and dried oranges.

In early Oct 2020 , after my blood test, my doctor prescribed a statin to control my cholesterol. After a few days I became constipated and about 12 days I noticed bloating, and very uncomfortable digestive issues, like burping and flatulence. I stopped the statin 2 weeks later. However, my symptoms have continued to deteriorate, eventhough I stopped eating cookies, etc. I started eating more veggies, semi-raw, and salads, lentils, etc. My symptoms then became worse:. undigested food, a pressure (not pain) below my left ribcage that would come and go, mucus in stool, facial flushing with acne, constipation and diarrhea, dull belly pain, flatulence, stomach gurgling, and weight loss (30 lbs in 4 months) because I am not eating as much. Now the pressure has also moved to the right side, and it is constant. Feels worst sitting, better when standing and when asleep. About 30-90 minutes after I eat I feel the pressure accross my ribs increasing. When I touch the area, I feel like liquid moving

or something pulsating in that area. I have had blood tests, 2 abdominal xrays, an abdominal ultrasound, a CT scan and everything came back normal (except for some fatty liver which I have had for 15+ years, but all liver tests are normal).

I will be having a colonoscopy and endoscopy soon. Throughout this time I have tried low fodmap diet, various types of probiotics and digestive enzymes, but they do not seem to help much. The pressure below my ribs continue and it is driving me crazy. Still not eating well, I am drinking as a meal an Elemental Heal product, and maybe another 12 oz of soup. No nausea or vomiting. Does any one experience this? Is it my IBS? I cannot continue like this, because I feel so bad.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this.

I have the same symptoms as you. I have this discomfort in my upper abdomen which feels like some kind of pressure or tightness in my upper belly, it's not painful though. Sometimes, it can feel like a burning sensation but it's not common for me.

The discomfort/pressure is a daily thing which is worst when sitting and goes away when I'm standing. Also, it's not that bad and so, I can ignore it when I'm busy but yeah it's super annoying and I really want to get rid of it.

These are my only symptoms along with forehead acne and sometimes, constipation. I've tried medications but they don't seem to help.

Can you share your results from the endoscopy here? It would help a lot!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.