Prevent period after Esmya before hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I finished my 3 month course of Esmya last weekend but my hysterectomy isn't until 22nd Sept (6 weeks away). I have a history of horrendous heavy bleeds leading to unconsciousness and having blood transfusions, iron infusions etc (last episode was 2 weeks ago when still taking Esmya and I lost so much blood my systolic BP dropped to 50!) Just wondered if anyone else had to wait this long for the op and if you were given anything to prevent that first period after Esmya (Norethisterone, mini pill etc). I am terrified that I am going to end up in A & E yet again (been in 4 times now since May) before the operation.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Nannyterry,

Am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I am no visitor to what you are going through with respect to heavy flow , it can be drainning and exhausting-Please ensure that you are not stressing so self so much and having enough rest with alot of food. I have not yet taken the tablets Esmya bit am sure there are amazing ladies who will be glad to share their experiences, Hope you get well soon and continue to be strong. We will all come through at some point with fibroid. surely, we cannot let fibroid defeat us. I will be praying for you. Take care. Mary xx

• Posted

Hi Nannyterry,

So sorry to hear you are having such a terrible time. I can't say my experience has been the same as yours, but I have found everything so frustrating. I have been on zoladex for 3 months to shrink a fibroid to no avail, it is now huge, taking up most of my abdomin in size and pressing on the nerves on my spine and also my kidneys. You sound like you have had it pretty rough, for me my periods stopped completely due to weight loss and stress on my body which I guess in some ways has been a blessing, but I have been experiencing menopausal symptoms for a few years (according to the consultant) as a result, I just assumed this was normal. I first flagged up the problem in December last year and now have my op (finally) on Monday 18th August. It will be a myeomectomy (due to the fact I would like to have children) and only a hysterectomy if any complications, not going to say I am not nervous, but looking forward to no pain. I know it is not quite the same as a hysterectomy, but if you like I can tell you what happened to me after next week and keep in touch. Not much use, but if it does help please let me know. It does sound like you should not be waiting with such symptoms, but I have found you are an NHS number not a person. A friend of mine has had terrrible problems with fibroids for years and was told that is was just something women get! Whatever happens if I can help in anyway let me know, you are definately not alone, there seem to be lots of ladies on this forum who are only too happy to help. I hope that all is o.k and I agree with maryME that the stress is not doing you any favours (easier said than done, I have been a wreck many times). Look after yourself smile

• Posted

Yes, please let me know how you get on. I am seeing my GP tomorrow to see if Norethisterone is an option to prevent my period returning before my op in September. It isn't so much how long I have to wait for the operation, I know the NHS are under enormous pressure etc it's just that I know what will happen if I am allowed to have another period!  All the best for next week and you take care and get plenty of rest! 
  • Posted

Update:-

Been to GP who phoned my consultant who said I can go back on Esmya for another 4 weeks then they will decide what to do for the last 2 weeks before my op! I have missed 3 days of Esmya so let's see what happens!

• Posted

Hi nannyterry this was the situation I would havr been in, so my GP perscribed Esmya again for mr. Im now on my 13th week. Om concerned as im not sure what effect this will have on mr? although no teal side effects as yet
    • Posted

I have had a few headaches and dizziness this week (week 13 of Esmya) but that might be because I had 3 days without Esmya while waiting to see GP.  My last heavy bleed/haemorrhage was in week 10 so the Esmya doesn't stop that but thankfully it only lasts a day so I only spend a couple of days in hospital when it happens (along with about 3 litres of saline and 2 units of blood in resus!) Do you have a date yet for your op. I have 22 Sept but no doubt that will be cancelled and it will mean more trips to A & E and more Esmya!
    • Posted

Hi no I havent. Ive an appointment with the consultant on the 3rd sept which hopefully will give me a date for the procedure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.